Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Best part of increasing diversity is seeing how retarded the arguments against it are.

How in comic books having any number of black/gay/women/whatever is so unrealistic, since they wouldnt fit in between the norse god and the stretchy dude and the dude from mars.

Comic books have done every flavor of retarded shit, but this particular change is somehow the worst thing ever and blahbitty blah blah.Ah well, I'll keep reading just so all the idiots that think they definitely arent racist have an aneurysm.

The diversity isn't a new thing. The characters have always changed/died/evolved/came back. It's only now people are so butthurt these days, they think any change is "OMFG SJW. THE WORLD IS TOO PC WTF". Seems like a large part of this whole "outrage" are marvel fans who know only the avengers movies and have no real knowledge of the comics in the first place.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Seems like a large part of this whole "outrage" are marvel fans who know only the avengers movies and have no real knowledge of the comics in the first place.
    I don't think anyone in the thread who has been in favour of diversity for diversity's sake has read the recent Sam Wilson comics.

Guy who sells this stuff opinion. Most of you people are just whining about what you think is right and have no financial stake in it. I do have a concern in how these things sell and given my overly generous subscription discount I have to peddle a lot of it.

I don't read most Marvel comics (or DC). Mostly I tired of the soap opera awhile ago and I don't have the time to read everything anyways. I like Miles Morales and I like Kamala Khan because their respective writers care about the characters and they're both funny, light-hearted comics. Also Marvel sucks because they keep cancelling She-Hulk and their fans suck for thinking Deadpool is the comedian of the Marvel universe.

Thing I always tell people is that things change all the time. You can't expect them to remain the same forever. Yes you might get a gender swap, a race change or character death. Your favourite comics from the 90's or whatever AREN'T coming back regardless.

Quite frankly, you're not a real hero unless you've:
    A - Costume Changed
    B - Race/Gender/Orientation Changed
    C - Origin Changed
    D - Died
    E - Handled all of the above whilst fighting for Truth, Justice and the Canadian Way

Most people are willing to accept the changes if the writing and art are good. My sales on Thor jumped by 50% after Jane picked up the mallet. That 50% is almost solely from the same white males who come to my shop every week and its because Aaron and Dauterman kill it issue after issue. Hell, I'm tempted to read it and my interest in pervert suit comics is minimal.

Still its all subject to change. Next year Jane could've succumbed to cancer, we figure out why The Odinson still can't use the hammer but someone else picks it up instead. It could be WHITEDUDE. It could be someone else. Instead of the Horse from Space, we get the Peacock from Another Dimension instead.

A lot of people just don't like things to change. Its sometimes racism and/or misogyny but sometimes they want things to be the same. I got one dude who stopped reading Thor because he got turned into a girl (not technically true) but he enjoys the All New Wolverine comic because he always liked X23 and now she gets her own monthly.

So I just say: Lighten Up! Things change. Don't worry about it. They'll change again later even if you don't like it now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Do you have an example?
    Khan from Into Darkness. The character was supposed to be Indian. But it's good for white boys to see relatable characters on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Khan from Into Darkness. The character was supposed to be Indian. But it's good for white boys to see relatable characters on screen.
    I talked about that at length in these forums. Give me a sec to go through my post history.

Edit: http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=35720848

Theres a post or two about Ghangis Khan in there and something about the jungle book but the rest is about Khan from Star Trek.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2016-08-17 at 09:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I talked about that at length in these forums. Give me a sec to go through my post history.
    I think it's safe to say changing a eugenics based villain to white is the politically correct choice.

It's hit or miss for example Black Captain America sold like one third as well as Steve Rodgers and has been on the chopping block to be canceled for the last year. Ms Marvel sells much better than Captain Marvel, The Lady Thor sells way more than previous Thor and will be sticking around because, of that. The Politically Correct Avengers Aka All-New All-Different Avengers has been slipping on sales since launch and is being cancelled as I type and broken down into new teams.

I read everything that rolls through the shop and Marvels writers have been slipping for the last few years every major event they've done in memory has been not that well received. I blame mediocore writing as a partial reason for the failure of the ANAD Avengers also they gimmicked the launch of their new stuff in a shitty way they rebooted all of their series right after secret wars and that actually lost subscribers. It was really lazy and very cash grabby in my opinion.

Their paper quality is also the most inferior of any book that is published today within their price point which also turns off customers when it comes to buying new release books.

I think the biggest gains in comics by any publisher in the last few years has been Image they keep making books with better stories overall than Marvel or DC and it shows in their sales.

