Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    You are severely overstating the utility of the rogue compared to the other melee specs.
    Having a rogue at xhul to deny the black whole mechanic or having a SV hunter who brings what exactly?
    I hope im wrong, and u are right that they nerfed the rogue and DK utility in legion (claok longer cd and grip only for blood i believe)
    (Would be really cool if SV can also use exotic pets IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaji View Post
    That's.... what? How the hell can you construct an argument like that?

"Oh, people who chose to drive a Pinto signed up to explode."
    "But that issue wasn't discovered until the car had already been available for a while after initial run."
    "Yeah, notice how I used the past form, someone who "chose" a Pinto. They obviously didn't want to explode later when the option was available."
    And the point of this incoherent rambling is? I can confidently say that everyone who chose hunter before 7.0.3 didn't want to play a melee spec. That point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Did the change to melee not make them a good choice anymore... or they just not good during pre patch? They fun/not fun? Perform good/bad ?
    From a pvp perspective, they're not bad, but bm is the better spec. From a pve perspective, most melee specs bring better utility. On top of that, even with the artifact, they just seem ok dps wise. It was an unwise decision, imo, to change a ranged spec into a melee spec, when we have a new melee spec coming into the game that overshadows it completely. Plus, the raids in legion(especially mythic) are punishing for having too many melee. It was a decision of "what would be cool" over "what works". Unless they bump the numbers to make them top 3 or higher, or give them some must have utility, they're not going to be sought after, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    And the point of this incoherent rambling is? I can confidently say that everyone who chose hunter before 7.0.3 didn't want to play a melee spec. That point still stands.
    Haha, okay mate. You stand tall on your pedestal believing you speak for what everyone wants and all that.

Haha, okay mate. You stand tall on your pedestal believing you speak for what everyone wants and all that.
    So you want to claim that someone who wants to play melee during, let's say cataclsym, will main a hunter? I really don't get what you're up to. Technically, it was possible to play melee hunter until raptor strike was gone, but it was never viable.

That's.... what? How the hell can you construct an argument like that?

"Oh, people who chose to drive a Pinto signed up to explode."
    "But that issue wasn't discovered until the car had already been available for a while after initial run."
    "Yeah, notice how I used the past form, someone who "chose" a Pinto. They obviously didn't want to explode later when the option was available."
    Obviously people who wanted to play a melee class in the past didn't choose a hunter, because the hunter did not have the option of being melee. I'm pretty sure that's what he was getting at. But of course, I can't speak for him.

Your analogy is backwards. To mirror his point it should be like this:

"People who chose to drive a Pinto didn't sign up to explode"
    "But anyone who buys a Pinto now should know there is a chance of it exploding!"
    "Yeah, notice how I used the past form, that issue wasn't discovered until a while after the Pinto was originally available."
    Last edited by Aldare; 2016-08-15 at 11:24 AM.

I dunno, In pvp with the exception of no really good escapes from heavy slowing, (since Tiger doesn't suppress slows) I'm having a blast wracking up kills and being hell on objectives. Net Toss into and Expert Traps Steel Trap, then a macrod Lacerate+Murder of Crows+Dragonfire Grenade are a disgusting dps combo when you pop eagle and start dumping mongoose bites. Especially since between tartrap and net toss, your opponents are unlikely to honestly escape you without killing you first. Turtle is a hilarious way to deny burst, one of the only defensive cooldowns in the game that still outright denies damage as opposed to reducing damage taken by a portion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldare View Post
    Obviously people who wanted to play a melee class in the past didn't choose a hunter, because the hunter did not have the option of being melee. I'm pretty sure that's what he was getting at. But of course, I can't speak for him.

"But anyone who buys a Pinto now should know there is a chance of it exploding!"
    "Yeah, notice how I used the past form, that issue wasn't discovered until a while after the Pinto was originally available."
    That would be still wrong, since the issue wasn't simply unnoticed, but not present at all. And even then it's a very weird and twisted analogy.

I really don't get him. Is his point that he doesn't like the new sv spec? I don't like it either. So i switched to mm.

Survival is boatloads of fun. Something the hunter class has missed for awhile.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    I mean WoD was pretty hyped.
    To be fair, there was a pretty big difference between WoD hype and Legion hype.

WoD: Look at all these old legendary orcs. You get to fight against/alongside them now, so you should get hyped.
    Legion: Here's a lot of crazy stuff, some of which you guys have been asking for for a long time *hype happens on its own*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rolling a Hunter for ranged, growing to love Survival as my fave spec. Then finding out a melee spec is coming, which I didn't want and on top of that, it replaces my favourite spec.

I'm a little bit salty to say the least, the spec itself isn't actually that bad, the game really didn't need any more melee specs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldare View Post

Fair enough, but still. It's not necessarily about what was available at the time, it's what had been asked for by some and what the devs though of changing and/or bringing back. Otherwise it's like saying Warlocks didn't sign up to have green fire pre-5.2 because the option was not there. And you'd be right in a way, but green fire is what we were asking for.

