Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Tomb Of Sargeras Looked Different in WC3

Is the WoW Legion's tomb of Sargeras just outside his tomb ? There is only a building with 1 portal connecting to somewhere we don't know. In WC3 you can see giant walls etc, it looked more mysterious, which I loved.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't believe this but Warcraft 3 was made 15 years ago. Lots of things look different between Warcraft 3 and WoW. Have you seen 3's Dalaran? Or, oh, you won't believe how different black temple looks.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Warcraft 3 is 14 years old, also. The models are really shitty by modern standards. And if they create new models anyway, why not give it a more interesting look anyway?

Deleted
    So what if its old. blizzard could easily put some walls up, make it a labyrinth out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Kayn View Post
    So what if its old. blizzard could easily put some walls up, make it a labyrinth out of it
    It is a labyrinth, as described in the audio drama, but the maze is inside now.

Deleted
    If I remember correctly, most of the zones look different than their current adaption in game, even before the Cataclysm. Sometimes even in a different location!

Hell, I remember Stonetalon for example being much closer to Hyjal.

Let's not stop at the Tomb of Sargeras looking different.

Stormwind didn't even exist in the first game. Wasn't it Stonewind?

Also, entire zones were in the wrong area, Hellfire Peninsula had giant mushrooms, Orgrimmar looked very different, Dalaran looked very different, Stratholme looked very different...

Basically the only things that really look similar are the characters, the World Tree and the entrance to Undercity from the cutscene where Arthas is coming back. Even Icecrown looked different.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

Is the WoW Legion's tomb of Sargeras just outside his tomb ? There is only a building with 1 portal connecting to somewhere we don't know. In WC3 you can see giant walls etc, it looked more mysterious, which I loved.
    They've explained why it looks differently about 10 times since the revelation of Legion.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Build a wall, make Tomb of Sargeras great again!

But seriously. WC3 maps rarely look like their WoW counterparts. Most of the time they don't even look like the stuff you can see during the ingame videos of WC3.

And here's a comparison of Warlords of Draenor Gul'dan to Warcraft 3 Gul'dan. See how much better things look with some updates and polish?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaji View Post

And here's a comparison of Warlords of Draenor Gul'dan to Warcraft 3 Gul'dan. See how much better things look with some updates and polish?
    Why do I have to see these posts whenever I am drinking something and end up spitting it all over the place

Damn you Blizzard for deviating with WoW lordaeron!

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Stormwind didn't even exist in the first game. Wasn't it Stonewind?

Also, entire zones were in the wrong area, Hellfire Peninsula had giant mushrooms, Orgrimmar looked very different, Dalaran looked very different, Stratholme looked very different...

Basically the only things that really look similar are the characters, the World Tree and the entrance to Undercity from the cutscene where Arthas is coming back. Even Icecrown looked different.
    I think Stonewind was only ever mention in the map in the WC1 manual. I believe every in game reference in WC1 and beyond is Stormwind.

Deleted

edit - oh wait wrong game

Deleted
    What works in a RTS and in a MMO is very different. WC3 also had more art limitations than wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    if you'd listen to the audio drama you'd that the place is a fucking massive labyrinth.

Formerly known as Arafal

Are we going to complain Silvermoon City looked different in WC3 too? I mean... it was a RTS game with major limitations on models that would work in a RTS environment at the time. The maps/environs are made for strategy and mission layout, rarely to establish a "lore" look for them. Below is the map of Silvermoon with the Sunwell in the bottom center. It was literally a fountain surrounded by a typical base... again RTS setup, not a real city. I think they coulda done better, but it's what we got. I think the WC3 Tomb would have looked hideous in WoW. The Tomb we have looks amazing...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire35 View Post

Damn you Blizzard for deviating with WoW lordaeron!
    That's Alterac - sorry :P

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted

the sad thing is that at least someone thinks wc3 gul'dan looks better.

I was also surprised to see it looked almost nothing like its WC3 version, but then again we rarely get these locations that share almost the exact same similarities. The Black Temple is a good example, the one from WC3 looks almost nothing like the one in WoW. In WC3 it uses mostly orc architecture, but then in WoW they changed it to draenei architecture. Maybe the location was meant to be in Hellfire Citadel instead, which would look closer to WC3's model but way out of place of where the temple is supposed to be.

Another location is Icecrown Citadel, where other than the spire you don't see anything resembling of what you've seen at the ending cinematic of TFT. I believe the original canyon is the one where Angrathar the Wrath Gate is located, with ICC being build at the other side.

Its not really fair to compare a NPC to a unit from a RTS game. You were never meant to look to close to these models, wihle in a MMORPG your literally standing in front of their nose. Also the model Gul'dan used in WC3 is used by most Stormreaver warlocks.