Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There is one thing that confuses me. When I went to community college Computer Science was programming, networking was it's own separate program.

Are you in that mandatory computer class that starts with "This is what a computer is!" or are you in a class where you are actually learning about networking in depth? Because some of the concepts you've seen people mention here may not be useful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    When two computers love each other very much that is called a Network.
    And then they start opening ports, and......erm.....actually, I better not, there might be children around.

7+ Year Old Account
    OP if you don't have a book, I found one that explains the basics.

http://www.freelibros.org/redes/comu...stallings.html

It's in spanish though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post

Network and Communications is a wide topic dealing with all the technical details, theories, math and history involved in getting computers to talk together. It's a huge topic, with text books covering 500+ pages. It's not so simple a topic to condense into a forum post. if it was, it wouldn't be a class.

When I had a CS class at my university 15 years ago on this topic, the textbook was Andrew Tanenbaum's awesome texbook called "Computer Networks". You might be able to find a PDF on that by googling. Professor Tanenbaum is a great and fun-to-read writer, so this book is both educational and covers what I assume is your curriculum. If you're a quick reader and has good memory, you might be able to get through the book in time. Nonetheless, unless you know what kind of assignments you are going to get - you are going to fail. Sorry.
    thank you, Danner, for the neat overview and the book recommendation! I will look into it.
    the exam is only about the VERY basics of what you listed. so if I have a little knowledge of each pillar in this huge area, I think I should be fine. thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post

Are you in that mandatory computer class that starts with "This is what a computer is!" or are you in a class where you are actually learning about networking in depth?
    it's more like a "This is what a computer is!" kind of course. next semester it will go more in depth!

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    it's more like a "This is what a computer is!" kind of course. next semester it will go more in depth!
    In that case while I would like to say the test is likely to be common sense if you've used a computer and set up a router if it's anything like the class I had to take it had a lot of "history" questions to introduce people to computers. If so you're probably screwed for missing the class because it's hard to tell what the teacher will be aiming for. Do you have a syllabus or something to give you an indication of what would be covered each class?

Deleted
    Do you have a syllabus or something to give you an indication of what would be covered each class?
    unfortunately, I don't. that's why I came here because all I know is that there will be basic questions about "Networks and Communication".

Deleted
    thank you, Danner, for the neat overview and the book recommendation! I will look into it.
    the exam is only about the VERY basics of what you listed. so if I have a little knowledge of each pillar in this huge area, I think I should be fine. thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't bother with that book, it was already in use 15 years ago and networking is fastest progressing topic in whole modern computer science most everything in it at this point is deprecated. In my course the teacher said that if we answer to his question with things that were current 5 years ago even if correct he will not accept it. Another thing he said, and was right, that using google for learning about networks is rather poor way of doing so, most data there is either outdated incorrect or both and it takes some knowledge to separate worthwhile info from trash. Your best bet is use materials presented by the teacher, exams from previous years and your friends notes. Actually your best bet would have been listening to the lectures but that ship have sailed. gl

"VERY basics" (as in a one-evening training course level) includes:
    - The server/client network model
    - Asynchronous vs synchronous communication
    - IP addresses and packets, switches and routing.
    - Communication protocols (TCP (maybe QoS), HTTP, <some other protocol>)
    - Half-duplex, full-duplex, ADSL,
    - Possibly the OSI model, at some superficial level, talking about different physical transmission channels.

"VERY basics" also don't really have exams...

Tanenbaum can tell you about all these. As can Wikipedia, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Don't bother with that book, it was already in use 15 years ago and networking is fastest progressing topic in whole modern computer science most everything in it at this point is deprecated. In my course the teacher said that if we answer to his question with things that were current 5 years ago even if correct he will not accept it. Another thing he said, and was right, that using google for learning about networks is rather poor way of doing so, most data there is either outdated incorrect or both and it takes some knowledge to separate worthwhile info from trash. Your best bet is use materials presented by the teacher, exams from previous years and your friends notes. Actually your best bet would have been listening to the lectures but that ship have sailed. gl
    Not entirely dismissing your point, but allow me to disagree to some degree.

It's not moving that fast. We're still using IPv4.

Anyway, the book I mentioned was updated for a 5th edition in 2013. Not terribly outdated.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Lets be honest here, I don't know how schools run outside of the US but if he is in the US he can't be past two weeks of the current semester. He's admitting to basically having not shown up to any class so far by the content of his question and the timing of it as well.

