Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    A college education tends to expand a person horizons a bit more than say... a person who stopped their education part way through high school.
    this is just vague nonsense. be a bit more specific. why does getting an engineering degree make you a beter paren?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Serious honest question here. What do you think needs to be done to fix poverty in poor urban areas?

I personally think we need a better student to teacher ratio, a lot of these kids are growing up with out family support and schools can only do so much.

Here is an example, my wife teachers on a poor urban area school. A kid just starting school, didn't know his numbers, didn't know any of his alphabet, and could barley talk. When the school asked the mother about this she said "I thought that's what school was for".
    Honestly, I don't know if teachers are the problem but parents/family. If anything you comment from the mother shows the issues are more at home. When it comes to education, you get what you put in. If you're invested and care (ie your family instills the value of learning) then you get something out of it. If its just day care for x hours or if learning is stigmatized, then you wont get shit. Ive been a cop for nearly 10 years and spent nearly 5 years before that working with trouble kids in residential treatment and then juvenile hall. YOu can see where the problems came from when you meet the parents. Hell, most of the kids in the hall were just kids and acted good 99% of time once they were away from their bad influences at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    this is just vague nonsense. be a bit more specific. why does getting an engineering degree make you a beter paren?
    I really don't know what else more you want...education is only part of it but are you disagree that a better educated parent wouldn't think that elementary schools are there to teach children to talk and their abcs at fucking 5-6 years old.

I really don't know what else more you want...education is only part of it but are you disagree that a better educated parent wouldn't think that elementary schools are there to teach children to talk and their abcs at fucking 5-6 years old.
    how about... explaining it?

am i the only one not seeing his explanation? "broader horizons" or something like that doesn't explain anything.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Honestly, I don't know if teachers are the problem but parents/family. If anything you comment from the mother shows the issues are more at home. When it comes to education, you get what you put in. If you're invested and care (ie your family instills the value of learning) then you get something out of it. If its just day care for x hours or if learning is stigmatized, then you wont get shit. Ive been a cop for nearly 10 years and spent nearly 5 years before that working with trouble kids in residential treatment and then juvenile hall. YOu can see where the problems came from when you meet the parents. Hell, most of the kids in the hall were just kids and acted good 99% of time once they were away from their bad influences at home.
    The general resources available in poor urban districts are totally insufficient for teaching. And generally states love misappropriating federal funds to where they're not needed. Decently equipped schools nowadays have a few computers in every classroom at the very least, video screens, lab equipment for every student. You have brand new textbooks (a copy for each student in the classroom, plus one for each student to take home). There's after school resources, a robust club and extra-ed program, and a good teacher to student ratio.

Poor urban districts have double the ratio of students to teachers (40+ per teacher). There's generally no lab equipment, no computers. If there is lab equipment, a lot of it's broken, and it's a few pieces per classroom. Textbooks were bought in the 1970s, and there's usually only one per 2-3 students. A lot of them are missing pages, and the students are not allowed to take them home. There's generally no after school programs. Also, the roofs leak, so the hallways are lined with trash barrels just to catch water seeping through the ceilings.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    The general resources available in poor urban districts are totally insufficient for teaching. And generally states love misappropriating federal funds to where they're not needed. Decently equipped schools nowadays have a few computers in every classroom at the very least, video screens, lab equipment for every student. You have brand new textbooks (a copy for each student in the classroom, plus one for each student to take home). There's after school resources, a robust club and extra-ed program, and a good teacher to student ratio.

Poor urban districts have double the ratio of students to teachers (40+ per teacher). There's generally no lab equipment, no computers. If there is lab equipment, a lot of it's broken, and it's a few pieces per classroom. Textbooks were bought in the 1970s, and there's usually only one per 2-3 students. A lot of them are missing pages, and the students are not allowed to take them home. There's generally no after school programs. Also, the roofs leak, so the hallways are lined with trash barrels just to catch water seeping through the ceilings.
    Actually at my wife's school they are well supplied in that department, the library media center is fairly new, there's not only computers for every student in an average class there are also ipads. Despite all this they are one of the lowest performing school in the county and most of it's due to Parent's not giving a shit. This is why I think a better teacher the student ratio would help, because kids are not getting taught at home so teachers need more 1 on 1 time. The sad thing is the City is trying to up it right now and the union is fighting it.

- - - Updated - - -

it essentially begins with firstly better education so when those children grow up they're better parents than those in your scenario.

There needs to be targeted help in those areas, besides schools there needs to actually be opportunity so you have better capable parents who are raising these children.

This issue isn't corrected overnight it's one that takes generations to correct.
    I can say for once we are in an agreement.

am i the only one not seeing his explanation? "broader horizons" or something like that doesn't explain anything.
    There is none. It's empty garbage. Not to mention really stupid when his argument is "Black parents are terrible because they don't go to college". Which says a lot about the people that actually value education and pass that ideal onto kids without going to college themselves. And that he thinks a lack of college is the cause of not valuing education. Not the blatant anti-education stance within parts of the black community that has been here since the 90s.

Actually at my wife's school they are well supplied in that department, the library media center is fairly new, there's not only computers for every student in an average class there are also ipads. Despite all this they are one of the lowest performing school in the county and most of it's due to Parent's not giving a shit. This is why I think a better teacher the student ratio would help, because kids are not getting taught at home so teachers need more 1 on 1 time. The sad thing is the City is trying to up it right now and the union is fighting it.