As for the source on this I run a comic shop IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I think it's safe to say changing a eugenics based villain to white is the politically correct choice.
    Which I also spoke about in my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    The diversity isn't a new thing. The characters have always changed/died/evolved/came back. It's only now people are so butthurt these days, they think any change is "OMFG SJW. THE WORLD IS TOO PC WTF". Seems like a large part of this whole "outrage" are marvel fans who know only the avengers movies and have no real knowledge of the comics in the first place.
    This is exactly what it is lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They should make new characters instead of changing existing ones to fit the diversity quota.
    how do people still have this idea they have been making new characters no one has changed for a diversity quota.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, let's complain about Thor being a girl.

When there was no complaint over THESE incarnations;

And that's just speaking of entities that WERE Thor, rather than just people who managed to wield the hammer.

Mjolnir doesn't come with an "unless they be a girl" exception clause.

Plus, if we want to dig into the actual mythology Thor sprang from, a little gender-bending is by no means out of the picture. Hell, Loki not only turned into a girl, he turned into a female horse, and gave birth to Odin's famous steed, Sleipnir.

Really, with all this stuff, it shouldn't matter that the character's now a girl, or the new person filling the role is black, or hispanic. Iron Man isn't defined by his being white. Thor isn't defined by being a dude. And for the most part, these aren't even changes to the actual character, they're new characters taking on these particular roles. Which makes the complaint even more silly.
    don't be silly people who complain thor is a girl don't actually read comics they have no idea those even exist.

I think someone's gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation can define someone, it happens in real life everyday, so why shouldn't superheroes face issues relating to gender, ethnicity etc. while obviously comic books do not reflect real life in that sense, they do have real life issues in them, it is not a paradise where there is no racism, sexism etc and to me that is one thing that would help keep it grounded and even relatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I think someone's gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation can define someone, it happens in real life everyday, so why shouldn't superheroes face issues relating to gender, ethnicity etc. while obviously comic books do not reflect real life in that sense, they do have real life issues in them, it is not a paradise where there is no racism, sexism etc and to me that is one thing that would help keep it grounded and even relatable.
    Actually, not really. If anything, it pulls me out and paints an annoying picture. It's no longer the struggle of the character. It's the struggle of their race, gender or sexuality.

Sam Wilson comics are just...ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Raamm View Post
    The Politically Correct Avengers Aka All-New All-Different Avengers has been slipping on sales since launch and is being cancelled as I type and broken down into new teams.
    I have no clue if this comic is any good but I will say one thing about Marvel.

Any excuse for a chance at doing another #1 issue is a good excuse.

ANAD Avengers is probably my best selling Avengers title still but they've all been slipping. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Oh and I agree Marvel's cover paper quality is shit. It creases easily and doesn't hold ink as well.

At least they didn't fuck up the Star Wars comics. Except that pissing off Kieron Gillen bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    When have characters ever not changed ever? Why is it an issue when they change to different genders or minorities, but not when they change to whole entire different species?!
    Pose the same question to you then; Why is it a problem if those characters remain as white, straight, males then? What's the problem if they just come up with new characters?

The answer is, there isn't a problem with any of it. There's no reason they can't keep white characters, and there is no reason they can't make new characters. It's all PC nonsense that characters are being forced into roles they have never been before just because the creators want to seem gay, lesbian, trans, minority friendly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Pose the same question to you then; Why is it a problem if those characters remain as white, straight, males then? What's the problem if they just come up with new characters?

The answer is, there isn't a problem with any of it. There's no reason they can't keep white characters, and there is no reason they can't make new characters. It's all PC nonsense that characters are being forced into roles they have never been before just because the creators want to seem gay, lesbian, trans, minority friendly.
    we are keeping white characters no white character has been made any other race all of theses have bee new characters its not pc nonsense they have been making new characters with the same name for years and years and no one has cared people only care now because they think its pc nonsense when its not.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    we are keeping white characters no white character has been made any other race all of theses have bee new characters its not pc nonsense they have been making new characters with the same name for years and years and no one has cared people only care now because they think its pc nonsense when its not.
    And people didn't give a shit about heroes being white and male until like ten years ago. I don't remember kids lamenting the fact they were following Peter Parker on tv.

10+ Year Old Account
    Complaining about diversity in completely made up universes...my God.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And people didn't give a shit about heroes being white and male until like ten years ago. I don't remember kids lamenting the fact they were following Peter Parker on tv.
    so you have to complain about some thing they have always been doing cause people you don't like might like it now and express that? that doesn't seem reasonable unless your trying to say some thing else i'm missing.