Probably easier to ask us than explain his absences to the person he pays to tell him the things he is (poorly) asking us.
    Well, college is not for everyone. Someone has to work at McDonalds, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Well, college is not for everyone. Someone has to work at McDonalds, right?
    Those are still college graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Those are still college graduates.
    They are? Why would you spend all that money on education if you end up at McDonalds?

It was a joke though. Education is really important. The OP should get his ass to school and start working. It's the most important years of his life.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    sup fellow champs,

I have an exam coming up in computer science, but I've missed some classes. one part of the exam will be about "Networks and Communication". if anyone could give me a quick rundown on what the basics of "Networks and Communication" are, I would be very grateful!

cheers!

(I tried googeling to no avail)
    Need to work on your google-fu:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_network

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/data_c...puter_network/

If this is a pure computer science class, I wouldn't expect that they'll dig into the OSI model. If it is an engineering computer science class, you should be familiar with the OSI model as well - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

10+ Year Old Account
    If it comes back with fish, or in some cases butterflies, your net works.

Communication is very important to net working. If it works, you need to tell your friends.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

sup fellow champs,

I have an exam coming up in computer science, but I've missed some classes. one part of the exam will be about "Networks and Communication". if anyone could give me a quick rundown on what the basics of "Networks and Communication" are, I would be very grateful!

cheers!

(I tried googeling to no avail)
    What part were you unable to Google? "networks and communication basics" has 25.9 million results via Google. I've been employed in the computer networking field for thirteen years and basics can mean a myriad of things depending on course. I'll echo the OSI model is useful and a great place to start, but it's not the only networking model so maybe they want you to understand the four layers of the TCP/IP model too.
    Maybe they want you to understand the difference between cat5 and coax cables.
    Maybe you'll be tested on the different classes of IP Addresses (Class A, Class B, Class C, etc.)
    Maybe you'll have to understand the difference between Classful and Classless routing and have to assign an IP address with a VLSM.
    Maybe you'll need to know some of the common routing protocols (OSPF/ISIS/EIGRP/RIP/BGP), maybe not how they're used, but maybe identify them by name.
    Maybe you'll be questioned on common computer ports and have to know that smtp uses port 25 or ssh is 22.
    Maybe you'll just be asked what the difference is between a hub, a switch, and a router.

If you have literally no idea about the questions then the safe bet is you are fucked. Computer Networking is a very large field and their are numerous certifications possible within it. It would be incredibly easy to have a test on just the OSI model and fuck you completely over.

I've read mmoc over many years but this post is the one that made me want to create an account.

7+ Year Old Account
    You're screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was watching Eli the Computer guy on Windows Server 2012 and his video does explain networking in terms of Active Directory. Networking has a lot of stuff to cover from topologies to the types of wires used in a network. Got an idea on what you missed?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odobisean View Post
    Just research the layers of OSI and you should be fine if it is an introductory CS course.
    That there. If it's not an entire course, you're likely just getting a large overview of things like layers, data rates, basic understanding of stuff.
    You should hopefully have some sort of outline. Take this advice:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Go ask your instructor or your fellow students.
    Unless your instructor is different from what I experienced with professors, they probably won't hold it against you that you're trying to catch up with topics. Generally they like that.

Anyway, if you can figure out what you missed, you can find pretty much anything you need to know online. I like this site for networking:
    http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/

But you can find almost anything you need on any topic here:
    https://github.com/vhf/free-programm...mming-books.md

If you're going all the way through to a CS degree, that link is amazing.

God my networking is rusty, and was never indepth.

TCP/IP communication- 3 way handshake, computer contacts other computer to see if it is online (1), computer acknowledges request (2), acknowledgement is returned, and TCP connection is formed (3). Packets transferred from computer to computer through various means, routers and switches etc. Computers are identified by their IP address, typically assigned by the router. IPv4 uses 4 octets, so a 32 bit number, IPv6 uses 128 bit addressing. ARP maps MAC addresses to IP addresses, allowing for dynamic IP assignment, even if the IP changes, we can still workout which computer the message has to be sent to. Packets have various pieces of information, such as the source IP (sender), destination IP, ttl (time to live).

For indepth on the layers, I'd need to go back to my textbooks. youtube is good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

I mean I'm in EE and know at least the basics, you might have picked the wrong field if you have to ask that question in all honesty. Besides while the topic at first glance might look trivial (and it pretty much is if you've grown up with PCs and communication technology depending on the course level), chances are your prof will come up with some convoluted exam that will require to know every little detail he deems important to validate his course. That is unless he actually dips into security stuff with more that your toes, then good luck passing without knowing what he wants you to know, because almost no course can cover all of it.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...rks-fall-2002/

a bit old, but could help.

Also check udacity and coursera and perhaps Khan Academy.