Deleted
    so from the last few pages of this thread we can take away that Destro has been nerfed hard and is bottom of the lock specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    so from the last few pages of this thread we can take away that Destro has been nerfed hard and is bottom of the lock specs?
    Destruction still has the fullest kit and, assuming the numbers eventually get fixed will likely be the go-to for PvE content. Seeing as they're clearly doing fairly large balance changes (despite the late date), it seems wisest to stick with the most flexible spec while the numbers are ironed out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    No, it's still the most versatile and in most encounters "useful" since affliction and demonology are hobbled by their inherent long rampup times - lack of burst, lack of aoe, and in demo's case bad cleave too.

Destruction has burst, cleave and decent aoe so it will still be by far the strongest on any fight with priority-kill adds and probably outshine affliction on two boss fights and competes on 3 boss ones

Unfortunately, even our strongest spec is weak compared to mages, hunters, dk's and dh's.

Put your heart and soul into it and you can reach the giddy heights of mediocrity! Mages will coast and be top damage.

I think destruction will get it's "best of a bad lot" award

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    No, it's still the most versatile and in most encounters "useful" since affliction and demonology are hobbled by their inherent long rampup times - lack of burst, lack of aoe, and in demo's case bad cleave too.

Destruction has burst, cleave and decent aoe so it will still be by far the strongest on any fight with priority-kill adds and probably outshine affliction on two boss fights and competes on 3 boss ones

Unfortunately, even our strongest spec is weak compared to mages, hunters, dk's and dh's.

Put your heart and soul into it and you can reach the giddy heights of mediocrity! Mages will coast and be top damage.

I think destruction will get it's "best of a bad lot" award
    I know it's become almost a meme that destro is the versatile one and the other warlock specs are useless for pretty much anything that isn't patchwerk. But it's nowhere near that clear-cut. For many kinds of AoE, affliction is actually the best warlock spec (see e.g. Scorpyron). For certain kinds of burst, affliction can perform just as well as, or even better than, destruction. In fights where there are long-lived less important adds and a more important priority target, affliction mechanics work better than destruction vs. the priority target (UA spam due to having Agony on several targets). Etc. People get way too fixated on their "destro is the only flexible spec" idea when the main problem with affliction might simply be that it is undertuned.

Warlock destro is the more versatile spec of warlock. They can do everything "ok", other specs have downsides and since we'll be "hardlocked" by artifact weapon in the early expansion we'll not have the option of switching spec just for one fight. Later the expansion we'll start to see locks switching specs for a specific fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackops2008 View Post
    Warlock destro is the more versatile spec of warlock. They can do everything "ok", other specs have downsides and since we'll be "hardlocked" by artifact weapon in the early expansion we'll not have the option of switching spec just for one fight. Later the expansion we'll start to see locks switching specs for a specific fight.
    Not quite. Mobility and certain types of AoE are some of the weaknesses of destro. Something that affliction has the better tools for. Destro's single target burst can also be quite mediocre. Destro might still be the more "versatile" one, but as I said it is nowhere near as clear-cut as many ppl suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Not quite. Mobility and certain types of AoE are some of the weaknesses of destro. Something that affliction has the better tools for. Destro's single target burst can also be quite mediocre. Destro might still be the more "versatile" one, but as I said it is nowhere near as clear-cut as many ppl suggest.
    ... so, what will you be playing ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mobility is better than in WoD and Legion Destruction is capable of WoD level of Arcane Mage burst.

AoE is indeed problematic, if you need quick AoE.

This is quite truth, Mobility in destro is like trying to jump high using your hands over your feets, but for this exactly reason is why Warlocks are more tanky right now, and Destro have a lot better surv with the short CD on UR, while Affly have to run like a headless chiken to no get caught by nastys AOE... Also, Destro ST burst is not mediocre, is just not acceptable for a lot of ppl, but with GoServ + Soul Harvest + Doomguard you can have a very good burst (and even better with the portals, bcoz they get buffed by SH too)... And this can be even more bursty if you take Mana tap (no saying is worthy tho, but is a option no less)...

For fight with duration less of 1min, this is my opening:

Cataclyms > Conflagrate x2 (Roaring Blaze) > SH + GoServ + Doomguard > CDF

This make me stand in the top of the chart some times for the whole duration of SH (poorly 12s sadly...), times with no Mage period, and later, i still have good DPS for another 12s for stay on the fight for the top dps metter.

