Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    My annoyance with cyclists is that they randomly pick and choose when to follow street rules. Like sometimes they are in the lane, sometimes they are in the pedestrian crosswalk or on the sidewalk, sometimes they cross in front of you, it's just chaotic.

I drive both a car and a motorcycle. Could you imagine me on my motorcycle just arbitrarily deciding to drive along the sidewalk?? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, it's silly because experience teaches that something like a DMV for bikes would have more costs associated with it than it would plausibly raise in revenue. There's no plausible accounting by which cyclists are sufficiently costly or dangerous to make a registration and insurance regime seem like a good idea to anyone that doesn't just want to punish cyclists for whatever it is the anti-cycling people are mad about.

How much more do you figure it costs to paint a road with bike lanes than it does to paint the same road with traffic lanes only?

This is really stupid. You might as well advocate that people need to register their legs to go outside. Let's just be clear, there's nothing pragmatic about your suggestion, it's purely about having a weird dislike of cyclists.
    Why does it need to raise revenue? It's about offsetting costs, making riders responsible for their actions, and protecting other people from their negligence.

I've seen people's cars get kicked. I've seen people's car's mirrors get broken off. If you operate a vehicle on public roadways it should be tagged and insured, and operators should be licensed so they can be ticketed for violations.

The people with the attitude are cyclists. Most of them are insufferable pricks/cunts who feel like they are entitled to do whatever the fuck they want on the road, and we should get out of their way and let them run red lights and stop signs because they're superior for riding a bicycle.

The only reason not to tag/register/insure a bicycle is because the people who ride them are entitled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Sorry, I meant to but I was stuck in traffic because of bicyclists and slow drivers. Couldn't look it up. Then I got to work and had two no-shows so I'm about four hours behind on paperwork, inventory, and such. I'll look it up sometime next year.
    4 hours behind on paperwork and you're posting on MMO-C. Employee of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I agree with you OP. Bikers should GTFO the road.

Also I occasionally bike, and I make sure I'm never on the road when I do it because I don't want to be that guy.

My general policy for doing things in public places is this: Don't waste people's time.
    More people riding bikes need to follow this rule.

Cars are death, simple as that. They are death rushing past you constantly. Use the sidewalks, stay off the road and try to keep things between you and cars because the moment one person messes up on either side, you will die. There is a spot in Southern California called Sorrento Valley where a lot of private and defense industry happens. Anyways, a lot of older people turning into reformed health nuts decide to ride their bikes to work, but want to still get to work as fast as possible. So they'll literally ride their bikes right next to cars going 50+ mph, they'll ride their bikes when it is light or dark, and it's not like there aren't sidewalks, there are sidewalks all the way from either side of the freeway to wherever people want to work. They'll still ride in the street and risk getting hit by a car. More than a handful of idiots die like that every year, it is absurd.

That being said, I love riding my bike. I go mountain biking as often as I can. I don't delude myself into thinking that I am somehow equal to someone driving a car and attempt for space on the road.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    4 hours behind on paperwork and you're posting on MMO-C. Employee of the month.
    Owner of the Year, with some free time at the computer, between busting his ass with incompetent staff and endless WTF just happened for sometimes 100 hours per week?

Sure.

I'll take my five minutes to call you a fucking cunt. Infraction incoming. I'm placing bets on @Darsithis ?

Mod Edit: Infracted
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2016-08-15 at 08:24 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Owner of the Year, with some free time at the computer, between busting his ass with incompetent staff and endless WTF just happened for sometimes 100 hours per week?

Sure.

I'll take my five minutes to call you a fucking cunt. Infraction incoming. I'm placing bets on @Darsithis ?
    Owner of the year recruits incompetent people? I mean, come one - think anyone here believes you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    My annoyance with cyclists is that they randomly pick and choose when to follow street rules. Like sometimes they are in the lane, sometimes they are in the pedestrian crosswalk or on the sidewalk, sometimes they cross in front of you, it's just chaotic.

