Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question EA launching BF1 Open Beta.. The day Legion launches?

So it turns out that this is happening.

EA has decided to launch BF1's open beta period on Legion's launch date, August 31st. It's cool and all but this seems to be a direct shot across the bow at World of Warcraft. Albeit WoW has done this to other titles for a long time now. I highly doubt the date was a coincidence, but it remains to be seen if people will want to play the queue simulator and disconnect game, or go play Battlefield's open beta.

How the fuck is this a shot at WoW?

What?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    hahaha nice shot at WoW there EA ..... not

Deleted
    Doesn't matter, who cares about BF1? WoW will always be the number one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, okay?
    Sure there might be some players who play both series, but I'd guarantee that if they own Legion they'll be playing that unless the servers go down (will be likely), so doesn't it make EA the good guys for giving people something to do while we wait for the server situations to be fixed?
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

People actively look for games sharing a release date in a year with a finite number of days.
    Why must that always mean intended competition.
    They aren't even remotely close to being the same genre.

One costs money, the other does not.
    An Open Beta therefore will not stop people spending their money elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    WoW has one major advantage over BF1 and thats having nothing to do with EA

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    EA has decided to launch BF1's open beta period on Legion's launch date, August 31st.
    Let's start with the fact that... Legion launches on the 30th of August, not 31st.

FPS vs MMO... just because they're 2 popular games doesn't mean they're in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Ok, so what in the hell is BF1?
    Battlefield following the same screwed up numbering system used by the XBox.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've heard of making a stretch, but this is just nonsensical...

Quote Originally Posted by JCD000 View Post
    FPS vs MMO... just because they're 2 popular games doesn't mean they're in competition.
    They are from the two top competing publishers so it's not a completely unreasonable suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that sucks for someone like me that enjoy both...

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Well that sucks for someone like me that enjoy both...
    Honestly, there's probably some truth in what the OP said, first couple of days of an expansion's release are always a lagfest and it hurts the experience. I'll probably end up enjoying a day or two of the beta while I wait for the crowds to die down and then I'll leap head first into the expansion.

Seems more like a coincidence than a "direct shot" at WoW. Legion and Battlefield are completely different genres of games, and while there are definitely people who enjoy both, if EA was really trying to shove it to their competition they'd do it to Call of Duty or something.

Seeing as how legion will probably be unplayable on release day, I might play me some BF1 open beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sae View Post
    Seems more like a coincidence than a "direct shot" at WoW. Legion and Battlefield are completely different genres of games, and while there are definitely people who enjoy both, if EA was really trying to shove it to their competition they'd do it to Call of Duty or something.
    I don't think EA is worried about CoD at this point, BF1 created a lot more hype than Infinite Warfare. Also, Infinite Warfare seems to have split the community, some people hating the 'futuristic space' thing they've got going on while some love the new direction.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Seeing as how legion will probably be unplayable on release day, I might play me some BF1 open beta.
    And we might find it unplayable.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    ehhh.

After how absolutely awful BF4 was for over a year, and after the flop that was hardline, I'll wait awhile on BF1.