Thread: The Pit lords

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question The Pit lords

With all these countless Burning Legion's invasions on Azeroth and seeing lots of different demon species,I have a question specifically about the pit lords. As seen in the Warcraft 3 and Warlords of Draenor cinematic,Mannoroth,their leader,explodes when he dies,which can't be seen in the game,when you kill him or any other pit lord.Is that a plothole and the whole explosion stuff was made up only to glorify the Grom's death?

Share your thoughts!

I think we're dying enough per invasion as is. Must we die when we finally win too?

I have a nice little bit of advice for you. 99% of the time when something in game doesn't play out like it does in a cinematic, book, etc. it's because it's either not a good game mechanic or one that would be difficult to implement.

I always speculated it has to do with how they die. If you pierce them, they erupt because their blood is almost pure chaotic fel held in by their bodies. But, if simply beaten down with blunt force, they would likely just die like any other creature because you aren't causing them to bleed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I always speculated it has to do with how they die. If you pierce them, they erupt because their blood is almost pure chaotic fel held in by their bodies. But, if simply beaten down with blunt force, they would likely just die like any other creature because you aren't causing them to bleed out.
    this is how i viewed it.

we have seen in wow that when pit lords die they taint the area around them even if they dont kaboom ala felmyst
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Well,I thought about it too.But it's not like we hit Mannoroth or any other pit lord only with spells - I even don't know how many times they got pierced,cut,sliced etc. during a single raid encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by samwel93 View Post
    I have a nice little bit of advice for you. 99% of the time when something in game doesn't play out like it does in a cinematic, book, etc. it's because it's either not a good game mechanic or one that would be difficult to implement.
    It's most likely this. Killing the group when you beat the fight just isn't good gameplay, even if lorewise, Annihilan should explode on death.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    I think we're dying enough per invasion as is. Must we die when we finally win too?
    Well,it's not like it would be some unavoidable raid mechanic.If you stand still and ignore the basic mechanics,even the basic campfire can force you to run back to your corpse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    Well,I thought about it too.But it's not like we hit Mannoroth or any other pit lord only with spells - I even don't know how many times they got pierced,cut,sliced etc. during a single raid encounter.
    Might have something to do with the strength of the initial blow.
    Grom preety much one-shot him... twice; meaning a big wound that just bursted.
    We, on the other hand (counting only the "current-content" itterations), poked and bled him/them till they rolled over.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    Well,it's not like it would be some unavoidable raid mechanic.If you stand still and ignore the basic mechanics,even the basic campfire can force you to run back to your corpse.
    Unless you're very low level or stuck in combat, no, it can't.

Deleted
    That pit lord in Illidan´s Harbringers video explodes as well.

The explosions look cool in the cinematic, so they were there. However, I'd assume that implementing it in-game would take some unnecessary (minor) resources that serve no real purpose other than making players frustrated. Just take it as sometime the pitlords explode upon death, sometimes they don't. The player character hasn't happened to stumble upon an explosion yet, but it can happen (I do remember someone saying some pit lords can explode, though, gonna check youtube since I'm on a long break from game).
    Edit: scratch that
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-08-16 at 08:46 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

The warrior player faces a pit lord that explodes in their quest before getting arriving at the class hall.

I think the only ingame Pitlord that exploded was Magtheridon, at least during BC he was having spasms before turning into dust.

Deleted
    Actually it`s not only Pit Lords that explode upon death. Some of those occasions are even in raid mecanics.
    When you are send down in the Killrogg encounter the Tall Adds explode (looking like Baloroc from FL) plus the fel infused Orcs die when slain and leave a Patch of blood underneath them (at least on mythic).

Now that i Think about it.. pretty much anything explodes when it comes to fel magic. The new demo Lock can let his Imps explode in the targets face for AoE burst Varian goes boof when infused with fel magic Socretar had the Fel magic literally shooting at people because the construct was to weak to control it the Demon hunter guy in the DH Starting Zones explodes because he was to weak

It might just be inconcistency in Blizzards story telling but my guess is that it depends on two factors:

1. The Power with which the being is infused atm.
    That would explain why the fel infused orcs exploded because their usually weak shell was infused with power aka. too powerfull for them.

2. If the beeing is Suprised or killed in one blow
    Mannoroth in the WoD trailer or vs Thrall and Grommash exploded but not the one we encountered in HFC plus he was weakened (see point 1)
    Archimonde dying in the Raid -> no explosion but when he was suprised by whisps (and channeling all his power into the Tree from Hyjal) it was a huuge explosion with destruction along the whole zone

This however is only speculation and i'd like to hear your ideas
    Last edited by mmoc09b1edf1ae; 2016-08-16 at 09:06 PM.

Not only that, but Gorehowl is an enchanted weapon designed to slay giants. It fit for Mannoroth.

Not any weapon hitting him there would have slain him.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's one of those cases where it's either a) hard to implement or b) pointless.

It looks cool and in lore it happens but ingame it just doesn't for the reasons mentioned above.

Magtheridon sometimes explodes when killed. You'd have to ask blizzard why Mannoroth and others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I think it's one of those cases where it's either a) hard to implement or b) pointless.

It looks cool and in lore it happens but ingame it just doesn't for the reasons mentioned above.
    Pit Lord mobs have a second death animation in which they explode.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2016-08-17 at 02:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Magtheridon sometimes explodes when killed. You'd have to ask blizzard why Mannoroth and others don't.

Pit Lord mobs have a second death animation in which they explode.
    Really?

Can you show me a video of it or something like that? I'd like to see how it looks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    this is how i viewed it.

we have seen in wow that when pit lords die they taint the area around them even if they dont kaboom ala felmyst
    yeah i sorta agree with this, one shotting them with a blade, they are still very much alive and that causes all their chaotic energy to burst out, but slowly killing them over a longer period weakens them, to the point that when you do killthem, their energy is weak and well doesent casue them to explode

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Really?

Can you show me a video of it or something like that? I'd like to see how it looks.

from wowhead, and if you go to his 3d model you can see his animation if you go under death, it does no damage, and hes the only one to have it so... yeah its weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content