Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Glasgow rangers aka the other team in Glasgow often do fly Israeli flags as does the edl and Britain first. There is a tradition of Israeli funding for nationalist right wing groups.
    I've been to Ibrox many times and seen many flags; the Union flag, the saltire (rarely seen at Celtic Park), the Dutch and even an American flag at one point but I've never seen an Israeli flag.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    I've been to Ibrox many times and seen many flags; the Union flag, the saltire (rarely seen at Celtic Park), the Dutch and even an American flag at one point but I've never seen an Israeli flag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post

Well there you go, an Israeli flag and a defaced saltire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    They have been supporting Catholic Ireland since forever.
    Their song goes "up the ra" at some stage even.

- - - Updated - - -

Erm.... what's msm?

msm stands for main stream media i think!

Better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post

Better?
    Slightly, that fluorescent yellow and black scarf reminds me of that horrible manky Celtic top from years ago

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Considering it's Champions League that'll probably be the least racist thing happening at the match
    How is it racist?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    So FC Barcelona fans are not allowed to fly the catalonian independence flag for political reasons but this is allowed?
    Its not, the club was fined for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    It's an Irish immigrant team. Historically.

Like the Boston Celtics.

Just because something isn't in Ireland, it doesn't mean it can't have Irish cultural ties.
    I didn't realise that, it surprised me that an Irish-based team would identify themselves as "Celtic" in another Celtic country.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    "Celtic" is a reference to the pre-Roman culture (the Keltois or Celts) of the large majority of Europe, from the Iberian Peninsula to the Minor Asia. Just one example, the Calli or the Gauls.
    In modern times the Celtic nations are countries of provinces that have a Celtic language used in the modern times, namely Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Cornwall (an English county,) the Isle of Man (a British Crown Dependency) and Brittany (a French region.)

Slightly, that fluorescent yellow and black scarf reminds me of that horrible manky Celtic top from years ago
    Yeah it was rank, although not as bad as the cursed strip or their new third strip (which they'll hopefully never have to use).

Deleted
    This is the club that sings songs and chants supporting the IRA from the terraces every Saturday. They have a long tradition of supporting terrorism but the police in Scotland are entirely impotent to do anything about it.
    The IRA were not terrorists. The provos, on the other hand...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    In modern times the Celtic nations are countries of provinces that have a Celtic language used in the modern times, namely Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Cornwall (an English county,) the Isle of Man (a British Crown Dependency) and Brittany (a French region.)
    Those are the remnants of the Celtic civilization, yes, but not all the remnants of the identity.

An example: Celta de Vigo (Spanish Galician football club).

Quote Originally Posted by murosfw View Post
    The IRA were not terrorists. The provos, on the other hand...
    Well, they were. They blew up children. They didn't begin as such, but maniacs and gangsters turned them into terrorists.

Also, yea, Celtic may be Scottish, but you will see more tricolours than saltires being flown, it has a strong Irish identity and affinity.

I remember an old firm game where Celtic fans had Palestinian flags and Rangers had Israeli flags.

Also, Celtic are shit, mon the Gers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was young and had no sense, I bought a flute for 50 pence, the only tune that I could play, was fuck the Pope and the IRA.

Rangers and Arsenal traditionally had a strong bond for over a century, Rangers even saved the club from extinction, so it is inbuilt in me to hate whatever Celtic do.

Deleted
    Talking out your ass.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not defaced, it's an upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Well, they were. They blew up children. They didn't begin as such, but maniacs and gangsters turned them into terrorists.
    It is a semantics argument, the original IRA were the ones who fought for independence, the Provisional IRA are the terrorist organisation - however they are commonly referred to as just the IRA, so it is not a very convincing semantic argument.

If in these matches its allowed to use politics and use flags then who gives a shit -let them use whatever flag they want. If its not allowed then they should be punished/finned like any other team that would do it. Why is this news worthy again?