I drive both a car and a motorcycle. Could you imagine me on my motorcycle just arbitrarily deciding to drive along the sidewalk?? LOL.
    I don't drive like that. Don't generalise. Any moron can ride a bicycle, unfortunately, however motor vehicle drivers have usually been trained and have proved their skill.

There are plenty of competent cyclists who deserve your respect, like me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I've seen people's cars get kicked. I've seen people's car's mirrors get broken off. If you operate a vehicle on public roadways it should be tagged and insured, and operators should be licensed so they can be ticketed for violations.
    What if that would deter people from cycling (and it will) and they choose a car, get fat, and cost more money to society that way? Wouldn't you then want people to at least choose the bicycle?

The people with the attitude are cyclists. Most of them are insufferable pricks/cunts who feel like they are entitled to do whatever the fuck they want on the road, and we should get out of their way and let them run red lights and stop signs because they're superior for riding a bicycle.
    No. Literally every cyclist friend I have is a responsible driver and they all (except one) have a driver's licence. They don't run red lights or stop signs. It's a case of I say, you say of course. However I'm sure you agree with me that a cyclist has probably never endangered your life when you were in your car, but I meet dangerous car drivers weekly. Think about priorities.

The only reason not to tag/register/insure a bicycle is because the people who ride them are entitled.
    No. I think the most likely reason at this date is that it would effectively stop cycling for a large number of people. They wouldn't be able to get to work or do their shopping if they can't afford the licences, training and insurance. I'd like to hear a way around this problem that would keep people on their bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    So it's summer, a lot of people are out riding their bikes. I often see these signs.

I really have to ask though, what's with these people's entitlement? They just sit there in the middle of the road and block up traffic.

You could ask me the same thing, but one of my job's responsibilities is to drive which also requires a driver's license, registration and insurance. So I pay about $12,300 a year just to be allowed to pull my car out of my driveway. And that's not even counting the insurance for the truck. I'm just trying to do my job and go home, just like so many other people.

I mean, that's how backwards this country is. I have to pay to move from point a to point b and to do my job. You do it for fun (or because you got a DUI. in which case, fuck you) and it's free.

Am I wrong to be furious with these people?

First, it's not free. You seem to be under the impression that only vehicle related fees and taxes go towards maintaining the roads you drive on. You are incorrect.

Second, 12k a year, without insurance, to put your vehicle on the road. Until I see a breakdown of these expenses, I'm gonna have to call bullshit. Registration might be what, $1000 every 2 years for the truck on the high side? With the information given ,that means you are spending over $10,000 a year on your driver's license. Ok. I've read through your posts and I'm guessing your're including costs for your personal vehicle, with insurance, as well as your commercial vehicle. I'm guessing your personal vehicle is a Mustang, and your insurance is higher because of it. That still doesn't explain away $10,000 a year, unless you are actually a horrible driver with insurance rates that reflect that, which I assume you are given that you claim to have been in wrecks, and enjoy wrecking cars for fun.

Third, not everyone rides a bicycle simply for fun, much the same way not all people who have cars drive them for work related purposes. Quite often they are just trying to get to their job or go home, just like you. Your stance on this point is absurd.

Yeah, it's infuriating; But hey, they pay taxes too for the use of those roads.

If you are having issues, perhaps you should petition your local government for more bike lanes so the cyclists are off to the side and not holding up traffic.
    ~RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    We're all entitled to freely use the roads to cycle.
    "Them" is not a thing. We're all cyclists. You are just choosing not to exercise your entitlement to that privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by latuman View Post
    What if that would deter people from cycling (and it will) and they choose a car, get fat, and cost more money to society that way? Wouldn't you then want people to at least choose the bicycle?
    Driving a car doesn't make you fat.

