Thread: No Man's Sky

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    On PC, press and hold F to activate the scanner. Then hover over creatures, plants and objects to scan them.
    to add to this: just remember to build a scanner on an empty slot of your weapon/tool first

Quote Originally Posted by Unalorian View Post
    to add to this: just remember to build a scanner on an empty slot of your weapon/tool first
    Turns out I didn't know multitool scanners were a thing. I've made one now. Looks like I missed out on a ton of units in my first system, lol.

Also, ever since I started playing there's a "You have lost connection to online services" message at the bottom of the screen. I guess their servers are borked?
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2016-08-15 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unalorian View Post
    Ah yeah, forgot that part ^_^
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Polygon has some pretty good, if perhaps somewhat basic, guides to the game, including how to make units fast, and how to get more inventory space: http://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2...mans-sky-guide

Also, the following article is a pretty good read on the differences between no man's sky, elite: dangerous and star citizen: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/12/124...lite-dangerous

I honestly cannot envision the tidal wave of tears that will be star citizens release.

nms vs elite is a very easy comparison but you can see that they are polar opposites in what aspect had the most development time, elites release exploration was pretty lack lustre, but the combat is pretty deep and dynamic. which is somewhat the opposite for nms, the exploration is vast, but the combat / flight model kinda shallow in comparison. there is still a fair bit of modual stacking an you can min/max quite a lot with moduals. although i think elites combat generally has more overall intricacies.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-15 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I honestly cannot envision the tidal wave of tears that will be star citizens release.

nms vs elite is a very easy comparison but you can see that they are polar opposites in what aspect had the most development time, elites release exploration was pretty lack lustre, but the combat is pretty deep and dynamic. which is somewhat the opposite for nms, the exploration is vast, but the combat / flight model kinda shallow in comparison. there is still a fair bit of modual stacking an you can min/max quite a lot with moduals. although i think elites combat generally has more overall intricacies.
    At this point I will be pleasantly surprised if SC ever even releases, but yes that game is another example, maybe the ultimate example, of a game that can never match the hype.
    The difference is that SC created a lot of hype themselves that they can never meet while NMS had people hyping it up and the developer staying vague to allow it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Good video...I just watched it about a half an hour ago.

The amount of Hype and attention this game has received is insane and way over the top for what it is. Good game, bad game, I really don't care as that's not the point of the video. The self feeding snowball of hype that surrounds No Man's Sky serves nobody. All it does is foster this strange environment where death threats for a few week's delay is merited. It's all been very interesting to watch.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah, forgot that part ^_^
    Also try to group the different upgrades together. They will benefit from being next to upgrades that modify the same stuff. So scanner, visor, and range upgrades all together. They will have a line outlining the "block" when they get the synergy effect. I hate how the new multi-tools have some stuff together and others all scattered. Its the worse with ships from what I've found.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I managed to get it, and quite a few other "ship default" items like photon cannon, a few times off of the wall mounted consoles you scan for blueprints. I'm basically at the point where I get nothing new from those, though with a 48 slot multi tool fully maxed out it's not like I have much space for them anymore.

If anyone is still searching for multi tools that can contain more slots, then go to any system with vy'keen in them and they will throw new multi tools at you. Basically you'll get at least 2 more slots each time you upgrade your multi tool.
    I'm stuck in a Gek system, the only thing I can scan gives me multi-tools or new words. Maybe some credits =(

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    At this point I will be pleasantly surprised if SC ever even releases, but yes that game is another example, maybe the ultimate example, of a game that can never match the hype.
    The difference is that SC created a lot of hype themselves that they can never meet while NMS had people hyping it up and the developer staying vague to allow it.
    yep it has been quite a shit storm, I'm optimistic about the post release support though, in the end they want as many ppl to like it as possible. this thread is a pretty good documentation of what you could have expected if you go back a year or so. I honestly didn't get the impression it would be the next sliced bread with a full blown multiplayer aspect, no what I mostly remember is that it would primarily be a single player game. but I did like the look of the game and the easy going aesthetic.

I would say hopefully ppl learn something from this about hype but there are lots of folks in the steam forum ranting like its their first game release. the problem is that it seems to escalate exponentially, its like each hate thread has to one up the next hate threads, so we got generalisations out the wazoo and blatant hyperbole. bleh its painful to read.

yep it has been quite a shit storm, I'm optimistic about the post release support though, in the end they want as many ppl to like it as possible. this thread is a pretty good documentation of what you could have expected if you go back a year or so. I honestly didn't get the impression it would be the next sliced bread with a full blown multiplayer aspect, no what I mostly remember is that it would primarily be a single player game. but I did like the look of the game and the easy going aesthetic.

I would say hopefully ppl learn something from this about hype but there are lots of folks in the steam forum ranting like its their first game release. the problem is that it seems to escalate exponentially, its like each hate thread has to one up the next hate threads, so we got generalisations out the wazoo and blatant hyperbole. bleh its painful to read.
    The problem with generalisation is, you too just applied it. Statements like "let's hope people learn from this", imply that the fault wholly lies with the people, the individual. If you take a look at all the interviews, you might not see explicit confirmation, but you do clearly see more than just vagueness. In some cases questions were asked that were answered with a [yes]:[condition]. The questions about multiplayer were answered with "Yes, but rare". One interview actually has no condition, it simply states yes.

In my language, and English my second language, yes means yes. It's shocking, I agree.

Now, since the beginning I've not been into the hype. I've even been a lurker in this thread, rather than actively debating, which is normally against my nature. I guess being in your 30ies actually means something for real. I have finally grown up. I'm now immune to hype. I think.

