Thread: DDoS at Launch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lizardsquad will probably be out in full force for the launch.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Nethershock View Post
    Is anyone else expecting the Legion launch to be marred by another DDoS attack? The last couple of expansions have been almost unplayable due to DDoS attacks.
    I can't remember any launch being a victim of DDoS.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    norse traffic is all about honeypots, bots, and c&c

hardly anything worth paying attention to
    But, uh, correct me if I am wrong but aren't DDOS attacks specifically caused by bots?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone else expecting the Legion launch to be marred by another DDoS attack? The last couple of expansions have been almost unplayable due to DDoS attacks.
    I'll be out of the country in a week and won't be back until mid September, so luckily, I'll be missing all the fun first night release lag and DDoS attacks.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    I can't remember any launch being a victim of DDoS.
    Than you might want to get your memory checked if your having troubles remembering only 2 years ago.

oh i guarantee you theyll ddos on launch

I expect launch to be the shit show it always is, DDoS or not.

people in this tread who think blizz lies about being ddosd ... like... smh... dont even have words for it

Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    You realize the launch problems for WoD were servers being overwhelmed by actual players right?

it was a combination of Ddos and Player count.

blizzard did not expect 10 million at the start of WoD *didn't they say they expected 8 million?*

with the new server technology we have now though blizzard said they can increase server capacity on demand now or decrease it. however that only fixes one of the two problems.

can't fix Lizard Squad/trolls/children/DDOS

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Legitimate player logins (user traffic), no matter how much it floods the network, does not constitute a DDOS attack. While the effect may be the same, the determining factor of whether something is or is not in fact a DDOS attack is intent.
    DDOS attacks are defined by the fact that they are explicitly an attempt to deny usage of the network from legitimate users. A legitimate user attempting to login in order to play the game is not a DOS attack, even if you have so many users that some of them are unable to receive service.

There are some cases in which one might loosely refer to something as an "unintentional" DDOS/DOS attack, but in actuality this is just a congested network or poorly managed network component.
    You wouldn't call a sale bringing in a large volume of customers, causing a line to form, an attack. That's just being busy. But a rival store sending a large number of people to your store who won't actually buy anything in order to ruin your store's service and create long wait times, you would call that an "attack".
    orly?

so if 99% of all players in the world arranged to log in at the same time to each game they own, what would you call that? shits and giggles stress testing? what about the 1%?

the ddos wouldnt be measured in time, since logging activities would take a pathetic amount of time..... unless....authenticators... have you noticed how long you can leave the log in request hanging?

you call it poorly managed, but very few companies are going to account for 100% utilization of resources at any given point - its not a good practice from an economic stand point unless the service deems it necessary.... and blizz service has ZERO SLA agreements between provider and users

You won't need to ddos because logins will do it as good or better. It's comical to me when people take off a few days of work right when the expac launches. Give it a few days or you'll be sorry lol.

Deleted
    Blizzard has been very good at fighting off the ddos attacks.. No worries here after they smoked the deossers during cata launch..

That being said.. Who does these things . These people need a hobby.. Id suggest playing wow rather than trying to brekak it

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    You won't need to ddos because logins will do it as good or better. It's comical to me when people take off a few days of work right when the expac launches. Give it a few days or you'll be sorry lol.
    Particularly considering it'll be weeks before the first raid opens. plenty of time to get in, level up, and hit the gear ceiling if you've got an organised group and a bit of forward planning on where to go and what to do to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Blizzard's network admins will be sitting back and watching for the traffic to spike. Then they'll start dropping traffic from the junk sources. There's a reason why services like Cloudflare exist. They do nothing but sit and wait for DDOS attacks and then react. There's a distinct difference between valid and ddos traffic.

If there was no way to detect a DDOS then they would continue affecting services for days. Instead they are usually cleared up within an hour or less.
    Except it's quite hard to find the difference between heavy traffic and being DDOS'd. After a while they might find some connections that are DDOSing but it still takes a while, and it's not something you can prevent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haha stupid ass cant hack or nothin i got norton

There are always going to be immature hackers to go for blizzard and the like. Instead they should put their skills to use against really shitty world countries etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    But, uh, correct me if I am wrong but aren't DDOS attacks specifically caused by bots?
    which target devices created only to deal with poorly coded attacks....

any real, targeted attack, will never show up in norse as there wont be sensors picking up the traffic stats and reporting back to no-one-norse.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    which target devices created only to deal with poorly coded attacks....

any real, targeted attack, will never show up in norse as there wont be sensors picking up the traffic stats and reporting back to no-one-norse.
    So is there a different method to create a DDOS which can cripple certain networks of major companies then? Sony seemed to have gone through a rough patch for a while in regards to the LizardSquad DDOS and those were achieved through sheer numbers if I am not mistaken so couldn't Blizzard be vulnerable as well if their network wasn't up to task on top of being bombarded by overwhelming numbers?

I'm not trying to be thick or anything and if there are different methods to create a DDOS then feel free to correct me. It just seems like all it takes for a DDOS to work is less about the power of the swarm and more about the lack of countermeasures.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Than you might want to get your memory checked if your having troubles remembering only 2 years ago.
    WoD had nothing to do with DDoS. It was unplayable simply because the lack of hardware. Blizzard didn't expect that amount of players to be online at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    WoD had nothing to do with DDoS. It was unplayable simply because the lack of hardware. Blizzard didn't expect that amount of players to be online at the same time.
    No it was both more people than they expected and a DDoS attack. Blizzard had even said it was both of them. Unless your saying that Blizzard lied, the group that claimed responsibility lied plus the groups that monitor such lied as well.