Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    I'm glad too that we agree on the part that it's fanfiction.
    I thought you said you know what fanfiction means. If it was a book ordered by Blizzard with a clear story lined out and all King did was add atmosphere and dialog, than it is not fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Illidan's the pragmatic brother, Malfurion's the idealist.
    Pretty much this.

For Illidan the end result justify the means (kinda like American culture).
    For Malfurion the end result does not justify the means (kinda like European culture).

The goal is the same, but the path taken is cause for conflict.

Illidan is a narcissist. Thankfully, he's on our side ... but that is only because it suits him to be opposed to the Legion.

I'm glad too that we agree on the part that it's fanfiction.
    If the new sw movies are canon because they were approved by Lucas, then legion is also canon because it was approved by Metzen.

I haven't seen Force Awakens yet, but from what I heard, they made Revan's story non-canon with it.

Canon is not the opposite of fanfiction. You can write fanfiction and get approved by the original writer and your story is canon now. For your answer, I'd say that the newest movie is canon, but it's fanfiction. It's canon, because Lucas approved it. Maybe he didn't approve it, I don't know, but it's definitely fanfiction.
    That is absolutely not what fan fiction is. I suggest you find a different word to describe what you are saying. I understand what you mean. But Fanfiction is not the correct term either at it's base or in translation.

That being said Lucas doesn't get a say anymore, period. He sold that IP. To note he wasn't a big fan of the force awakens. He didn't like it. But it doesn't matter because it isn't his anymore. He sold the rights. The IP belongs to Disney, they get to decide what is canon now.

10+ Year Old Account

No story is canon, unless it's written by the original writer.
    Are you completely obtuse? Any written piece by anything under the umbrella of Blizzard IS CANNON. If Blizzard authorized the author to write the Illidan book, and they obviously had to sign off on it to make sure it fit Warcraft Lore, then it is cannon. Anything any Blizzard employee / writer writes that either makes it in game, or becomes an official Blizzard endorsed product is cannon.

How do you not understand this?

Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    1. Illidan saw the armies of the legion when he adquired the eyes , he didn´t yield to the legion then.
    2. Illidan's thoughts were most influenced by Xavius which sent him visions of tyrande and his brother.
    Illidan was arrogant and wanted to do all by himself , he didn't care for lower caste elfs as the kaldorei society was that way , but he did care about his brother and Tyrande , and respected those with status and power , like Ravencrest and Rhonin. He was no saint but all that he did was to show off to his loved one and to protect her, power was just the mean to acomplish that.

- - - Updated - - -

Canon is whatever Blizzard decides , and both in-game and the illidan novel depict the same history so i would say that it is canon , also you know how he is inside from 10000 years , he had time in prison to change.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as i know these are the crimes :
    -Killing an unknown number of moonguards by collateral damage in a battle against the legion (Since the Legion beta now he sacrifices them to close a portal)
    -Stealing the demon soul from Malfurion to try to stop the legion by tampering with the portal.
    -Killing 2 highelves in hyjal who attacked him first as a group of 5, because he recreated the well , and latter he got judged by the victim and his brother , which is fair enough .

And the sundering was Malfurion's doing so no count on that.
    Well i think he deserves banishment at worst , not 10000 years of imprisonment , which he got because Malfurion wanted to use him in the second invasion of the legion (He overheard Rhonin and Krasus).

So i objectively think that he is not a bad guy , just misunderstood due to his arrogance.

- - - Updated - - -

He wasn't kicked from the moon guard , and he went to sargeras to learn how the legion worked internally and undestand them , he wasn't expecting to get any power , the gift caught him by surprise .
    Man you should reread the latter half of demon soul and the whole sundering instead of misleading other people.
    Right. The way I see it, Illidan is the punisher and Sargeras is more like Ozymandias. Something like that maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Current Illidan is closer to WC3 Illidan than TBC Illidan .....so yes this is a redemption of the BS that TBC illidan was

Yeah Illidan is like the punisher and now he has an army of punishers ,but i can't relate Sargeras to the forgotten king of the poem
    Oh sorry I meant the "bad guy" from Watchman. I should have clarified.

Deleted
    He wasn't kicked from the moon guard.
    He was forced to give his Moon Guard leadership by Rhonin and Ravencrest.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-08-15 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lopus View Post
    Current Illidan is closer to WC3 Illidan than TBC Illidan .....so yes this is a redemption of the BS that TBC illidan was
    Exactly. TBC Illidan was a lore fuck up of epic proportions with even Blizzard claiming that they really screwed up there.

This is then getting Illidan back to being Illidan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    He was kicked by the Moon Guard by Rhonin and Ravencrest.
    in the book he was replaced by Rhonin to lead the Moon Guard but he was not kicked out. in original WotA he left the Moon Guard completely.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2016-08-15 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Illidan was always the good guy. If anything TBC Illidan was a massive lorelol fuckup of epic proportions.