No. Literally every cyclist friend I have is a responsible driver and they all (except one) have a driver's licence. They don't run red lights or stop signs. It's a case of I say, you say of course. However I'm sure you agree with me that a cyclist has probably never endangered your life when you were in your car, but I meet dangerous car drivers weekly. Think about priorities.
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a responsible bicyclist, and I live in a large metropolitan area. I see at least 15-20 of them every day on my commute running stop signs, impeding traffic, yelling at people and hitting their cars with fists/feet. And yes, running stop signs endangers everyones life.

No. I think the most likely reason at this date is that it would effectively stop cycling for a large number of people. They wouldn't be able to get to work or do their shopping if they can't afford the licences, training and insurance. I'd like to hear a way around this problem that would keep people on their bikes.
    If you can't afford to operate a bicycle on public roads...walk or ride the bus just like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    registration is paying for your state to put you on the list of ppl who drive vehicles
    and you can get a ticket for not having it and your vehicle towed and eventually have your license revoked over it, so you have to have it to take it on the road

i mean i don't know how to break it down any better than that

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    If you feel as if you cannot operate a vehicle without striking other persons *that are not breaking any traffic laws*, you need to relinquish your license, simple as that. Your inability to operate safely is a cause for concern, and as you've already stated, your only concern is for the safety and well being of others. :-)
    We all have accidents. Sometimes shit happens.

Nobody wants the shit to be a person they injured in an accident - you're reading too far into this in a coy attempt to provoke an aggressive response.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Credibility out the door bro. There is no way (unless you have a terribly high car payment)
    well i deeply apologize for not publishing my life story in the opening post. But yeah, you're right. this cost does not cover just one vehicle. however the value of the fee itself is irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by gtfo_my_internets View Post
    That still doesn't explain away $10,000 a year, unless you are actually a horrible driver with insurance rates that reflect that, which I assume you are
    ok well i'm just going to assume you're not mature enough to comprehend a few essential concepts to participate in this discussion since we're all here throwing out baseless assumptions

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post

I'm guilty of this on every ride I take and it all has to do with taking the safest route.

Cycling is very popular where I live and the infrastructure right along the beach is great for cyclists. Go inland not even a quarter mile and you have high speed lanes where the speed limit is 50mph (but people regularly go 70+mph) coupled with lost tourists looking at their phones more than the road. Bike lanes are non-existent or when they do exist they go through areas where you are likely to be 'doored' by cars parked to the right of the bike lane. There are also intersections where you can't cross at all four points and being on a bicycle either forces you to take the lane (which some people are understandably shy of doing) or use the cross walk and go against the flow of traffic.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think it's funny how i've mentioned narrow country roads multiple times but people get the impression i'm bitching about cyclists on main street or anywhere near city limits because people keep talking about cyclists in their city

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yup, you're wrong. They have a legal right to use the road.

我從** Tapatalk 的 SGH-N075T 發送

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    i think it's funny how i've mentioned narrow country roads multiple times but people get the impression i'm bitching about cyclists on main street or anywhere near city limits because people keep talking about cyclists in their city
    It couldn't be because of:

They just sit there in the middle of the road and block up traffic.
    Or anything... I grew up in the country. The cyclists there usually stick to the lane they are supposed to be in. You might want to check your driving manual since you claim to be a professional driver and reread the section on "sharing the road." The law states that they are entitled to the road the same as you. They pay taxes the same as you meaning they put the road there and help pay for maintaining it the same as you. Stop being an entitled douche.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yup, you're wrong. They have a legal right to use the road.
    http://sharevaroads.org/virginia-laws/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll stop acting as if I were entitled when I am no longer entitled.

But y'know this is exactly what I am talking about. I have enough infractions to be familiar with policies, especially those relevant to flaming. But y'all never seem to give a fuck when people talk to me like this.

I'd probably try a little bit harder to respect your policies if y'all ever put any effort into enforcing them.

The bad rep cyclists have, is for good reason. They have a legal right to use the road, we know, that doesn't mean they are free of criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.