Poll: Should Blizzard reveal current subscription numbers?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    I don't think you seem to understand what the pre-order thing means.

If WoW went from 7 million to 10 millions subscribers for Warlords of Draenor, that means....10 million pre-orders. An increase of 3 million subscribers doesn't mean only 3 million people bought the expansion. It means 10 million people did.

Now bear with me, I know this is hard. If 10 million pre-orders was what Warlords got, and Legion is getting a similar amount of pre-orders....that means roughly 10 million pre-orders. I know this logic is hard, but I think you can do it. But please, explain to me how my math is bad when you don't understand that pre-orders and subscriber numbers are different things.
    No expansion, WoD included, sold anywhere close to 10 million copies. Nor did ATVI report that Legion has the same number of pre-orders as WoD. 'Tracking in line...' gives no information as to how many copies have been pre-ordered, it is nothing more than meaningless marketing fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    No expansion, WoD included, sold anywhere close to 10 million copies. Nor did ATVI report that Legion has the same number of pre-orders as WoD. 'Tracking in line...' gives no information as to how many copies have been pre-ordered, it is nothing more than meaningless marketing fluff.
    The actual point was that he's comparing apples and oranges, which is what I was trying to get across. If he's going to pull numbers out of thin air and call me an idiot, I can do the same. We won't know actual sale numbers until well after release, and I'm sure they won't be anywhere near 5 million, much less 10, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a large spike considering the amount of beta keys thrown around and the artifacts and new class being added; expansions that have added new classes have generally been the best selling in the past overall, although the hype for monks died off pretty damn quickly compared to Death Knights and (most likely) Demon Hunters because of the ease of getting into the "hero" classes with their reduced leveling requirements.

And to be fair, they've had an average of about ~2.8 million expansion sales within 24 hours of expansion release for every single expansion released so far, and that's just day 1. That's not counting any people who may buy it later after reviews or friends, and people who may just not buy it on the first day. 5+ million isn't really unheard of at all for WoW expansions, and I'm sure they've gotten close to 10 million on some of them (Wrath and, sadly, Cata most likely) but with them all being lumped into the main game at some points it makes it difficult to really track after they're "merged" with the main game for purchasing reasons.
    Last edited by Cronovey; 2016-08-15 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyssian View Post
    I think the investors care more about trends/tendencies than they do about numbers themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

And why do you want to know the game's health? What does it change in your PERSONAL experience as a player?
    And how you knowing helps Blizzard?
    Some people like me care about the game and it's health more than other people. As someone who wants to be a game developer (even if it never happens), especially in Blizzard, the health of the game I'm going to play until either my or its final breath certainly matters to me.

I'm really curious about the subscriber numbers because it makes me happy seeing them grow and sad seeing them drop. I want this game to flourish and become more and more successful as years pass so that one day, when I can finally afford to play it properly, on a good PC, with enough money to pay my subscription and expansions as well as time to enjoy it and do everything I want to do in it, it would still be there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    The actual point was that he's comparing apples and oranges, which is what I was trying to get across. If he's going to pull numbers out of thing air and call me an idiot, I can do the same. We won't know actual sale numbers until well after release, and I'm sure they won't be anywhere near 5 million, much less 10, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a large spike considering the amount of beta keys thrown around and the artifacts and new class being added; expansions that have added new classes have generally been the best selling in the past overall, although the hype for monks died off pretty damn quickly compared to Death Knights and (most likely) Demon Hunters because of the ease of getting into the "hero" classes with their reduced leveling requirements.
    His response was unnecessarily hostile but the premise behind it, that you cannot determine the number of pre-orders from the vague terminology Blizzard are using , is correct.

It's clearly not worth the drama it brings blizzard if they were to report it again. It doesn't take into account wow tokens extra cost or how many are playing from region which the sub is cheaper vs more expensive.

Deleted
    There is nothing delicate about this. Subscription numbers should have no bearing on your enjoyment of the game.

