10+ Year Old Account
    Donald Trump said recently in his big foreign policy speech, "The common thread linking the major Islamic terrorist attacks that have recently occurred on our soil – 9/11, the Ft. Hood shooting, the Boston Bombing, the San Bernardino attack, the Orlando attack – is that they have involved immigrants or the children of immigrants."

Like Donald Trump, who also said in the same speech, "In addition to screening out all members or sympathizers of terrorist groups, we must also screen out any who have hostile attitudes towards our country or its principles – or who believe that Sharia law should supplant American law.

Those who do not believe in our Constitution, or who support bigotry and hatred, will not be admitted for immigration into the country."

Bold words, coming from a man who incites bigotry at every turn, and whose supporters boo the Constitution and cheer at its removal from their sight.

(Of course, it's pretty obvious what he's really talking about: an excuse to strip US citizens of their status, a nominally "Christian" theocracy, and anyone who doesn't agree with him or his cult. Donald Trump: the L. Ron Hubbard of US politics.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    a nominally "Christian" theocracy
    The irony of Donald Trump leading a Christian theocracy should be staggering. Or are adultery, theft, and bearing false witness no longer part of the Ten Commandments?

I'm fairly sure either he, or his children, or his servants, have worked on the Sabbath, too. So have I, but I'm not the one trying to lead a theological party.

At least he's never raised any altars of false gods of --

I meant, um, never raised a golden calf, which --

God dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The irony of Donald Trump leading a Christian theocracy should be staggering. Or are adultery, theft, and bearing false witness no longer part of the Ten Commandments?

I'm fairly sure either he, or his children, or his servants, have worked on the Sabbath, too. So have I, but I'm not the one trying to lead a theological party.

God dammit.
    Well if it's any consolation, Trump has never boiled a goat in its mother's milk....that we know of.

Watched the latest Last Week Tonight... That election you guys are having, it's a done deal, isn't it? I mean, who seriously thinks Drumpf can win that one? Clinton would have to kill Obama to lose, right?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Bollocks; 2016-08-16 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Watched the latest Last Week Tonight... That election you guys are having, it's a done deal, isn't it? I mean, who seriously thinks Drumpf can win that one? Clinton would have to kill Obama to lose, right?
    It was basically over before it began honestly. Using demographics and previous results it was always a 70%+ chance for Clinton to win. The only reason why Trump had an outside chance to win a general was he had an uncanny immunity to things that would generally kill a politicians career (like look back at all the 3rd rails he touched in the primaries). He is going to end up as this generation's Goldwater, someone who unchecked could have brought a massive "X" factor to the election but failed to get anything out of it. Good thing people freaked out over Trump's election bump (which was meh to begin with)/DNC leak because I got 3/1 odds on Clinton winning the election. At this point it appears to be easy money won.
    Last edited by akris15; 2016-08-16 at 06:45 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Donald Trump said recently in his big foreign policy speech, "The common thread linking the major Islamic terrorist attacks that have recently occurred on our soil – 9/11, the Ft. Hood shooting, the Boston Bombing, the San Bernardino attack, the Orlando attack – is that they have involved immigrants or the children of immigrants."

Like Donald Trump, who also said in the same speech, "In addition to screening out all members or sympathizers of terrorist groups, we must also screen out any who have hostile attitudes towards our country or its principles – or who believe that Sharia law should supplant American law.

Those who do not believe in our Constitution, or who support bigotry and hatred, will not be admitted for immigration into the country."

Bold words, coming from a man who incites bigotry at every turn, and whose supporters boo the Constitution and cheer at its removal from their sight.

(Of course, it's pretty obvious what he's really talking about: an excuse to strip US citizens of their status, a nominally "Christian" theocracy, and anyone who doesn't agree with him or his cult. Donald Trump: the L. Ron Hubbard of US politics.)
    And who is also literally married to an immigrant.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And who is also literally married to an immigrant.
    That could have been in the US illegally at the time when she entered here.

I can't remember a presidential candidate being ripped into like Biden did to Trump in this speech. Wow. He's the Vice President, too.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I can't remember a presidential candidate being ripped into like Biden did to Trump in this speech. Wow. He's the Vice President, too.
    I honestly believe if he would have ran he would be the democratic nominee right now and basically next president.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    I honestly believe if he would have ran he would be the democratic nominee right now and basically next president.
    Biden always made a positive impression to me. Seems a very good and respected politician. I wouldn't mind him as a president, speaking as someone from a partner country. Clinton seems to be controversial domestically only, so she's not bad for us, either. But Trump? He's actively shooting at us in his rhetorics. The US would be a worse ally if Trump was voted. Luckily, it seems a very remote chance by now.

Bit sad for the Republicans, though. They don't deserve this, why have they done this to themselves? Part of me wants to say they succumbed to the allure of media attention and just went with basically what got the best ratings on Fox. Well, Fox being Fox, that usually is the biggest troll in the room. I said it before and I'll stick to it now, Trump is trolling everyone. He never meant to be serious about things, he always intended to fail the race in the most spectacular way. That's the only reasonable explanation I have for the kinds of statements he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    That could have been in the US illegally at the time when she entered here.
    Are you for or against illegal immigrants?

If illegal immigration is ok, then having one as a wife is perfectly fine.
    If it isn't, then Trump is the only one who ever said it should be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Obviously the point is that it makes him a hypocrite. No one is for illegal immigration but less dense people understand that for some people, it's their only real option because there are issues with our immigration policies forcing many people to be stuck in a limbo phase while they become legal citizens. There's a difference between waiting for your paperwork to go through and forging that paperwork which is what I believe Trump's wife is accused of. Not really sure the merit of the accusation but it's irrelevant to me anyway.
    In election where every side is a hypocrite and flip-flopped on issues over years it is weak argument.

