Will affliction be competitive?

Thinking about a new main since I'm not keen on death knights for PvP since they butchered the self healing. What really draws me in on a class is

Good for PvE and PvP
    Self Healing
    Pets

Affliction is almost always good in pvp, so will it be decent for legion raiding/dungeoning?

7+ Year Old Account
    Decent? yes.
    Optimal? probably not.
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

I suspect it will be the pvp spec.

What about mythic+? Any warlock here who played on beta and did some mythic+ runs? What is your opinion?

No, warlocks need buffs in PvE for all 3 specs. Atm none are viable, there's other classes that can do what warlocks do and do it better.
    In world firsts you won't see more than 1 warlock for healthstones and that's far stretched too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EliteNightKnight View Post
    What about mythic+? Any warlock here who played on beta and did some mythic+ runs? What is your opinion?
    I played mage and warlock in mythic+ and warlocks are bottom of dps, behind tanks and close to healers(yea healers do dps now)
    Warlocks have very slow ramp up, bad aoe, bad mobility, destro is the only spec that might see some play. Currently mages do about 2x dmg of warlocks in mythic+

Quote Originally Posted by EliteNightKnight View Post
    Mythic + kinda means they would have to help ailong classes. At least in theory.

That is content which is meant to be accessible

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    I played mage and warlock in mythic+ and warlocks are bottom of dps, behind tanks and close to healers(yea healers do dps now)
    Warlocks have very slow ramp up, bad aoe, bad mobility, destro is the only spec that might see some play. Currently mages do about 2x dmg of warlocks in mythic+
    It wouldn't be right if mages didn't have 1 disgustingly overpowered spec, that never gets "balanced". WoD had 1 million+ burst arcane mage. Now we have fire mages, x2 better than any other spec in the game.

Just roll mage for everything.

Deleted
    None of the warlock specs are particularly competetive. The best you can hope for is "average" by playing destruction. There is nothing warlocks do that lots of other classes can do, and do much better.

For example, there is no situation in which an MM hunter is not strong. They don;t even have to play the switching talents game because their AOE talents are not big losses for single target, and cleave is part of the standard rotation, you literally change nothing and cleave passively.

Demonology is by far the weakest with mediocre at best dps potential that goes down the pan in real encounters because of it;s horredous lack of mobility, rampup times that are even worse than afflictions, crap target switching, crap aoe and crap burst

Affliction is what affliction always was

Destruction has th ebest tools, but you won;t beat a competent fire mage, MM hunter, unholy DK or demon hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    No, warlocks need buffs in PvE for all 3 specs. Atm none are viable, there's other classes that can do what warlocks do and do it better.
    In world firsts you won't see more than 1 warlock for healthstones and that's far stretched too.

- - - Updated - - -

If you were that close to the healers are you shure u played it correctly? look @ Chopsor on twitch, he is close to fire mages in higher mythic+ (both AoE and ST), defenetly not as bad as you say as they are

Aff locks ramp time is to high atm, we need to stack as much haste as possible (as usualy when playing aff lock). The legendary head will be BiS and help with shorter ramp time.

Mages will probaly always be the best ranged dps class followed by hunters, warlocks have alot more ups and downs.

the class as a whole needs a buff, which is why i laughed to myself just last week when i saw yet another nerf...think it was an Aff one. However, destro isnt...horrible. Wreak Havoc is still the strongest cleave in the game, but that is destros strong point. On an ST fight you will be sub par. Pre patch all specs are in a pretty bad spot, but...with the artifact at lvl 110 destro is actually pretty nice and dare i say a little fun. This is also coming from someone who hates destro with a passion. Id much rather be aff/demo but blizz continues to think warlocks meant to select "mage" on the character selection screen and pigeonhole us into one spec...yet again.

With the changes, wreak havoc, and the artifact, i suppose i can tolerate it. I will however be leveling my DH the instant i finish leveling my lock, just in case.

While i plan on sticking with my lock, i would never suggest someone looking for a new class to play to pick one...right now at least.

7+ Year Old Account
    I sense the same "end of the world" talk on the warlock forum as we had before WoD aswell.

And before Mop... also before every previous expansion before that.

Dont worry guys, you can play your warlocks, you'll be fine.
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

*shakes magic 8-ball*

"Ask again later"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by futei View Post
    Aff locks ramp time is to high atm, we need to stack as much haste as possible (as usualy when playing aff lock). The legendary head will be BiS and help with shorter ramp time.
    I find this highly debatable since that helmet has no synergy with any other item. If the ramp time is too long you obviously do not play the standard setup with Writhe in Agony - you play Drain Soul instead. I believe the wrist/waist combo to be BiS for most situations when combined with tier and Contagion since it should be decently easy to keep high uptimes of low stack UAs on multiple targets. For single target w/ high priority adds, that helmet does very little since you're likely to nuke with UA instead.

I fully expect the spec to be viable. The only issue with the spec is how situational it is and not the damage itself. It'll have higher highs and lower lows than destro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    *shakes magic 8-ball*

"Ask again later"
    You win.

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    He was just surprised that demons can also summon you.
    That's a soviet russia of dark magic right here.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ldemort/simple

Deleted
    Gonna be kinda hard to balance right, since we seem OP in pvp.

I am a total pvp noob and seem to be doing really well, which is odd. I get owned with my mage, for example.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-08-15 at 02:50 PM.

Deleted
    Given that PVP and PVE are now separate and can have multipliers and modifiers, "making us too strong in PVP" is now a non-issue.

You're doing well in PVP because warlocks have strong survivability in World of Meleecraft whilst mages are glass canons.