If this thread meant to show the solidarity of Scottland with palestinians then I think its well known already. Together with Sweden, Ireland and Belgium from Europe. Israel already not taking these countries seriously. Last time Sweden minister wanted to make a formal visit to Israel, but was told here that she can take a plane and come but no one will meet her in a formal way like she wanted. I can only hope that when bombing start there and they will ask for Israel anti-terror advise we tell them to fuck off. Who am I kidding though - Belgium's anti-terror group already practicing in Israel. I wish these countries could boycott Israel fully and not pussy out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    The people you are calling "terrorists" are in fact "freedom-fighters", no amount of stabbings is going to change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Holas View Post
    If in these matches its allowed to use politics and use flags then who gives a shit -let them use whatever flag they want. If its not allowed then they should be punished/finned like any other team that would do it. Why is this news worthy again?

If this thread meant to show the solidarity of Scottland with palestinians then I think its well known already. Together with Sweden, Ireland and Belgium from Europe. Israel already not taking these countries seriously. Last time Sweden minister wanted to make a formal visit to Israel, but was told here that she can take a plane and come but no one will meet her in a formal way like she wanted. I can only hope that when bombing start there and they will ask for Israel anti-terror advise we tell them to fuck off. Who am I kidding though - Belgium's anti-terror group already practicing in Israel. I wish these countries could boycott Israel fully and not pussy out.
    I remember that, no wonder since sweden or well the politicians desided to recognise palestine, dont think israel are to happy about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It is a semantics argument, the original IRA were the ones who fought for independence, the Provisional IRA are the terrorist organisation - however they are commonly referred to as just the IRA, so it is not a very convincing semantic argument.
    Semantics and shades of meaning can be vitally important. I don't watch football or support any club, so I had to google for examples of "IRA chants" at Glasgow Celtic matches, and the majority of the songs I found listed clearly referenced the original IRA, not the terrorists (some did, fair enough). I live south of the border, but my mother is from NI, from a nationalist background, and we had members of our family in the both judiciary and the police force, back when both were treated with hostility by the majority of nationalists. I had an uncle (a fireman) who was beaten unconscious by terrorist thugs while dealing with the firebombing of a protestant family's home.
    I also know of protestant business men who were threatened with firebombing of their business premises by Orange Order members if they did not turn out and participate in the disgusting displays of bigotry at Drumcree.

There are bad actors on all sides of any conflict, and the vast majority of people just want to get on with their lives. Semantics are extremely important when you support one side of an argument and have to put up with dickheads taking the same side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by murosfw View Post
    Semantics and shades of meaning can be vitally important. I don't watch football or support any club, so I had to google for examples of "IRA chants" at Glasgow Celtic matches, and the majority of the songs I found listed clearly referenced the original IRA, not the terrorists (some did, fair enough). I live south of the border, but my mother is from NI, from a nationalist background, and we had members of our family in the both judiciary and the police force, back when both were treated with hostility by the majority of nationalists. I had an uncle (a fireman) who was beaten unconscious by terrorist thugs while dealing with the firebombing of a protestant family's home.
    I also know of protestant business men who were threatened with firebombing of their business premises by Orange Order members if they did not turn out and participate in the disgusting displays of bigotry at Drumcree.

There are bad actors on all sides of any conflict, and the vast majority of people just want to get on with their lives. Semantics are extremely important when you support one side of an argument and have to put up with dickheads taking the same side.
    I would expect most of the Rangers chants to refer to the Provisional IRA, not the original IRA, e.g. singing about Bobby Sands. The term IRA is almost exclusively used to refer to the Provisionals in Britain.

Rangers and Celtic fans have a thing for sectarian issues that the rest of Britain stop really caring about centuries ago. Ditto for Norn Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    So FC Barcelona fans are not allowed to fly the catalonian independence flag for political reasons but this is allowed?
    Its not allowed, UEFA is investigating it as UEFA forbids any political or religious stuff on their games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    Glasgow rangers aka the other team in Glasgow often do fly Israeli flags as does the edl and Britain first. There is a tradition of Israeli funding for nationalist right wing groups.
    Same with antisemmitic left wing group often flags the palestinian flag while yelling death to israel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.