As for "immigration policies keeping people in limbo" - noone seems to be talking about relaxing those policies and requirements to bring more people in either. At most i see legalising those already there.

Trump isn't just against illegal immigration, he's against all immigrants that are from certain region of the world. This is so much fuel for terrorist organizations to recruit.
    You mean Mexico? That's the target of "build the wall", after all.
    From his speeches he doesn't seem to be "against all immigrants" - he is for stronger vetting of them to allay fears that terrorists might be sneaking in, and to force them into legal channels. And those channels are small enough that immigration would slow to a trickle just by strongly enforcing laws already in place.

What is the "right immigration number" btw? How many people can America realistically integrate? Was it ever discussed?

If you're in an area like this and you have to feed your family and no other country is letting you in, what do you do?
    Try to make do in your own country or die trying. As do most people, really.

Obviously a very small amount of people choose this path but a plan like Trump's will definitely motivate more people towards terrorism.
    Do you mean that less strict views on illegal immigration are basically there for bribing other countries into creating less terrorists there and instead importing them into US for better living? ...wouldn't those same people find reason to radicalise anyway?

Or wouldn't it more efficient to engage those countries to create better living conditions in them? (as happened with Mexico, with more immigrants leaving US to get back there as jobs in Mexico are already better for them then what is available to illegal migrants in US)

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    IIRC they were trying to crash the plane into the White House, but the passengers pretty much sacrificed themselves to fuck up the terrorist's plan.
    Yes, that's right. That one plane plowed into a quite insignificant field. However, the terrorists did succeed in their goals. Absolutely. There probably wasn't a more effective and successful terrorist plot in history. They have changed the US dramatically. Foreign policy, domestic policy. Everything was affected. The US invaded two countries as a result, unsettled a whole region, creating another terrorist organisation that's arguably even worse than AQ, which in turn unsettles Europe as we speak. The relation to Turkey is also deteriorating as a result, meaning you have internal strife within NATO. Domestically, homeland security was and is used as a blanket excuse to infringe on civil liberties all the time. US agencies spied on US citizens on an unprecedendet scale. The US was shaken, still is working hard to recover from the recoil. You have a presidential candidate that openly wants to ban Muslims from entering the US based on their religion.

So no, they did not fail. They succeeded. Spectacularily so. All of those things and all the things I didn't mention, that's all they wanted. It was never about bodycount. Terrorism isn't about dead people, it's about living people. It's about the fear they can instill into those that are still alive. And in that, they have done more damage than they should have with what, a dozen or so plane tickets and a couple thousand dollars for pilot lessons and travelling expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I think a lot of voters and politicians will look back on this election feeling ashamed they supported Trump. The further away we get from this election, the more negative public opinion will be about him and those supporting him.
    Agree. Just when we thought GOP can't find anyone as stupid as Mitt Romney, they unleashed Trump on us. I can't wait for the next elections... I'm sure they'll out do themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

God dammit.
    Hey, you can't question his Christianity! I mean who does that!? It is immoral to question another persons Christianity!!! (Unless of course they are the democratic president, then it is okay because of 'reasons'. Also you can question his birth, patriotism, faith, and social order beliefs)

Has anyone actually asked Trump which church he attends? Because I know 5 year olds who know more about bible verses than Donald Trump. I know wrestling fans who know more verses and they only know one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    More than likely, the type to blow themselves up is going to find the rational to radicalize themselves regardless but these aren't a significant number of the actual terrorist. They're basically a small militia and to most of them it's probably just the only method of survival, or at least the easier path.
    "Local militia" types usually don't get called "terrorists"; most often they go as "insurgents".

Why must people make it in their own country if they're born into a shit country? Not everyone is lucky enough to be born in a first world society.
    Because that's how you make world as a whole better, rather then just a few lives.

If they have the desire to live a better life, why not help provide that?
    Because by draining most active (and sometimes most progressive) part of population into "First World", you're robbing those countries a chance of becoming less shitty in the future. Thus perpetuating their shittiness.

A few million immigrants wouldn't be any significant cost compared to how much money the government spends on a daily basis to operate. This also opens up a ton of jobs for our own citizens to deal with the incoming immigrants.
    Sorry, but if it is not going to be "one job for locals for every migrant" (and it wouldn't), it'll be net drain on society.

And actual numbers currently are several hundreds of thousands per year, not millions. "Few millions" in short timeframe (if you would go with actual "open doors" policy) can easily crash entire system.

He's already called for a ban on immigration for people from certain countries, that is, he banning LEGAL immigration even.
    Which is lawful for President to do. And it gets him votes.

And totals from those countries are actually laughably small in overall immigration picture.

It isn't over until it is over, America has something called the 'October surprise' where some kind of skeleton comes out of a closet and it is too close to election to spin/fix/counter that turns off voters. Both candidates have their skeletons, and yes I said both because any independent candidate is merely a fart in the mouth of any voter that opens their mouth and mouth breathes about how their loser is the best choice and isn't a wasted vote to the complete opposite candidate than the one they are closer aligned to.

At this rate either one could end up in prison giving the other the White House. Republicans are trying to keep Clinton under oath in hopes she we get caught lieing and trump has several court cases out there of defrauding people or not paying for services rendered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    lol love that one

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Are you for or against illegal immigrants?

If illegal immigration is ok, then having one as a wife is perfectly fine.
    If it isn't, then Trump is the only one who ever said it should be limited.
    Having an illegal immigrant as a wife just goes to show his hypocrisy, regardless of whatever stance you are holding.
    INB4: She did it too mommy!!!