Thread: DDoS at Launch

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    It is to ignorant people who believe what some kiddie posts on their twitter account
    Actually it was both during WoD launch. On top of the unexpected numbers logging in as well as massive issues with garrison phasing, yes they were DDOS'd and it was actually the prime reason for issues persisting so long.

We've also had numerous DDOS attacks over the past year, leading to massive stability issues at times.

Ironically, the ignorance here lies with posters like you that seem to assume that these things never happened and it's all Blizzard's fault somehow.

I am not really worried by DDoS, but I am more worried about american players massively logging on EU servers to try to ruin our start since it will come live 9 hours earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nethershock View Post
    Is anyone else expecting the Legion launch to be marred by another DDoS attack? The last couple of expansions have been almost unplayable due to DDoS attacks.
    there has never been a DDoS on launch day. The servers are overflowing because too many people try to play at the same time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Well EU launch is 29th 4PM west time(idk US timezones)
    Not its not its the 30th at 0:00 ServerTime

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Not its not its the 30th at 0:00 ServerTime
    Yes, at midnight EU server time, which is 4PM US server time

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Authentication servers will probably get attacked. Anything in game is probably just congestion.
    Well I have the feeling those are the weakest link, so why attack anything else? The times when even the bnet app had login queues out of nowhere but games were running OK...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Of course you can, it's just prohibitively expensive in both technical resources and money to have such extreme safeguards in place for something that 'might' happen. DDoS attacks are just a network of computers or 'botnet' being hijacked to flood Blizzard's servers with requests for junk information, you can identify such an attack and filter out the requests, but the tech to do so is so prohibitively expensive and difficult to implement it's just not worth it.
    Even with the technology you need someone on standby ready to make changes to the filters as the attacks happen. That's why connectivity issues happen for 30 minutes or so as Blizzard reacts.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Now as for DDOS, I hope blizzard has learned something from all the DDOS over the last 2 months and upped their security to tell the difference between actual people connecting and attacks.
    No doubt they will have learn but DDOS is a hard thing to mitigate

15+ Year Old Account
    On WOD's launch date there were attacks on multiple countries throughout the world. http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#ani...16387&view=map
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Yeah, "DDoS attack"

I am expecting poddle corp or some other animal named group of cunts to do it.

Blizzard have stress-tested the servers in terms of capacity, however even if the servers aren't shitting themselves trying to handle the influx of logins someone else is gonna disrupt it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nethershock View Post
    Is anyone else expecting the Legion launch to be marred by another DDoS attack? The last couple of expansions have been almost unplayable due to DDoS attacks.
    No ddos attacks are needed as blizz will just fuck up everything themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    there has never been a DDoS on launch day. The servers are overflowing because too many people try to play at the same time.
    Wrong wrong wrong.....launch day of WoD did have DDoS attacked...Blizzard even stated as much and gave everyone effected by it and crashing of realms....credit of 5 days sub fees.

Camp A: WoD launch sucked cause Blizz servers weren't configured to handle the 10 million people that were trying to play!

Camp B: WoD launch sucked cause Blizz servers were getting DDosd!

Guess what: You're both right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Servos View Post
    Camp A: WoD launch sucked cause Blizz servers weren't configured to handle the 10 million people that were trying to play!

Camp B: WoD launch sucked cause Blizz servers were getting DDosd!

Guess what: You're both right!!!
    High load days (launch) are the best days for DDoS attacks, since the servers are already stressed. Camel, straw, broken back.

A DDoS would be wasted on release day. There are already so many people who'll be logging in all at once that the servers will crash anyway.

I predict it will be a good 36 hours from the time of launch before people are able to connect with any measure of stability. And perhaps a week before some of the more populated servers are without long queues.
    ~RAWR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    *shrug* Even if WoW is DDoSed by basement dwelling incest babies, I have other games I can play that doesn't require battle.net
    I remember my guild mates raging over TeamSpeak about how they can't play the game they are paying for. I tried to tell them to calm down and go sleep, go for a run or anything you want. The game will be there a day or two later waiting for them. I actually have a cruise booked for 3 days on Legion launch. I might (or might not) keep an eye out of how the launch goes, but I don't really care. Realm first 100 doesn't interest me. Raids open like 4 weeks after launch so that's not a problem either.

About the DDoS, there will be attacks. The scale of these attacks are still unknown, but I bet it's big. That + large number of legitimate players trying to log in can't end up well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping we can play normally this time, but hey, you never know!
    Thank the light i got my backup plan for that day!
    Last edited by Huntaer; 2016-08-19 at 12:54 PM.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    A DDoS would be wasted on release day. There are already so many people who'll be logging in all at once that the servers will crash anyway.

I predict it will be a good 36 hours from the time of launch before people are able to connect with any measure of stability. And perhaps a week before some of the more populated servers are without long queues.
    I remember EU WotLK, Cata and MoP launches and those were just fine on my realm, wotlk I was out doing midnight buy and got home back at 1.30 AM, everything was working great, Cata was great since the first minute, aside from clicking on the quest giver and I was going vashjir first, so it was almost empty anyway, MoP was pretty good from the getgo, too, until we tried to join dungeon and then were stuck on loading screen for 90 minutes, but world was working great, WoD is really the only one, that was basically unplayable for 4 days.

If subs arent going to skyrocket to 10mil again and we wont have garrison with massive phasing straining the servers right at the start, I dont think it will be that tragic of a launch. And Im saying that as someone, who hasnt been playing wow for almost two years and who absolutely hates, how Blizzard handles xpac releases of their other games.

Thankfully, if my midnight plan falls apart, I can always go on a night walk and catch some pokemon...

They just DDoS EU again ..... http://imgur.com/wiSv2Mo

be sure they will do it on launch too