"Freebie" raid bosses

"Freebie" raid bosses are those first few bosses in a raid that are pushovers and are usually downed in the first raid night/week.

My question is why does Blizzard still offer so many freebie raid bosses? In the days of only 2 raid difficulties, freebie bosses made a bit more sense as there were absolutely no other raiding options if you could not down the first boss in Normal (back then).

Now we have 4 whole raid difficulties that cover such an enormous range of raiders. We no longer need the first few heroic bosses in a raid to be Normal difficulty. I feel that this is a complete waste of development resources as the raiding content is consumed much faster. While it theoretically may be a 10 boss raid, there are only really 7 bosses that you will be progressing on, making 30% of the content obsolete in week 1. 30% of the entire raid tier work is consumed in week 1. This consumption of content makes the wait between tiers much longer and is not sustainable from a development point of view.

What I propose is that the raid difficulties are much more linear. H Iron Reaver for example would be much closer to H Mannaroth in difficulty. This would make progression more interesting and last longer. If people want freebie bosses they can lower the difficulty and farm gear there since we have so many of them.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The first bosses are always easier than the later ones because you'll be obtaining gear and get stronger. Once strong enough, you can kill the later bosses but you have to get that gear somehow.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

I don't know about all this, but I will say that I like it when the end tier raid includes an early fight that uses non-traditional mechanics, like the airship from ICC or the Spoils of Pandaria from Siege. Easier fights, sure, but very interesting and pretty creative.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    The first bosses are always easier than the later ones because you'll be obtaining gear and get stronger. Once strong enough, you can kill the later bosses but you have to get that gear somehow.
    But H Assault is, for all intents and purposes, a normal boss. If people can't kill the first couple of heroic bosses after the raid is more linear, then they simply need to go back to normal and farm more gear. So instead of farming the freebie heroic bosses that are normal difficulty, they will actually go to normal and farm there (which makes sense). Afterall it's heroic difficulty, not "some normal, some heroic, some mythic" difficulty.

Deleted
    World of Warcraft is a progression game and making a couple of “easy” bosses in the beginning is a good way to make the larger community feel good about actually completing something, that said lets take for an example say that the first boss were Xhul (obvious pug stomper) how many (excuse my words) lesser guilds would not give up on the first hours and to have a couple of people not want to raid again?

Sounds familiar? Sounds like the first boss in mogu'shan vaults that broke both pugs and lesser guilds the first weeks of its release.

And these easier bosses obviously don’t reward the same loot as the endgame bosses at least so were the case of HFC were they jumped 5 ilvls the further you got to top it off with archimonde loot 

Free bosses was GREAT, and we should have more of it.

TBC raid model was the best there ever was in this game. Even shit guilds gets to see inside of raids, but wont kill end bosses...good system.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Free bosses was GREAT, and we should have more of it.

TBC raid model was the best there ever was in this game. Even shit guilds gets to see inside of raids, but wont kill end bosses...good system.
    Bullshit, attunements alone didn't let shit guilds in. You had to kill vashj and kt and first boss in hijal to enter bt. Even ssc had attunement, like SH speed run, or you had to kill the pitlord.
    Even when there was no attunement, like swp, you wouldn't even pass through the second trash pack due to not having enough dps to kill the scouts in time.
    So no, only pretty good guilds could step in, before nerfs ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by atl4ntis View Post
    Bullshit, attunements alone didn't let shit guilds in. You had to kill vashj and kt and first boss in hijal to enter bt. Even ssc had attunement, like SH speed run, or you had to kill the pitlord.
    Even when there was no attunement, like swp, you wouldn't even pass through the second trash pack due to not having enough dps to kill the scouts in time.
    So no, only pretty good guilds could step in, before nerfs ofc.
    Nerf's was obviously tough about when I wrote this. I was in such guild for little while that did lootreaver. It worked, it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    It was a great system, but it's very different. With LFR/Normal/Heroic, we shouldn't need bosses that are as easy as Kormrok/Reaver/HF Assault, as lower difficulties serve that purpose.
    Which is why we should abolish the whole system we have now. TBC raid model was the best. Everyone got to see the raids if they want to raid. Even I did...and I sure didn't play good back then....only managed to kill kael and vashj in the huge health nerf at the end.

But yea...this is just a elitist vanilla player going trough another thread...dont mind me, Im not the target demographic anymore...I get that...

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    This may single-handedly be the most out-of-touch and patently incorrect post I've ever seen on this forum. I just... wow. I don't even.

Not going to say HFA and Reaver were difficult, but at the start of the tier without 4pc and ring it was much different than it is now. I'm a fan of a couple freebie bosses personally, so 20 man groups can at least justify the logistical organization of it and all. And having something to get themselves ID locked to of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    It was a great system, but it's very different. With LFR/Normal/Heroic, we shouldn't need bosses that are as easy as Kormrok/Reaver/HF Assault, as lower difficulties serve that purpose.
    Don't be one of those people that think the loot we need to kill the boss should be dropped by said boss.

Deleted
    Freebie Raid Bosses?

Sounds like LFR, Normal and Heroic to me.