Thread: DDoS at Launch

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

DDoS at Launch

Is anyone else expecting the Legion launch to be marred by another DDoS attack? The last couple of expansions have been almost unplayable due to DDoS attacks.
    Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethershock View Post
    Is anyone else expecting the Legion launch to be marred by another DDoS attack? The last couple of expansions have been almost unplayable due to DDoS attacks.
    DDoS Attack =//= Players Logging in.. NOT Really the same..

The unplayable time during Expansions has been because of bottlenecks created by blizzard.. and a fried login server.

7+ Year Old Account
    There'll be lag for sure from the amount of people joining.

Now as for DDOS, I hope blizzard has learned something from all the DDOS over the last 2 months and upped their security to tell the difference between actual people connecting and attacks.

Another thing to take into account is that blizzard now has HotS and OW too, so during launch they might have less players so Blizz might temporarily take some of that server space, if their server architecture supports easy swapping like that

Every big internet event will have people DDoS it. These people want "fame" so targetting big releases makes sense. That said, it might also be used as an excuse by the responsible company. Lacking server power? Blame DDoS.

7+ Year Old Account
    If there is a DDoS they will do it during high population times. So around 6 PM America (and w/e the peak time is) and friday/weekends.

You realize the launch problems for WoD were servers being overwhelmed by actual players right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by acederp View Post
    If there is a DDoS they will do it during high population times. So around 6 PM America (and w/e the peak time is) and friday/weekends.
    Well EU launch is 29th 4PM west time(idk US timezones) and US is midnight between 29th and 30th, so both of them are close to that time, and that's also when most ppl are gonna be trying to connect

Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    You realize the launch problems for WoD were servers being overwhelmed by actual players right?
    Blizzard stated they got DDoS'd. So it's most likely a combination of both.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Their server architecture does allow for at least base level login across all games. Their authentication for actually accessing servers is a per game kinda thing though.
    Yeah, but I mean do they have the the option to easily convert(without any game having downtime) lets say 30% of HotS servers to WoW and the convert them back. For wow it should be possible without downtime because of the new shard phasing

The people that did it already said they are going to DDOS for a week straight at the launch of Legion. So yes I am expecting it. Hopefully Blizzard has some counter measures planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post

Now as for DDOS, I hope blizzard has learned something from all the DDOS over the last 2 months and upped their security to tell the difference between actual people connecting and attacks.

Another thing to take into account is that blizzard now has HotS and OW too, so during launch they might have less players so Blizz might temporarily take some of that server space, if their server architecture supports easy swapping like that
    You can't stop a DDOS. There's no extra security they can put in place to stop the script kiddies who think they're real hackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    People are being assholes just because the can or what is the idea...?
    This group was part of the ban wave of Overwatch. So they got nerd raged and targeted blizzard.

DDoS attacks are almost guaranteed for Legion's launch, prepare yourself.

That's not really how it works... One of the reasons denial of service attacks are so successful is because it's so hard to distinguish between real traffic and fake traffic. Even if you're filtering "bad traffic," too much of it, as is the case with a distributed denial of service, will bog down your filtering device and take you offline. Honestly, at this point, it's a matter of people whose computers have been turned into bots to either remove their computers from the internet to prevent its use in DDoS, or get a new one and stop going to sites where you can get this malicious software (since cleaning their computer of the malware is clearly beyond their scope).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    People are being assholes just because the can or what is the idea...?
    It's a big launch and when Blizzard eventually tweets that their servers are DDOS'd the scriptkiddies can bat each other on their virtual backs and get mad internet points, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    You do realize that it was announced on several sites (including Blizzards) that they were ddos'd. If you noticed/played after the first 2 days, it was perfect (Coincidentally when the ddos attacks stopped.)

As to the OP... yes I expect it. I agree with the earlier poster that it will happen during peak times (probably during mid to late afternoon/evening on the 30th).
    Last edited by Lewlies; 2016-08-17 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    DDOSers always lose interest after the first day anyway.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Why would a DDoS be needed to prevent players from playing in launch day when the amount of players logging in is enough for the game to be unplayable? I wonder..

I also guess they won't have too many problems at launch, because of the better server scaling. Also you can decide which part of broken isles you start, so the ppl won't all be crowded into one zone - a huge and awesome side effect from the level scaling

On terms of DDoS ... that's something you can't protect against. Or at least not totally. Even the best scaling server needs one cluster for an entry point - like a login system. If that gets DDOSED, you cant do much against it. Sure, the bombing IP's get banned by the firewall, but that takes time, because they don't want to ban usual players hitting F5.

Also if they have multiple lines and all of them get flooded with DoS etc. ... no chance to protect against. Just a quick example. Back in the days a friend of mine had ISDN, I already had dsl with 192k upload. Or 128k... dunno. Anyway - ISDN could do 64k so I flooded him and waited for his timeout in IRC just for the fun of it. He disabled IGMP and ICMP (ping etc.), so his pc didn't answer my "flood" but still, I killed his line by hitting him with 100k and he got a timeout.

Same problem with today's DoS, but in a larger scale.
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

10+ Year Old Account
    People logging on to play the new xpac is a DDoS attack now days?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!