- - - Updated - - -

I can say for once we are in an agreement.
    I would say that's unusual, from what I've seen. A library media center is pretty much unheard of at a lot of the districts I've been exposed to. I would think there's some other problem at school though. You should still be able to get good performance, even if the majority of your students are latchkey kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I would say that's unusual, from what I've seen. A library media center is pretty much unheard of at a lot of the districts I've been exposed to. I would think there's some other problem at school though. You should still be able to get good performance, even if the majority of your students are latchkey kids.
    The city pretty much spreads with wealth when it comes to school funding, they even go so far to bus kids an hour away in the name of diversity.

Serious honest question here. What do you think needs to be done to fix poverty in poor urban areas?

I personally think we need a better student to teacher ratio, a lot of these kids are growing up with out family support and schools can only do so much.

Here is an example, my wife teachers on a poor urban area school. A kid just starting school, didn't know his numbers, didn't know any of his alphabet, and could barley talk. When the school asked the mother about this she said "I thought that's what school was for".
    The reality is that the US spends more money on it's students then almost all of the world, if I remember correctly it's in the top 3. One of the biggest contributors to poverty at this point is parents having kids when they cannot financially afford them.

Good teachers help, but if a kid lacks proper parenting, that is a disadvantage that schools alone can't fix. There's a lot of problems in poor urban areas obviously, but finding ways to reduce crime is a big one too. Jobs are another. They are all intertwined as well, high crime rates means few jobs, and the ones that are around are likely low paying.

IMO though the welfare system is putting people in a sense of complacency where they aren't struggling to better their lives, not only that but many people are having kids without putting much thought into whether or not they can actually take care of them. That doesn't mean to get rid of welfare either, but it does need to be reexamined.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    The reality is that the US spends more money on it's students then almost all of the world, if I remember correctly it's in the top 3. One of the biggest contributors to poverty at this point is parents having kids when they cannot financially afford them.

Good teachers help, but if a kid lacks proper parenting, that is a disadvantage that schools alone can't fix. There's a lot of problems in poor urban areas obviously, but finding ways to reduce crime is a big one too. Jobs are another. They are all intertwined as well, high crime rates means few jobs, and the ones that are around are likely low paying.

IMO though the welfare system is putting people in a sense of complacency where they aren't struggling to better their lives, not only that but many people are having kids without putting much thought into whether or not they can actually take care of them. That doesn't mean to get rid of welfare either, but it does need to be reexamined.
    Schools often misappropriate funds though... like ridicuoulsly.

There isn't one. He's just spouting random "higher education makes you a better/more intelligent person" babble.

Schools often misappropriate funds though... like ridicuoulsly.
    Which would be curbed if the federal government pressed criminal charges against those that misappropriate funds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post

Well we spend more money on schools than anyone to try to incentivize people that simply aren't interested in school in the first place. Attendance and passing tests is the requirement you must meet to continue federal funding and nobody getting fired. If we stopped coddling the ones that don't want to go and let them go to prison instead then we'd spend less money on education and would have a better functioning school system.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-08-18 at 03:34 AM.

Majority of your post was boderline, this foolish comment pushed you over that edge.

The reason black Americans are so poor is becuase of their history in this country, so saying "thank white people" is fucking stupid because they've spent generations being poor because of the jim crow era.
    so you're saying they would have been better off in Africa? I mean name one place black culture thrives and I'm not trying to be racist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    so you're saying they would have been better off in Africa? I mean name one place black culture thrives and I'm not trying to be racist.
    This post is a joke right?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Beside your own bias OP, I think that when you spew on the medias that Afro-Americans are being treated as second-grade citizens, you tend to make them enter survival mode even if it wasn't justified in the first place.
    Unless black people stand up and accept their social/cultural issues. Nothing will ever change for them.

They get mad if one black man is killed for doing nothing, then they should blame the thousands of black men to are guilty of doing things. Not the police.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    This post is a joke right?
    I can't speak for the OP, but go ahead and find one African country/people that has accomplished 1/4 of the historical events/changes European/Asian/Indian..etc have.

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    Oh yeah there have never been any great civilizations in Africa ever in the history of the whole continent. Also you can't look at present day Africa and say "well look at it now" especially when the way the continent is now is largely due to exploitation by Europeans.

Oh yeah there have never been any great civilizations in Africa ever in the history of the whole continent. Also you can't look at present day Africa and say "well look at it now" especially when the way the continent is now is largely due to exploitation by Europeans.
    Didn't they exploit their own community long before Europeans came along? Also once the Europeans came along, didn't they basically help them exploit their own communities?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Didn't they exploit their own community long before Europeans came along? Also once the Europeans came along, didn't they basically help them exploit their own communities?
    Would you consider a german selling Italian slaves to be "exploiting their own community" if not why in the world would you consider one set of Africans of a completely different ethnicity, selling another entirely different group to be "their own community" ?

This is like saying when France and England went to war it was a civil matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    There is none. It's empty garbage. Not to mention really stupid when his argument is "Black parents are terrible because they don't go to college". Which says a lot about the people that actually value education and pass that ideal onto kids without going to college themselves. And that he thinks a lack of college is the cause of not valuing education. Not the blatant anti-education stance within parts of the black community that has been here since the 90s.
    What? Stop making shit up. If you used your brain, you would understand what themius said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.