Thread: Black Desert

Due to the price caps, the pearl shop items benefit the buyer way more than the seller. $150 nets around 82mil. Being able to buy a costume for 20 mil is awesome. Being able to pets for 5 mil is amazing. All of this is made even better by the fact that you can not pre-order this items so everyone has a fair shot at them.

There were still a few players that quit yesterday. We lost 3 out of 100 people. I saw the top guild on UNO lost 10, but from what I heard it was mainly trimming the roster to make room for new apps.

I excited and hopeful for the news we will receive at Gamescom. I can't wait for Awakening weapons.

Deleted
    Korea got a patch today that added a Fame system. There isn't many details about that in patch notes, I'll try to dig something up..

AFAIK you gain bonuses by having multiple alts.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Sort of depressing to see each and every new MMO quickly falter and go f2p/cash shop shenanigan mode
    Mostly due to unreal expectations I'd wager. Must be 'better' than WoW, with over a decade of development and polish, on release

MMORPG genre is being phased out in favor of drop-in-and-play games

Bummer.
    It's kind of rudimentary when you think about it. Online games for a myriad of reasons need a steady-ish stream of revenue from the players. If you're not going to charge one of those evil sub fees *chuckle*, your cash shop better be full of goods lucrative enough for players to continually open their wallets anyhow.

BDO is a perfect real world example of why the sub fee is actually superior, but we'll probably need a few more highly anticipated titles to follow suit before revenue streams get looked at again.

MMO's themselves aren't going anywhere. If anything, the genre shrinking a bit would probably be beneficial. But that's another discussion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    So be weary of any mmo where you can buy the best gear with a currency. That's why WoW's token isn't my personal definition of P2W. The AH doesn't have the best gear. Boss drops (and mythic caches/pvp crates) have the best gear. No way to buy them.
    Mythic runs with guaranteed loot are sold all the time for gold in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Mythic runs with guaranteed loot are sold all the time for gold in WoW.
    So you claim that WoW is P2W because players can buy a mythic run with gold? Or are you just being contrary for shits and giggles?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I don't think it's too much to ask people to give feedback based on actual abilities/testing, not hyperbole. (Celestalon)

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you claim that WoW is P2W because players can buy a mythic run with gold? Or are you just being contrary for shits and giggles?
    People can buy gold with real money. People call it p2w in BD, but not in WoW? How come?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    People can buy gold with real money. People call it p2w in BD, but not in WoW? How come?
    it's been stated before that gear works very differently in both games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    it's been stated before that gear works very differently in both games.
    It gives you stats does it not? And instead of getting a new piece of gear as an upgrade you upgrade the gear you have. Completely irrelevant difference where p2w is concerned. It's just a different gear grind mechanic.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    It gives you stats does it not? And instead of getting a new piece of gear as an upgrade you upgrade the gear you have. Completely irrelevant difference where p2w is concerned. It's just a different gear grind mechanic.
    gear in WoW doesn't give you the same amount of power as gear in BDO. In BDO, your power is completely dependent on gear and an increase of +1 makes a world of difference. A group of people that have the highest possibly upgraded gear will outplay anyone and can control where other players can do their own grinding to be competitive.
    Pretty shitty mechanic where Open world PVP is the community praised 'end-game'. Altough the system has always been flawed IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    gear in WoW doesn't give you the same amount of power as gear in BDO.
    Wait whaaaaat? go play some wow with grey gear. Most of the stats come from gear. The gear in wow gives as much power as gear in BD. What in BD is +1 in wow is +6 ilvl

Deleted
    Wait whaaaaat? go play some wow with grey gear. Most of the stats come from gear. The gear in wow gives as much power as gear in BD. What in BD is +1 in wow is +6 ilvl
    not power as in raw power, power as in what you end up using the higher grade gear for.