This is Blizzard trying to fix their fuckup.
    Saying Illidan was always a good guy is a bit of a stretch. I still have Warcraft III on my PC to this day and the only thing that has remained constant until legion is his desire for power above all else. They just decided to twist his motives a bit to bring him back from their BC fuck up of making him "truly evil".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    in the book he was replaced by Rhonin to lead the Moon Guard but he was no kicked out. in original WotA he left the Moon Guard completely.
    Yeah, changed my post to better explain what happened.

A quote from The Demon Soul (regarding leaving the Night Elves and joining up the Legion):

"Now Illidan had to decide just where he belonged…"
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-08-15 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rasako View Post
    Saying Illidan was always a good guy is a bit of a stretch. I still have Warcraft III on my PC to this day and the only thing that has remained constant until legion is his desire for power above all else. They just decided to twist his motives a bit to bring him back from their BC fuck up of making him "truly evil".
    Eh, they didn't succeed in making him truly evil even then. They only succeeded in confusing me as to why were fighting him. Not saying we didn't have reason but some explanation should have happened.

Deleted
    Sigh let me ask you something , if he wanted power above everything else , then why didn't he join the legion like Archimonde ,Kil'Jaeden and Gul'dan and instead waste effort going against them ?
    The same reason Gul'dan turned against Kil'jaeden inside the Tomb?

Powermongers don't like to follow anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    I thought you said you know what fanfiction means. If it was a book ordered by Blizzard with a clear story lined out and all King did was add atmosphere and dialog, than it is not fanfiction.
    When characters talk, dialogues come out. Different characters speak different sentences. As I said, if the original writer gives directions to a writer, then it's canon, because the basic structure of the storyline has been made by the original writer, but if a character is written differently, then dialogues change. Other character interactions change. Almost everything changes. It won't be exactly like how the original writer would write it. So, it's canon, but it's fanfiction then.

- - - Updated - - -

Canon is whatever Blizzard decides , and both in-game and the illidan novel depict the same history so i would say that it is canon , also you know how he is inside from 10000 years , he had time in prison to change.
    I've changed my mind, it's canon, but he is a work of fanfiction. The story is canon, the character is fanfiction.

His change which I mentioned didn't occur when he was spending his prison time. That happened before.

Deleted
    I've changed my mind, it's canon, but he is a work of fanfiction. The story is canon, the character is fanfiction.

His change which I mentioned didn't occur when he was spending his prison time. That happened before.
    His change happened in BC. So his BC character is fanfiction. The novel one is canon.

Deleted
    It's going to be really hard sell to make Illidan the power-junkie prat from Warcraft 3, Illidan the mass murdering slavedriver from TBC and Illidan the cool superhero dude from Legion into a somewhat coherent character. Even more so for people who don't read the WoW books.

We had really good reasons to put that bastard down in WoW: he was enslaving people (the broken who weren't affiliated with Akama and never swore allegiance to him, orcs to make demon blood-powered shock troops, and dragons to ride), and stealing whatever water remained on Outland like a Captain Planet villain. "For the greater good" explanation doesn't quite cut it, if a naaru of all things wants your head you know you've messed up big time. And that's even some logical progression too, Illidan was always power-hungry, that was his entire thing besides "Tyrande/Brother!", so it's not hard to imagine he'd become a ruthless warlord after his loss to Arthas. Power corrupts. But now it's supposedly "all just a misunderstanding"?

Sure, retcons happen. But for people who remember what happened because they were there retcons only go so far. I'll be keeping an eye on him.
    Last edited by mmocd2effbd770; 2016-08-16 at 11:33 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwarden View Post
    It's going to be really hard sell to make Illidan the power-junkie prat from Warcraft 3, Illidan the mass murdering slavedriver from TBC and Illidan the cool superhero dude from Legion into a somewhat coherent character. Even more so for people who don't read the WoW books.

We had really good reasons to put that bastard down in WoW: he was enslaving people (the broken who weren't affiliated with Akama and never swore allegiance to him, orcs to make demon blood-powered shock troops, and dragons to ride), and stealing whatever water remained on Outland like a Captain Planet villain. "For the greater good" explanation doesn't quite cut it, if a naaru of all things wants your head you know you've messed up big time. And that's even some logical progression too, Illidan was always power-hungry, that was his entire thing besides "Tyrande/Brother!", so it's not hard to imagine he'd become a ruthless warlord after his loss to Arthas. Power corrupts. But now it's supposedly "all just a misunderstanding"?

Sure, retcons happen. But for people who remember what happened because they were there retcons only go so far. I'll be keeping an eye on him.
    the naaru were fine with him, they only agreed to retalite when "his" blood elves attacked shatrath... and he was taking the water from zangarmarsh, and the magic from netherstorm to make super wells, to power his army against the burning legion

the whole point of ilidan was he was a demon hunter, even in bc where they fucked up his lore you could still tell he was good

he closed the demonic portals to outland, cutting off the legions reinforcments and he trained a army of DEMON HUNTERS like what the fuck!?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content