Total Noob Building First PC

Hey there! I'm hoping to get some advice & help regarding the new PC I'm putting together. Many kudos to anyone willing that put up with me here!

My neighbor just gave a COSMOS 1000 case along with an ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard with some type of i7, 12gb of RAM & a corsair cooling system on it.

I know how to put these things together, but I don't have any idea of what I need to buy. I've got my eye on an EVGA 970 graphics card, but other than that, I need all the advice I can get!!

My budget range is between 400 & 600, but willing to go higher if necessary. Thank you to all of the patient people who dealt with this post!

Have a good one,
    -Stacko

Did it come with a power supply and storage?

As for GPU a 1060 has overtaken the 970, its faster for around the same money or cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be a bit hesitant to go looking into 'finishing' up this system. I think you'd be better off selling the parts and using the 400-600 plus the money from the sales. This is eight year old hardware.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd be a bit hesitant to go looking into 'finishing' up this system. I think you'd be better off selling the parts and using the 400-600 plus the money from the sales. This is eight year old hardware.
    Its probably an i7-920 given the other specs, they are still acceptable gaming CPU's. If he could get by with just a GPU and maybe an SSD that would be a cheap way to get into a rig.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I understand that but aslong as the OP isn't doing any crazy gaming adding a gpu and buying the rest of the hardware later could be a good option for him. But yeah selling and getting a new system would probably be best being that he doesn't know what kinda wear has been put on that hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Did it come with a power supply and storage?

As for GPU a 1060 has overtaken the 970, its faster for around the same money or cheaper.
    It did not come with either of those. I just checked Newegg & I couldn't find any cheap 1060??
    Last edited by Stacko; 2016-08-16 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the 2nd sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stackodude1 View Post
    It did not come with either of those. I just checked Newegg & I couldn't find any cheap 1060??
    Stock is complete shit right now considering the demand for the new cards, you should honestly wait around before buying a new gen gpu to save like ~50-80 bucks...

http://imgur.com/WUlLBEA

Here's an image of the motherboard in the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    I understand that but aslong as the OP isn't doing any crazy gaming adding a gpu and buying the rest of the hardware later could be a good option for him. But yeah selling and getting a new system would probably be best being that he doesn't know what kinda wear has been put on that hardware.
    I'm only planning on playing Blizzard games. Will this not suffice at all? I'm trying to save as much money as I can, so if I can't use what my neighbor gave me, I'm probably going to have to scrap this project altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If it is just for WoW, pick up a GTX 950. It is more than enough for WoW with that CPU.
    What about Overwatch? I'll mainly be playing WoW, Diablo, & Overwatch.

What about Overwatch? I'll mainly be playing WoW, Diablo, & Overwatch.
    Should be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-...rks/page2.html

1080p Benchmarks in Overwatch have the 950 at 80-84 FPS.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-...rks/page3.html

At 1440p it's even doing pretty good at 50-54.

I'd say you'll be more than ok with the 950. In addition, the 950 OCs pretty well and can get pretty close to stock 960 performance. Just get one with a decent aftermarket cooler. Since the aftermarket coolers were designed with the 970/980 in mind, they cool much more than is really needed on the 950.

Should be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-...rks/page2.html

1080p Benchmarks in Overwatch have the 950 at 80-84 FPS.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-...rks/page3.html

At 1440p it's even doing pretty good at 50-54.

I'd say you'll be more than ok with the 950. In addition, the 950 OCs pretty well and can get pretty close to stock 960 performance. Just get one with a decent aftermarket cooler. Since the aftermarket coolers were designed with the 970/980 in mind, they cool much more than is really needed on the 950.
    Oh wow, thank you! Especially for including the benchmarks. Do you think it would be worth it to just step up to the 960 for a couple extra dollars?

Also, any idea about PSUs?

Oh wow, thank you! Especially for including the benchmarks. Do you think it would be worth it to just step up to the 960 for a couple extra dollars?

Also, any idea about PSUs?
    If you really wanted to, sure, but if you are gonna do that, may as well stretch it to the 1060. Like I said, with an OC you can get 960 like performance out of the 950, so not sure why you'd want to spend more money for similar performance.

If you really wanted to, sure, but if you are gonna do that, may as well stretch it to the 1060. Like I said, with an OC you can get 960 like performance out of the 950, so not sure why you'd want to spend more money for similar performance.
    Do you have any links to some good ones??