In the case of melee Survival hunter, there have been quite a few people that remember WAY back in the day when Survival did have a melee variant, as well as ranged abilities. From what I remember, Survival was just played as a melee spec back then if you wanted to, because the ranged abilities available to Survival at that time were useless compared to just playing Marksmanship, and a lot of people over the years had asked Blizzard to reconsider that old "melee huntard" playstyle that was indicative of the time. So my point is that no, current hunters didn't "sign up" to be a melee DPS because the option was not present, but again it's not about that. It's that the option had been asked for, and now it's there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Rolling a Hunter for ranged, growing to love Survival as my fave spec. Then finding out a melee spec is coming, which I didn't want and on top of that, it replaces my favourite spec.

I'm a little bit salty to say the least, the spec itself isn't actually that bad, the game really didn't need any more melee specs though.
    I really like the "class fantasy" and the base idea behind a Mongoose Bite-stacking burst spec like Survival. I think at the moment the dev team didn't know quite how to bring their ideas for the spec to fruition, but give it a few update patches and some changes (which will without a doubt happen) and it'll probably turn out really really fun.

Personally I don't think Mongoose bite having an un-refreshable duration on Mongoose Fury feels very good. It's the "Colossus Smash" style of play with a ton of reliance on RNG to pay off, and when you aren't getting those charges of Mongoose Bite reset during that burst window, it feels sooo so bad. Then again, when you get back to back to back to back resets on Mongoose Bite during the spamfest, it does feel amazing

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Pretty sure approximately 0 people were asking for melee hunters.
    I was can finally play hunter again always hated the range no skill part. Survival is alot of fun but i heard its not performing up to bm or mm so obviously its gonna be less played-
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Pretty sure approximately 0 people were asking for melee hunters.
    I was excited for melee hunters for about an hour after they were announced, because we all remember this hilarious "Imma melee hunter" memes on the forums way back when, but then I was like, "wait, there's like already 20 melee specs in the game, why do we need another." I think Blizzard should have at least tried to do something interesting and made them a ranged/melee hybrid like classic hunter almost were.
    Last edited by lmaoboat; 2016-08-15 at 11:54 AM.

I think quite a few asked for a rexxar like hunter spec, don't know why the artifact is a polearm instead of the axes but I think that's where the current spec comes from.

The weirdest thing for me was that they turned survival into the melee spec instead of bm.
    Considering the fact that survival was melee spec in vanilla WoW it is not weird at all. As for polearm - if I recall correctly, polearm was "hunter weapon" as well before.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Did the change to melee not make them a good choice anymore... or they just not good during pre patch? They fun/not fun? Perform good/bad ?
    The problem is while the toolkit is interesting, it doesn't stand up to other melee classes. So-so mobility, no stun option whatsoever, lousy defensive cooldowns and a heal on an utterly insulting 3 min cooldown is not a good mix. Especially when you add damage that requires some serious ramp-up in to the mix.

I speak mostly from a PvP standpoint but I think much of the same applies to any aspect of the game. They are a novel option but do not compete nearly enough with the other strong melee choices such as Havoc DH, Unholy DK, WW Monk or Rogues of any flavor.

I think the issue is more that they offer nothing new - even their animations are rehashed from other specs (hello FoF). Also, their damage is only so-so on ST and not good for AoE. Add in a total lack of survival for the "Survival" spec and there is just nothing to really recommend them over another melee spec, except the pet, really. I like the idea, but not the execution.

a lot of people over the years had asked Blizzard to reconsider that old "melee huntard" playstyle that was indicative of the time
    I challenge you to find a single forum post from 2004-2015 that seriously asked for a melee hunter option.

And when you find that inevitable fringe-opinion post, we can then talk about finding several more so that you can back up such a ridiculous statement as "a lot of people asked for Blizzard to reconsider that playstyle".

No one played a Survival Hunter back in Vanilla for melee either, because it was shit and had no place in a spec with two (better) ranged specs. Just like then, Survival now will find no place in WoW, no matter how much they intentionally gut BM and MM in order to make SV look more appealing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reffan View Post
    Considering the fact that survival was melee spec in vanilla WoW it is not weird at all. As for polearm - if I recall correctly, polearm was "hunter weapon" as well before.
    Oh yeah from that perspective it does make sense, I just thought they wanted something like rexxar not the old hunter style ( never played it.)

I think quite a few asked for a rexxar like hunter spec, don't know why the artifact is a polearm instead of the axes but I think that's where the current spec comes from.

The weirdest thing for me was that they turned survival into the melee spec instead of bm.
    That's the part that gets me too I always thought BM would be the one that got changed into melee with duel weild axes rexxar gifts you with them to fight the legion or something something fluffy. I guess surv did have some melee talents back in vanilla but the spec changed a lot since then.

Survival could of gotten some kind of weird throwing spear as an artifact, although i might of been the only person in WoW who enjoyed that weapon type