Plain and simple, Destro is more flexible, and very bursty with the right setup, and even in AoE fights with Cataclyms (hit as hard as a Chaos Bolt, and is AoE), and with the artifact may be even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    ... so, what will you be playing ?
    Due to my working schedule I won't be raiding seriously so I'll just pick some fun class and play that, I guess.

currently leveling a new warlock, and is it just me or did they completely miss the mark with Destruction Warlock class fantasy? Fire Mage seems way more "destructive"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    currently leveling a new warlock, and is it just me or did they completely miss the mark with Destruction Warlock class fantasy? Fire Mage seems way more "destructive"
    They did. They replaced it with an RNG mess they now try to sell us as "improved class fantasy".

We now have less control over our mechanics, less powerful CBs, less visual effects, lesser amount of interesting flavor-giving quirks (soul shatter removed, conflagrate daze removed, dreadsteed waterwalk removed, faster GCD and mana reg. removed, ...), less interaction between abilities, less interesting secondary resource system, totally unappealing RNG mastery, less emphasis on nukes and more emphasis on dots and external guardians and pets ("bonus" points for having the latter compete for the same resource we use for the nukes), proper dps cooldown taken away, a fun AoE mechanics removed and replaced by horribly clunky RoF, lots of spec-defining core abilities removed and made into mutually exclusive talents, reintroduction of disliked outdated mechanics (life tap, mana tap; "bonus" points for implementing the worst version of life tap ever -- the one which scales negatively with gear! Years ago they tried to do the same but back then the player feedback made them reconsider -- not any more!).

And this is just some of the features of this new "class fantasy".
    Last edited by Uzkin; 2016-08-18 at 08:07 AM.

Ironically destructions fantasy isn't "destruction" so much as "chaos".
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can someone explain to me why they removed soul shatter?
    As i know hunters still have their feign death and priest still have fade and rogues still have vanish.
    All threat removing/reducing skills so why are locks back to "soulstoning yourself and have a new go at aggro" which was a thing until wrath i think?

Deleted
    They think that no warlock will ever at any time over-threat anyone?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Putting pathetic fanbois, white knight nitwits, and cunt anti-flyers on /ignore
    They did. They replaced it with an RNG mess they now try to sell us as "improved class fantasy".
    "Class fantasy" is not a thing. But it sure helps blizz when players treat it as one.
    Terms used by morons: "passive-aggressive", "lol", "lel", "kek", "um", "welp", "dat", "legendberries", & "you do realize".
    People who use "/thread" are not morons - even morons aren't that fucked up.
    But for abject, pathetic stupidity - nobody beats the "Hay if u dont play wow why u on theez bords lol" crowd.

couldn`t have said it better uzkin(tried and failed^^)

lets cross fingers they at least add something new.. both good and creative down the line. an ability or two with good interaction. and perhaps bring back some of the good old stuff as well. one doesn`t have to be a psychic to predict a lot of disillusioned unsubing locks in a few months time though

Thank you for the guide

Deleted
    Do destro warlocks ever use Drain Life?

We now have less control over our mechanics, less powerful CBs, less visual effects, lesser amount of interesting flavor-giving quirks (soul shatter removed, conflagrate daze removed, dreadsteed waterwalk removed, faster GCD and mana reg. removed, ...), less interaction between abilities, less interesting secondary resource system, totally unappealing RNG mastery, less emphasis on nukes and more emphasis on dots and external guardians and pets ("bonus" points for having the latter compete for the same resource we use for the nukes), proper dps cooldown taken away, a fun AoE mechanics removed and replaced by horribly clunky RoF, lots of spec-defining core abilities removed and made into mutually exclusive talents, reintroduction of disliked outdated mechanics (life tap, mana tap; "bonus" points for implementing the worst version of life tap ever -- the one which scales negatively with gear! Years ago they tried to do the same but back then the player feedback made them reconsider -- not any more!).

And this is just some of the features of this new "class fantasy".
    this is probably the best example for 'do the devs even play their own game?' any company has ever given. i've never been so disappointed in changes to a game. this prepatch just feels like a slap in the face. it's absolutely disgusting how much feedback they ignored and it suprises me that they pushed these changes to live. it shows tthat after 10 years they still have absolutely no clue what they're doing. i'm very sad about how they murdered destruction.