Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yes.. I am so for Cooking at School

I had cooking at school when I was a young vegemite (about 11-12 years old).

It helped me learn to follow directions (the recipe), which also helped me with Chemistry at University (mixing chemicals together).

Cooking also created a sense of Achievement , which is good for a young Fella.

Cooking at school also gave me confidence in preparing my own healthy food, without relying on Takeaways & bad Pizza from down the road.

I say Cooking at school has a lot of good benefits which are learned, besides producing just a finished cake.
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2016-08-17 at 07:53 AM.

We already do that in most scandinavian countries.

Did that for years in school.

Today I make fine food, trough wasn't from this....school stuff, more just from home.

But yea...changing that in the USA is never gonna happen...failed country.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Yes it should and where I live it already is. It's not that cooking is hard, but it's a basic life skill. Especially kids whose parents don't cook (and there are lot of those in the US, working 2 or 3 jobs and just picking something on the way home) need these classes to show them they can cook. Also, homemade food is so much cheaper and healthier alternative I believe that, especially in poor neighbourhoods, it could affect peoples health greatly. This would mean people working longer, getting to pay more taxes, less healthcare and social support spending in a way that nobody suffers from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    . Also, homemade food is so much cheaper and healthier alternative I believe that, especially in poor neighbourhoods, it could affect peoples health greatly. This would mean people working longer, getting to pay more taxes, less healthcare and social support spending in a way that nobody suffers from it.
    I've been running scratch cooking kitchens for years. Homemade food isn't automatically healthier, other than the fact you can control what's used. And it isn't necessarily cheaper, especially for a small family, unless you really know how to stretch a product. (How many containers of leftovers have died in your refrigerator?)

It isn't automatically cheaper, either. I can't make a single serving salad at home for the price I can get one at McD (economics of scale).

What I'd like to see, however, is an initiative to bring 16+ year kids into professional kitchens in my city to show them that working with their hands is a useful practice, and that there are many moving parts in a kitchen, involving your hands, your head, your voice, and your creativity.

Anyway... I'm a dreamer.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    In my school we were forced to take Home Economics for 4 years, about ages 11-14 (option to continue it after 4 years) which covered cooking and sewing, for girls and boys :P Personally I felt like I didn't learn much from the cooking side of things as I was already heavily involved in cooking back at home with my parents as I really enjoyed it, but certainly my brother and others who were keen to learn in class picked up a fair amount of knowledge which they still use to this day The sewing was good to learn although I admit in only picking a needle and thread up about twice since learning it, but at least I know how! (This was like 10 years ago)

My (newbie) DeviantArt - Beautiful sig by Shyama

Deleted
    It was mandatory, teacher insisted we had to peel clementines like oranges with knife, god I hated that food-Nazi bitch!!!!!!!!@!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    If anything, less privileged people are the ones who would be the most likely to know how to cook since they are likely more independent.
    cup of noodles isn't cooking is it? PB and J isn't cooking either. Here in the US good quality food is expensive. I have to feed my family am I going to buy healthy vegetables when a green pepper costs $1.79 apiece or ramen that i get get 7 packs of for that same price?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    cup of noodles isn't cooking is it? PB and J isn't cooking either. Here in the US good quality food is expensive. I have to feed my family am I going to buy healthy vegetables when a green pepper costs $1.79 apiece or ramen that i get get 7 packs of for that same price?
    It's a shame that vegetables are more expensive in your area. In NJ, a green pepper is like half that cost at our farmers markets.

One of the few reasons to like NJ, The Garden State. We have pretty cheap produce.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    It's a shame that vegetables are more expensive in your area. In NJ, a green pepper is like half that cost at our farmers markets.

One of the few reasons to like NJ, The Garden State. We have pretty cheap produce.
    yeah man, they have to ship everything here we can't grow shit on the great plains/ The only thing we get cheap is potatoes. Broccoli is like $3 a lb here

Deleted
    It was taught in my school, I am from the UK and it wasn't a grammar school, but public.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Typing class was so retarded. As there were about 3 of us out of 35 who knew how to type but we had to do the same dumb shit all the casuals did. We were forced to put paper over our hands and keyboard. Meanwhile i learned to type rather fast thanks to starcraft like 6 years beforehand.