But the fans make statements that imply that the developer never promised features that it does not currently have, which is a pertinent lie. The fault still lies with developers that promise features they can not deliver. Whether you are an Indie developer or a legendary liar like Peter Molyneux, a liar is a liar. It's reasonable to shield yourself emotionally from hype, but it's still the moral obligation of publishers and developers to speak the fucking truth.

lets hope ppl learn from this, as in the ppl who bought the game based purely on hype, not that those who bought it for another reason are included in that.

the multiplayer thing is simply a minor issue for me, not only does its inclusion make very little overall difference to the game, it doesn't seem like it would be a sound decision game design wise, you got a nearly infinite universe where players spawn in randomly and so then what you have 2 friends buy the game.

'yay lets play nms together <3 '

'i spawned in xxx galaxy'

'oh i spawned in yyy galaxy'

'shit'

so as you can see multiplayer being included would have most likely been an equal cluster fuck based entirely on the game design.

did he lie maybe maybe not
    does game development mean features get dropped, yes
    does the exclusion of mp break the game, no.

he emphasized in nearly every video that it would primarily be a single player game and somehow, the exclusion of multiplayer is some massive conspiracy.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-15 at 08:15 PM.

lets hope ppl learn from this, as in the ppl who bought the game based purely on hype, not that those who bought it for another reason are included in that.

the multiplayer thing is simply a minor issue for me, not only does its inclusion make very little overall difference to the game, it doesn't seem like it would be a sound decision game design wise, you got a nearly infinite universe where players spawn in randomly and so then what you have 2 friends buy the game.

'shit'

so as you can see multiplayer being included would have most likely been an equal cluster fuck based entirely on the game design.

I do not disagree with you, it's the implication that it does exist, while fully knowing that it does not exist, is what gets to me. In any other situation we would be talking about fraud, but since it's pretty common for developers to scam their consumers, I guess we'll just shrug it off like we're used to doing.

Regardless of how I personally look at it; It was implied, now we find out it's simply not in period.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    The problem with generalisation is, you too just applied it. Statements like "let's hope people learn from this", imply that the fault wholly lies with the people, the individual. If you take a look at all the interviews, you might not see explicit confirmation, but you do clearly see more than just vagueness. In some cases questions were asked that were answered with a [yes]:[condition]. The questions about multiplayer were answered with "Yes, but rare". One interview actually has no condition, it simply states yes.

In my language, and English my second language, yes means yes. It's shocking, I agree.

Now, since the beginning I've not been into the hype. I've even been a lurker in this thread, rather than actively debating, which is normally against my nature. I guess being in your 30ies actually means something for real. I have finally grown up. I'm now immune to hype. I think.

But the fans make statements that imply that the developer never promised features that it does not currently have, which is a pertinent lie. The fault still lies with developers that promise features they can not deliver. Whether you are an Indie developer or a legendary liar like Peter Molyneux, a liar is a liar. It's reasonable to shield yourself emotionally from hype, but it's still the moral obligation of publishers and developers to speak the fucking truth.
    They never promised any multiplayer features, except for the very rare chance of actually seeing another player.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

15+ Year Old Account
    good game bad game who cares if you enjoy playing it that's the only opinion that matters.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

hopefully ppl can get the best of both worlds, seeing as the game has sold rather well, i'm sure its not beyond the scope of possibility to at least get the ppl who want it, p2p instancing.

it would never be as good as server/client but it would probably simmer some tempers.

'shit'

he emphasized in nearly every video that it would primarily be a single player game and somehow, the exclusion of multiplayer is some massive conspiracy.
    The problem is that the developer said it was possible when that is clearly not the case.
    It has nothing to do with how practical it would be.

Some people are very disappointed in the game and are looking to justify their opinion and hype. They are looking for something to blame and the developer lying about a feature, even if it is minor, is something to latch on to.

They never promised any multiplayer features, except for the very rare chance of actually seeing another player.
    And we have now learned that you can infact never see another player because there is no finished player model.

Aka they lied, or changed their mind some time during development (which is normal and can happen) and then failed to inform their customers.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

They said you can see other players and its super rare, then even added a comment about it being the only way to know what you look like.

We have now learned you CAN NOT see anyone else in the game.

That is 100% lying.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-15 at 08:29 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    After another 8 hours today, I must say I'm enjoying it. It's a solid 7 for me and the repetitive experience is more fun than I had thought. The exploration aspect is fairly decent, even on the specific planets themselves by lookin for outposts, monoliths, small bases, drop pods, crashed ships and trying to 100% a planet is actually fairly fun.

Cave systems are easily the best part of this game (sounds stupid I know). They are great, although the procedural machine knows only 4-5 layouts for caves. They are incredibly atmospheric and colorful.

I just cleared my starter system (which was full of purple deserts) and jumped to a much more lush system off the main track. Looks cool enough to have some more fun.

It is a chill exploration experience. Repetitive for sure, but visually stunning nontheless. It is an immersive experience if your goal is to just hang back and kill some time, which is what I expected going in. For an astronomy geek like me it's just cool to be able to play a space game, how limited in depth it might be, that looks as beautiful as this game (art direction wise).

Didn't think I'd end up feeling this way as the hype backlash was horrible.

I hope they add a profession type system and a well-thought out crafting/building system to give more purpose to what we're doing. I'm not going to continue exploring for another 4 weeks, even though I might eventually end up logging about 60-70 hours. If I can get $2 per hour (roughly the equivalent of a well-sized book, which is what I compare games to in terms of experience) out of my game, then I'm happy.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-15 at 08:35 PM.