Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    He *IS* a fanfiction character.

Blizzard's fanfiction character.
    You wont get anywhere here. People here are adamant that because they dont think he was written the way he was supposed to he is a "fanfictional" character. Which makes no sense because thats not what the word means in the first place.

I'm pretty sure you will be upsetting a lot of people if you say that fanfiction = bad writing.

Problem here is that people like bambs and felpacno(or whoever) dont really deal in things such as arguments or facts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeuZWw View Post
    spoiler snip
    More like Imperius.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwarden View Post
    A'dal listened to the very people who used to fight and kill Shattrath inhabitants, and took them in, no consequences. Blood elves certified guilty of murder, 100%, absolved also 100%.

Think he wouldn't listen to, and smite someone who's not only innocent (well... of that one specific crime), but also is doing some pretty sweet work against a common enemy? Come on now. It's a naaru we're talking about here. I'm fairly sure he could at least have negotiated a cease-fire.
    yes, he then tells a'dal "im a good guy, im actuallty trying to kill the legion" then kiljaden returns and DECIMATES him, as he now knows illidan was on our side, and no longer thinks hes working for the legion... he was hoping, he was so close to defeating the legion, he dident want to tell us, or anyone, because they could betray him, tell kiljaden and have everything he worked for destroyed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Okay sure, maybe A'dal would've listened. Then we are back at the he knows what he is and how everyone sees him. He figured why bother, let's just destroy Argus while those fukers are fukin around in Outland, playing with Keal'thas and whatnot.
    He is an arrogant bastard, he doesn't need the help of Azeroth or Shattrath, he can just kill Kil'jadean by himself thank you very much.

Also terrible wrinting and lore in BC.
    Yeah well, like I said now we're in the awkward position of having killed - for all we knew - a ruthless bastard who clearly lost it and deserved being put down in TBC due to that "terrible writing and lore", and now being told that "you were all dummies for doing that, he's actually like, so cool and smart and cool, you guys".

No we weren't. It was the right thing then. Retcons gonna retcon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I'm pretty sure you will be upsetting a lot of people if you say that fanfiction = bad writing.

Problem here is that people like bambs and felpacno(or whoever) dont really deal in things such as arguments or facts.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanfic

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...british/fanfic

Fanfic absulotely doesn't mean bad writing., you are right. It means the story was written by fans and is not canon.

Illidan in King's novel and Legion is neither.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yes, he then tells a'dal "im a good guy, im actuallty trying to kill the legion" then kiljaden returns and DECIMATES him, as he now knows illidan was on our side, and no longer thinks hes working for the legion... he was hoping, he was so close to defeating the legion, he dident want to tell us, or anyone, because they could betray him, tell kiljaden and have everything he worked for destroyed
    They were right at his doorstep, so all he had to do was lean outside and yell:

"Hey guys! GUYS! Guys. You, naaru, yeah, the shiny one. Gimme like... one hour cease-fire, and I'll bring you something AMAZING that you can do a lot of GOOD with. Okay? And I'll surrender my forces then. You guys take a break. An hour, okay? Use your mind-powers or something, you know I'm good for it, man. Come on".

Except that none of it existed back then. There was no keystone, no Mardum, no greater scheme besides "gain a lot of power, ALL of the power, drain Outland clean of power... and we'll see", like the good ol' Illidan always just stockpiling power for the sake of it. The noble intentions, justifications, greater schemes... were all written later. So Illidan back then had no good reasons, and no bargaining chip. Now we're told he totally had them, we just... didn't know better.

Awkwaaaard.

Yeah well, like I said now we're in the awkward position of having killed - for all we knew - a ruthless bastard who clearly lost it and deserved being put down in TBC due to that "terrible writing and lore", and now being told that "you were all dummies for doing that, he's actually like, so cool and smart and cool, you guys".

eh i dont really see the story telling us that. Its mainly the points of view of characters in the game. The DH's are ofcourse going to think like that and ignore the fact they intended to immediately kill the azerothian armies and burn shatarath down to the ground after returning (he'd already tried this before)

This is why we have Rayn and Altruis. But in the end they both intend to apply themselves and their peers as weapons to defeat the legion.

"Hey guys! GUYS! Guys. You, naaru, yeah, the shiny one. Gimme like... one hour cease-fire, and I'll bring you something AMAZING that you can do a lot of GOOD with. Okay? And I'll surrender my forces then. You guys take a break. An hour, okay? Use your mind-powers or something, you know I'm good for it, man. Come on".

Except that none of it existed back then. There was no keystone, no Mardum, no greater scheme besides "gain a lot of power, ALL of the power, drain Outland clean of power... and we'll see", like the good ol' Illidan always just stockpiling power for the sake of it. The noble intentions, justifications, greater schemes... were all written later. So Illidan back then had no good reasons, and no bargaining chip. Now we're told he totally had them, we just... didn't know better.

Awkwaaaard.
    We were not killing him because of his final intentions and goals to combat the legion, we killed him because he intended to do so ontop of our corpses and the corpses of whatever good was left in outlands. We even had the start of the quest where we dealt with the demonhunter trainee's tell us "dont be fooled, these guys are made to fight the legion but they will be employed against us".