End game in WoW is instanced raids. Being overgeared does not allow you to negatively influence other players (or influence them at all, really) and you are still able to attempt high tier raids even with lower grade gear with a chance to succeed. End-game gear is just a carrot on a stick of prestige and a ticket into the elitist speedrun groups.

In BDO, 'End-game' is often defined by the community as Open world PVP. A game mode where you directly influence the playstyle of other players if you intend to get in their way. And those players have nothing they can do against you because they're undergeared trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can spend money, get in game currency and then use said currency to buy the best gear in the game directly from a player/store/AH, its pay to win.
    It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is because its irrelevant. Its the literal definition.

BDO: lvl to 60 get the Best gear -> be a god, kill everyone, every piece of content will be easy now..
    WoW: lvl to 100 get best PvP Gear -> get killed by 2 people or even 1 if you can't play your class, content still hard

10+ Year Old Account
    not power as in raw power, power as in what you end up using the higher grade gear for.

End game in WoW is instanced raids.
    That is so wrong, only like 5% of players raid in their end game.

Sounds like we will be seeing awakening weapons very soon, maybe next week.

Deleted
    That is so wrong, only like 5% of players raid in their end game.
    If you constantly can't be bothered to read past the first few lines, I won't be bothered to try to have a discussion with you.
    Last edited by mmoc30ed4cc660; 2016-08-17 at 01:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by natrodamus View Post
    Sounds like we will be seeing awakening weapons very soon, maybe next week.
    They skipped this weeks maintenance so there is probably going to be a bigger patch next week :fingers crossed:

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    If you can spend money, get in game currency and then use said currency to buy the best gear in the game directly from a player/store/AH, its pay to win.
    It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is because its irrelevant. Its the literal definition.
    In order for it to be pay 2 win, the money spent needs to cause you to "win."

In WoW 95% of players would never be able to clear current mythic regardless of how good their gear is. Spending that money didn't cause them to "win".

In bdo the end game is literally open world pvp, where you cannot lose if your gear is better than other players. Buying player power in bdo makes you "win" because the end goal of bdo is to have more player power which is not the case in wow.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

End game in BDO is node/siege wars. In large group pvp, 1 person will not make a huge difference, and if their gear is truly that much better than everyone elses they will usually be targeted first by divers and locked down and killed. Most competitive guilds sit average around tri weapon/pri accessories/duo armor and offhand. So 1 person in full tet gear is going to be able to kill a lot of people, but he is not unkillable to the other guild.

Open world pvp and grind spot conflicts aren't nearly as prevalent because they don't matter. You can open world pvp anyone, but what do you gain... nothing. What do you lose Karma unless its a guild war. If you die you lose nothing at all. It is rather pointless because if they person you are trying to deny the farm spot from wants to farm, killing them will only slow them down for a few seconds. Right now it is one of the most frustrating things in the game. A few months ago you killed someone they lost 1% xp. That was usually enough to make you want to farm somewhere else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by natrodamus View Post
    End game in BDO is node/siege wars. In large group pvp, 1 person will not make a huge difference, and if their gear is truly that much better than everyone elses they will usually be targeted first by divers and locked down and killed. Most competitive guilds sit average around tri weapon/pri accessories/duo armor and offhand. So 1 person in full tet gear is going to be able to kill a lot of people, but he is not unkillable to the other guild.
    Now imagine it's not just one person but an entire guild that's solely created by and accepting people that can get the best gear fast(er) because they are willing to pump more money into the game.

I'm pointing out what's available, and that gold buying is more or less sanctioned by Blizzard as long as you do it through them via tokens. Discussing whether a game is P2W or not is sort of pointless, as different folks are going to have a different definition of what "win" actually means, or how important it is in the first place.

I'm of the mind that cash shops themselves are cancerous to any game, and that items available only via such a method are a dis-service to the game itself. Ask me to pay a sub fee for a game I consider worthwhile, and I gladly will. Encourage me to use a cash shop, especially by putting advantageous items on there, and you won't see a dime of my money. *shrug*