- - - Updated - - -

Also by computer skills i think installing a fresh os and getting it setup for the internet and troubleshooting basic things should be a must. Everyone should be able to setup a new wireless router and brand new pc. Expand to an advanced class of building pc for those that want to learn more and you get people that arnt pants on heads retarded when dealing with computers.
    Hah I had to take a typing class and the final objective at the end of the semester was like 120 WPM, I did like 210 on day one (thank you Ultima Online) and was given an A, pretty much just treated it as a free hour the rest of the semester, worked on stuff for other classes, included some C+ and VB for other classes (same teacher.)

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm having trouble seeing where a fortune could be made with kitchenless houses. Location, kitchen, and bathrooms are probably the highest on the list of driving a property value up. I'm not even sure it's legal to sell or lease out a property as residential here if there isn't a kitchen available (can be communal, as in renting out a room in a house).
    Sarcasm meter broken? I know that it's not possible. People need their kitchens so they can show off all of their new unused expensive appliances. So they can show off their awesome marble and granite counter tops that never get dirty because nothing is ever actually prepared on them. People need to have a place to gather around to serve and eat their Pizza Hut and Panda Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    And this is why people are overweight, living off of microwave food and mcdonalds.
    Believe me, I know. I work in the industry. I see the absolutely horrible eating habits that people have on a daily basis. My employees think I'm strange because I bring my own lunch and dinner from home. When I try to explain to them why I do, they can't even comprehend the reason. They think there is nothing else but takeout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    yeah man, they have to ship everything here we can't grow shit on the great plains/ The only thing we get cheap is potatoes. Broccoli is like $3 a lb here
    Shit man! That is crazy!

I learned that in a past thread about food costs. Apparently this is the one thing we have going for us in NJ. It is far cheaper to buy your own food and cook it, than it is to buy fast food. We are one of the few places where it is actually cheaper to eat healthier.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Sarcasm meter broken? I know that it's not possible. People need their kitchens so they can show off all of their new unused expensive appliances. So they can show off their awesome marble and granite counter tops that never get dirty because nothing is ever actually prepared on them. People need to have a place to gather around to serve and eat their Pizza Hut and Panda Express.
    My sarcasm meter is fine. Your delivery valve might need to be opened a little, though.

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Believe me, I know. I work in the industry. I see the absolutely horrible eating habits that people have on a daily basis. My employees think I'm strange because I bring my own lunch and dinner from home. When I try to explain to them why I do, they can't even comprehend the reason. They think there is nothing else but takeout.
    By "the industry" I assume you mean THE Industry? I don't bring my own food to work because BoH policy is essentially, if you have time to cook it and eat it, go for it. I run a somewhat high end restaurant; never worked in any kind of chain, fast food or quick service, so your mileage may vary.

I guess what I find odd is that I don't think cooking is difficult enough to warrant teaching...

I self taught myself at a early age how to it isn't exactly hard and I didn't have a computer back then. Now all you need to to is google what you want to eat and add recipe at the end of it.

I am not even sure what you would teach in cooking classes... I know they were offered at my high school but doesn't it all boil down to read the recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I am not even sure what you would teach in cooking classes... I know they were offered at my high school but doesn't it all boil down to read the recipe?
    Tell me how to make mayonnaise from scratch at home. No googling.

(Teaching food knowledge. Can't cook it if you don't know it exists).

Tell me how to make mayonnaise from scratch at home. No googling.

(Teaching food knowledge. Can't cook it if you don't know it exists).
    Why not using google?

I couldn't tell you either way i don't like mayonnaise to start with ;P

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Why not using google?

I couldn't tell you either way i don't like mayonnaise to start with ;P
    My point is more like, there are basic techniques in cooking. Would you know to look up the Mother Sauces if I hadn't typed it here?

I'm not saying you can't cook. Not saying that at all. My question is more like, if you walked into my home kitchen with no idea what you'd find, could you make something from whatever I happen to have? That's the situation most people are in.

My point is more like, there are basic techniques in cooking. Would you know to look up the Mother Sauces if I hadn't typed it here?

I'm not saying you can't cook. Not saying that at all. My question is more like, if you walked into my home kitchen with no idea what you'd find, could you make something from whatever I happen to have? That's the situation most people are in.
    Pretty much yeah... unless you have some really far out there food. I even know how to butcher most game. I was cooking since i was 10. It might just be me but I can't fathom not knowing how to do at least basic cooking.