His intentions were irrelevant, it was what he was actually doing and what was going to happen due to his actual actions that mattered.

His plans were already falling apart with kaelthas betraying him and going over to the legion. We'd have had Kiljaeden stomping about azeroth then coming to outland to make a sand castle of the black temple for the purpose of funfilled stomping.

Only after all these events have we realigned their goals to the task at hand without them sabotaging the goals because they believe they can solo the entire legion with the rest of us either dead or mutated into cannon fodder.

This shit is exactly what sargaras is doing in relation to the voidlords. Look where that has got everyone, the shadow priest artifact even implies that the legions efforts may even have been helping.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-08-16 at 01:05 PM.

His change happened in BC. So his BC character is fanfiction. The novel one is canon.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the novel tell the events which occur in Legion in Illidan's perspective? Illidan in Legion isn't in the Alternative Universe I think. He is the main one.
    Last edited by Felpacino; 2016-08-16 at 12:58 PM.

Awkwaaaard.
    yeah sure we would tottalty say "ok illidan sure thing bra, we were coming to kill you... but we can wait

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't the novel tell the events which occur in Legion in Illidan's perspective? Illidan in Legion isn't in the Alternative Universe I think. He is the main one.
    Soo Illidan is a fanfic character but you haven't even read the novel or seen anything from him in Legion? Ah so you're trolling.

No the Illidan novel is Illidan's and Maiev's PoV during BC.

Illidan was never a bad guy.. nor was Kael'thas.. I never understood why they had them as the bad guys in tbc. I was always against it.
    Heroes get remembered.... but legends never die!

Illidan was never evil? He just always rolled with the needs justifiying the means. Hes the kind of person that would kill a million innocent to save two millions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikanaro View Post
    Illidan was never a bad guy.. nor was Kael'thas.. I never understood why they had them as the bad guys in tbc. I was always against it.
    Well Keal did accept Kil'jaden's offer of joining the Legion for moar powah for their addiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Illidan was never evil? He just always rolled with the needs justifiying the means. Hes the kind of person that would kill a million innocent to save two millions.
    Or a million innocents to save the multiverse. Not quite the same, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by aikanaro View Post
    Kael'Thas was simply seduced with the offering of unlimited power by KJ.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yeah sure we would tottalty say "ok illidan sure thing bra, we were coming to kill you... but we can wait
    Cease-fires happen all the time, they're not something WoW invented.

If Mardum was supposed to be such a triumph, all he had to do was give a good enough bargaining chip to the Naaru in charge to make them wait until that business is finished. Then stroll out of here and say "I just won harder against the Legion than any of your kind ever has, and here's the proof. You're welcome". Boom.

Instead he leans out, looks at the whole world's worth of Light-empowered beings burning with righteous (and justified) anger and goes.

"Fools. Yeah, no, I can take'em."

That's the problem with retconning, as in this case - retconning a justification for Illidan's monstrous deeds in, that wasn't there before. Sometimes it just doesn't wedge quite cleanly in.

Deleted
    That's the problem with retconning, as in this case - retconning a justification for Illidan's monstrous deeds in, that wasn't there before. Sometimes it just doesn't wedge quite cleanly in.
    Making him a power hungry idiot doesn't wedge in. He is power hungry, but he's not and idiot. He was always fighting the demons whatever way he could. Him just chilling in Outland taking all the water never made sense.

Deleted
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanfic

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...british/fanfic

Fanfic absulotely doesn't mean bad writing., you are right. It means the story was written by fans and is not canon.

Illidan in King's novel and Legion is neither.
    Yes that was obvious from the start. I tried making a logical assumption as to why yo uguys would use the word fanfiction. The only logic that comes to mind would be that it would be worse writing. As in you would use it as a derogatorya term.

Surely noone is dumb enough to think otherwise?

Cease-fires happen all the time, they're not something WoW invented.

If Mardum was supposed to be such a triumph, all he had to do was give a good enough bargaining chip to the Naaru in charge to make them wait until that business is finished. Then stroll out of here and say "I just won harder against the Legion than any of your kind ever has, and here's the proof. You're welcome". Boom.

Instead he leans out, looks at the whole world's worth of Light-empowered beings burning with righteous (and justified) anger and goes.

"Fools. Yeah, no, I can take'em."

Thats the thing they had to give a justification, because there is no reason for Illidan from WC to do any of the things he did in TBC. He always sacrified things with a purpose. Most dont agree with his methods and thats in character, but he always had a reason to do what he does. You are given little insight of what he is doing even in all the shadowmoon valley quests. You know more about what Kael'Thas and Vashj are doing.

You wont get anywhere here. People here are adamant that because they dont think he was written the way he was supposed to he is a "fanfictional" character. Which makes no sense because thats not what the word means in the first place.

Deleted
    Yes that was obvious from the start. I tried making a logical assumption as to why yo uguys would use the word fanfiction. The only logic that comes to mind would be that it would be worse writing. As in you would use it as a derogatorya term.

Surely noone is dumb enough to think otherwise?
    What? Are we the ones calling Illidan fanfic? You sure you got that right?