There are two options:
    1. If you're seeking validation, you should ask yourself if you genuinely enjoy the game for the game's sake anymore, if not, just stop and do something you really enjoy.
    2. If you felt personally slighted by Blizzard and the game at some moment in the past and are now just gleefully awaiting the game's "downfall", I can only wish you good luck with your first school year when this summer ends.

they did report the numbers, but it was the numbers for the whole portfolio of games

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Doomsayers get to say "SEE WOW IS DYING", that really it.
    And on the opposing side:

Every launch before 2-5 million drop again, fanbois get to go "OMG, see... I FUCKING TOLD YOU X expansion was going to save the game.. METZEN iz the bestest and this is PROOF"

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbac View Post
    Claiming that Blizzard should do something is on the same level as saying you should shut up.
    This..I like..

- - - Updated - - -

Delicate? no this is far from delicate, this is annoying..
    Why would you like to see numbers? will you play more, happier, knowing the subs of WoW?
    The only people that I assume will likely see numbers are investors..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Nobody cares about subscription numbers except people who are desperate for a reason to hate the game.
    ^this.
    so much this.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly no other game companies have the balls to report their numbers why should Blizzard have to anymore?

Ya Blizzard reported their numbers for 11-12 years than stopped, but even when they stopped they had 5.5 Mill. They may or may not have those numbers anymore & we may never hear from them about it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Nobody cares about subscription numbers except people who are desperate for a reason to hate the game.
    10/10 Answer
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    They really shouldn't reveal current subscription numbers, what if it's a low amount? It will highly affect the community, why and how? Most people don't like to play dead games or games with a lower amount of players, if the numbers are low they'll most likely quit. However, I do think that with Legion coming the subscription numbers will rise like a skyrocket so it'd be nice if they revealed later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

Lately, Blizzard seems to be only including the very bare minimum to shareholders. No concrete numbers, just that WoW is successful, and they are profitable, without mention of much else.
    No, Blizzard gives full data to shareholders, concrete numbers. They must. To the rest of people (like us), yes, they give the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    This is an interesting, yet delicate topic. One that can't be solved easily. It is in every interest to Blizzard to stop reporting subscription numbers, since WoW continues to garner revenue via added-value. To most people, this is known as: the cash-shop store. The "store" has become so popular that it has offset subscription losses, and investors are aware of this.

The overall WoW revenue for Blizzard during investor reports is now made to encapsulate added-value, while not including subscription numbers.

Lately, Blizzard seems to be only including the very bare minimum to shareholders. No concrete numbers, just that WoW is successful, and they are profitable, without mention of much else. I get they have other projects, but there is also no mention how much money goes into them either, failed or successful, or if even released.

I believe Blizzard should be more forthcoming about everything dealing with WoW, since this is their bread and butter. I don't appreciate when large companies hide behind other statistics to mask something deeper going on. If money is being diverted, I want to know.

So the question is:

Should Blizzard disclose more information about WoW than they seem to be willing to?
    Sub numbers are rather unimportant and as been the case befor, both people and other companies can use these sub numbers against Blizzard.
    WoW makes money, a lot of money and thats really all you need to know both as a player and a shareholder.

I get that you have a certain agenda, OP and that you'd love to find some proof that "WoW is dying" or "it was better in vanilla" but I doubt that would help Blizzard so why would they help you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    And on the opposing side:

Every launch before 2-5 million drop again, fanbois get to go "OMG, see... I FUCKING TOLD YOU X expansion was going to save the game.. METZEN iz the bestest and this is PROOF"
    Never see the "fanbois" (god what a stupid term and you should feel bad for using it) Bitching about the lack of sub numbers though, only doomsayers lacking some ammo to shoot.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

We know how this works, when the subs are high they will report numbers, when they aren't they wont. They will always go with whatever is beneficial for marketing at the time. We saw exactly what happened with WoD when it was detrimental to advertise sub numbers.

I don't care either way, doesn't affect me. Other people playing is not going to change whether or not I play.
    Cool as a cucumber.

It would be cool if the number of people logged in to the server was displayed, like it is with EVE Online.

No, they shouldn't, and any real investor in Blizzard and not just a crazed disappointed "fan" wouldn't want that either....

If I was a shareholder I would want to see the figure.