Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror

Thugs who beat and blinded gay black man are handed just 150 hours community service

Words fail me. The light sentence. The orthodox patrol group, the homophobia. The demand to do their sentence in a less diverse neighbourhood. And they're getting away with it. All equal under the law? Doesn't look like it. Wheres the ADL or Splc with this one?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ocial-facebook

Two Hasidic men who admitted to brutally
    beating a gay black man until he was blinded in one eye were sentenced to just 150 hours of community service – but are trying to get out of doing it in a ‘culturally diverse’ neighborhood.

Fashion student Taj Patterson was left permanently blind in his right eye after being beaten by a group of Hasidic men as he walked down the street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, in December 2013.

Pinchas Braver, 22, and Abraham Winkler, 42, who were part of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish patrol group, were charged with gang hate crime and facing up to 25 years in prison, the New York Post reported.

But instead, they pleaded guilty to unlawful imprisonment in a plea deal that meant they avoided jail in exchange for three years of probation, paying $1,400 restitution and performing the 150 hours of community service in a ‘culturally diverse’ placement.

Two others had their cases dropped, but Mayer Herkovic, will go on trial next week.

But the men told the court last week that they wanted to do the community service at Chai Lifeline, a group that works with Jewish children with life-threatening illness.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Words fail me. The light sentence. The orthodox patrol group, the homophobia. The demand to do their sentence in a less diverse neighbourhood. And they're getting away with it. All equal under the law? Doesn't look like it. Wheres the ADL or Splc with this one?
    The biggest thing here is that the prosecutor or the judge(in not sure who it is) agreed to take a plea for a 25 year sentence case that brought it down to probation.
    Last edited by provaporous; 2016-08-18 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe folks need to learn to get along with each other instead of playing knockout games then revenge for those... Maybe someone needs to break the cycle of violence.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Maybe folks need to learn to get along with each other instead of playing knockout games then revenge for those.
    Wut?

10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe folks need to learn to get along with each other instead of playing knockout games then revenge for those... Maybe someone needs to break the cycle of violence.

Nice bit of victim blaming. Blinded young gay man walking home through their neighbourhood bothering no one. Attacked by an orthodox patrol for being gay. Where are you getting knock out game from you racist.

Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post
    The biggest thing here is that the prosecutor or the judge(in not sure who it is) agreed to take a plea for a 25 year sentence case that brought it down to probation.
    It would have to be both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice bit of victim blaming. Blinded young gay man walking home through their neighbourhood bothering no one. Attacked by an orthodox patrol for being gay. Where are you getting knock out game from you racist.
    Where the FUCK did I victim blame? No, seriously, point it out. Perhaps I was too kind and fucking polite... so I'll spell it out...

Blacks beat up Jews, Jews get pissed, Jews beat up blacks, Blacks get pissed, Cycle repeats... SOMEONE NEEDS TO BREAK THE FUCKING CYCLE OF VIOLENCE... how is that for spelling it out... what happened to this guy was FUCKING TRAGIC. And calling me racist for pointing out the facts, well, that has earned you special status and attention.

Is anything I said too difficult for you or Wells to grasp? If so, please let me know I'll attempt to explain it again.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You bring up the knockout game, totally irrelevant to the story. You talk about the need to get along. As if it's the victims fault. That's victim blaming. What part of that don't you understand. Nice attitude btw.

You bring up the knockout game, totally irrelevant to the story. You talk about the need to get along. As if it's the victims fault. That's victim blaming. What part of that don't you understand. Nice attitude btw.
    He's referring to the long history of communal violence between blacks and Hasidic Jews in NYC. I took it to be a statement on how cyclical it is and that both communities just harm themselves by doing so.

Yeah the "knock out game" reference is what was weird to me too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    He's referring to the long history of communal violence between blacks and Hasidic Jews in NYC. I took it to be a statement on how cyclical it is and that both communities just harm themselves by doing so.
    Thank you... someone that finally gets it... Seems folks want to look at one incident and not the big picture... and they they act hurt and confused when someone looks at the big picture.

- - - Updated - - -

sure... its 'irrelevant' if you want to be myopic and look at a single incident... Try opening your eyes and check the big picture... YOU earned that attitude with your accusation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah the "knock out game" reference is what was weird to me too.
    Eyes open, might learn something Sir.

I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen in the UK.

I guess over here if it happened, they would've been let go without any punishment.

When you look a guy in the face and he shouts at you "I only did it because its what I was taught" you don't go "ahhh okay, thats alright then, i'm not some BIGOT am I?

Why is Lady Justice blind? Because she has to be. She doesn't care what book you think is the best. She doesn't care if you believe in God, Thor, Zeus, John Cena or no god. Your ACTIONS are your own. Everyone has autonomy. Two people beat a man so badly that he is now blind in one eye as a hate attack.

Fucking ridiculous, really.

I'm not a fan of lgbt people, but he should of gotten atleast 6 months community service.

Just because a bunch of orthodox jews beat up a gay black man, does not mean that there was hate involved.

It's an easy charge to press, though.

Eyes open, might learn something Sir.
    I did in fact ask for clarification...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    Just because a bunch of orthodox jews beat up a gay black man, does not mean that there was hate involved.

It's an easy charge to press, though.
    Where's the outrage over sharia law in the US? Next they will be telling women to cover up... and walk on the other side of town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I did in fact ask for clarification...
    That you did... and I hope that that clarification was received, understood and made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Where's the outrage over sharia law in the US? Next they will be telling women to cover up... and walk on the other side of town.
    What does Sharia Law have to do with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Careful, that guy with the red card might give you one.

Some good attorneys they had.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.