Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Warcraft 4 is looking more likely

In 7.1 They've made it clear they want to take their time before releasing new expansions for WoW in future, which suggests that wow will have plenty of content between now and 2 years before the next expansion launches.

Frankly, I feel this was a step in the right direction but it begs the question, what next meanwhile for the Warcraft franchise?

Well they released a movie recently, and finished SC2's main campaigns with only Nova Ops left to finish.

Conclusion:

Warcraft 4 is looking increasingly plausable.

Hear me out as to how this could and probably -will- work:

WC4 will probably take place as a seperate conflict with an expedition by the alliance/horde to a completley new world, thats my theory, probably set years in WoW's future.

We know the Void Lords are a thing now and I -doubt- we will fight them in WoW's timeline especially given the comics, which makes me conclude, they will be a playable faction in Warcraft 4.

My theory is this:

WC4 will have 4 playable factions, like WC3 did, only this time it will not be humans/orcs/nightelves/scourge.

It will be:

Alliance, Horde, Legion and The Void.

Legion may actually end up being a redeemed villian faction in WC4, given the anti-villian storylines were getting from the Legions motivations lately, possibly helping the heroes and even becomming a heroic faction itself, with the demons being driven to wipe out the darkness, no matter what.

This would give rise to new characters, new villians, new potential threats beyond on this new unknown world to colonise and occupy.

The Campaign could potentially work in a -similar- manner to that of SC2, but with more perspective shifting rather than a single linear faction per campaign vibe. Possibly being a 3-4 story episodic campaign with multiple expansions adding new story perspectives.

Gameplay, I dont really know, im mostly focusing on the lore side of things and where blizzard -could- go if they make a WC4, which I believe tbh, they probably will if only to continue making RTS games.

I suspect if SC has a future, it will be in the form of 3rd person RPG/FPS or adventure games like monkey island (or tales from the borderlands).

And given that we know their RTS team is "fully commited to StarCraft" with content planned through 2017, which Blizzard team is going to be developing it? Hearthstone?

How does any of what they said point to Warcraft 4 being more plausible?

If anything what they said is that they're going to be putting more work into WoW content than they have previously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    And given that we know their RTS team is "fully commited to StarCraft" with content planned through 2017, which Blizzard team is going to be developing it? Hearthstone?
    They are definitely working on something else though. It doesn't take a whole 80+ team to make the things they are making for SC2 now. Id say they left about 10-30 people on SC2 and have 50-100 people working on another RTS, or at least some kind of strategy game.

"One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact." ~ Mark Twain

You've just conjectured a future business strategy for a multi-billion dollar company from a tiny factoid in one sentence on a somewhat related matter from a single employee. There's a chance you're right, it's small but nevertheless there's a definite, non-zero chance you are 100% correct. But I won't hold my breath.

Deleted
    if you ask me the starcraft 2 team isnt finished by a long shot. nova ops won't be the last mission pack they do, and a part of them are probably working on the rumored remaster of starcraft1/warcraft1/2/3.

so i doubt warcraft 4 is in anything more then the planning stages. at best the engineering team is working on upgrading the starcraft engine for future projects.

i'd say we have another good 2-3 wow expansions (including legion) before we have any real shot at war4 timewise.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-08-18 at 08:17 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    i don't see the part where it looks like WC4 is more than just a Project in their Mind .. interesting how some guys come to conclusions with little to no evidence

Most of the "WC3" fanbase plays SC2. All I did all day was play Warcraft 3, but not for the story, not for the game, but for the custom games - RPGs, Dota, TD's. WoW is nothing like WC3, and Warcraft name or not, it won't be any more popular (and probably even less) than SC2
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

We really don't need another starcraft with a different skin. WoW is their story vehicle for warcraft.

We already got Warcraft 4. It was garrisons in Warlords!
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    We really don't need another starcraft with a different skin. WoW is their story vehicle for warcraft.
    war4 will make them an insane amount of money why wouldn't they make it? Especialy if the wow player trend keeps giong down, war4 in 4-5 years could do wonders to reinvigorate the player count.

Deleted
    I'm all for it...

but what you are saying is making very little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    war4 will make them an insane amount of money why wouldn't they make it? Especialy if the wow player trend keeps giong down, war4 in 4-5 years could do wonders to reinvigorate the player count.
    So would SC3. And with the amount of cross-promotion we already have, it really doesn't matter which franchise gets the newest title.

I'm afraid RTS' time is in the past now, as well as MMORPG's. Of course many people still play them, but today's leaders are F2P semi-casual projects like Hearthstone and HotS, and that is sad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    So would SC3. And with the amount of cross-promotion we already have, it really doesn't matter which franchise gets the newest title.
    all other things being roughly equal, there are a lot more people who would buy war4 primarily for the story, then there are people who would buy sc3 primarily for the story. and a lot of those would then go try or go back to wow because of war4, sc3 doesn't have that gateway effect for anything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    In 7.1 They've made it clear they want to take their time before releasing new expansions for WoW in future, which suggests that wow will have plenty of content between now and 2 years before the next expansion launches.

Frankly, I feel this was a step in the right direction but it begs the question, what next meanwhile for the Warcraft franchise?

Well they released a movie recently, and finished SC2's main campaigns with only Nova Ops left to finish.

Conclusion:

Warcraft 4 is looking increasingly plausable.
    This makes litterally zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    I'm afraid RTS' time is in the past now, as well as MMORPG's. Of course many people still play them, but today's leaders are F2P semi-casual projects like Hearthstone and HotS, and that is sad.
    In the US and EU, maybe, but they still have a massive market in Asia to feed. Overwatch will take some of that, but a SC3 release is a no-brainer in Asia.

Gotta remember, Blizzard thinks globally now, the US markets won't influence them as much as in the past.

1. Blizzard mangled the lore beyond salvaging. Partially to fit the temepark mmo model (no kael you dont hate the deamons you are the deamons now go be a raid boss) and partially because metzen is a hack (orclords of orcnor the orcaning this time its orconal).

2. Mobas killed the rts genre because playing with friends is fun and not needing 200apm to play is also fun

3. Wow made more money then WC4 ever would and there no point trying to split the playerbase like that.

2/4/2015
    Login to rate REPLY QUOTE

Diablo 4 is more likely

I'd rather see Warcraft 4 take place between Warcraft 3 and WoW, where it explains certain things like how the night elves joined the Alliance and the Forsaken joined the Horde. The age of RTS is long over though, I'd be surprised if they ever made a new RTS after SC2.