Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Need opinions for this 4K build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.69 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($120.66 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($186.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.91 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: AOC U2879VF 28.0" 60Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $1877.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-17 17:42 EDT-0400

In the US.
    PC will be used exclusively for gaming.
    Plan on playing any and all games at 4k, with maxed or near maxed settings.
    I'll be reusing a NZXT Phantom 410 case and the optical drive already installed. Also I'll be reusing an existing SSD as secondary storage.
    The overkill on the PS is there because I plan on buying a second GPU in the winter.
    I don't have a budget per say, but I don't want to go crazy either, so I'm trying to keep it around $2k, but could easily go higher.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2016-08-17 at 09:49 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I don't know anything about the monitor but everything else looks pretty good to me. I think AOC monitors are supposed to be decent.

I wouldn't do 4k yet myself, but I like high FPS and high graphics settings. As it is there are still some games that sit around 60 fps at max settings and 1440p with my GTX 1080. Would be quite a bit less at 4k. Though once you get your second GPU 4k should be easy. I don't plan to get a second GPU any time soon so 1440p it is more me.

One recommendation I can make would be to go with an AIO water cooler. Like an NZXT Kraken x61 or whatever good one will fit in the Phantom 410. Mainly because I like to keep things cool on the inside of the case. You can put the radiator on top pushing air out the top. That is what I have going right now. GPU sits at 65-70c under load and the CPU sits at 50c under load.
    Last edited by Shinzou; 2016-08-17 at 09:58 PM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.69 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.98 @ Directron)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" 60Hz Monitor ($489.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $1905.60
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-17 17:59 EDT-0400

I would change the case aswell, Phantom 410 wont handle SLI well. 650 is not overkill for SLI, it's not enough (unless you're not overclocking, which is very wasteful, then you can stick with 650W).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Where do you come up with stuff dude? I personally would go with a 750w because i like quieter PSU fans but 650 is actually overkill for 1080 sli, by 200 watts:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1195-...sli/page4.html

We aren't in gtx 480 days, try and keep up when giving advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Where do you come up with stuff dude? I personally would go with a 750w because i like quieter PSU fans but 650 is actually overkill for 1080 sli, by 200 watts:

We aren't in gtx 480 days, try and keep up when giving advice.
    Custom PCBs on cards usually means more power draw than stock PCBs. Also overclocking means more power as well, for both CPU and GPU.

Here is example of what custom PCBs can do. These are individual cards, not SLI.

Last edited by Shinzou; 2016-08-17 at 11:43 PM.

And? The chart i linked has two factory oc'd boards from palit showing a max 450w from the wall. Even these power hungry gigabyte cards with everything in the system at max chat were talking ~500w here guys, 650w is more than enough power for any 1080's and a max oc'd 6700k.

I think you may be a bit confused with your chart, that is whole system consumption...

I would advise one of those Pascal titans if you really want a smooth-ish 4k experience, this would also avoid you getting a second card since SLI tends to have more issues then 1 single strong card.

And? The chart i linked has two factory oc'd boards from palit showing a max 450w from the wall. Even these power hungry gigabyte cards with everything in the system at max chat were talking ~500w here guys, 650w is more than enough power for any 1080's and a max oc'd 6700k.

I think you may be a bit confused with your chart, that is whole system consumption...
    I think you are forgetting something. There is more in a system than just GPUs. A 6700k can easily eat up 150w+. Overclocked it can go over 200w.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzou View Post
    I think you are forgetting something. There is more in a system than just GPUs. A 6700k can easily eat up 150w+. Overclocked it can go over 200w.
    You are high as a kite. What are you doing on your PC that would cause a CPU to draw that kind of power at the same time your GPU's are under load? 150w is probably possible under a synthetic CPU load, but what real scenario would that happen while the GPU's are doing that as well?

People on the internet like this kind of argument, even if it would literally never happen in the real world they are "right" lmao. The goal isnt being right here kids, its to suggest the best hardware for appropriate prices.

Ok, so, both the charts you linked ADN the charts he linked were total system draw, not just the GPU, so it's already including the CPU. If you add even another 100W for an hefty OC on the CPU, still under 400W. That's draw from the wall as well, so if we assume 80% efficiency, that means the PSU is actually only supplying 320W of Power. Let's add another 100W, just for the sake of OCing GPU further than the factory clocks and extra fans and HDDs and whatnot. 500W being drawn from the wall. At 80% efficiency that means it's only supplying 400W to the system. So a 400W PSU would be enough to run SLI 1080s, with an OC. Granted, that's not leaving a lot of headroom or space for degradation, so I would not recommend running with a 400W PSU, but a 550W is more than enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are high as a kite. What are you doing on your PC that would cause a CPU to draw that kind of power at the same time your GPU's are under load? 150w is probably possible under a synthetic CPU load, but what real scenario would that happen while the GPU's are doing that as well?

People on the internet like this kind of argument, even if it would literally never happen in the real world they are "right" lmao. The goal isnt being right here kids, its to suggest the best hardware for appropriate prices.
    Well, the OP also stated he's going to be adding a second GPU in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
    Well, the OP also stated he's going to be adding a second GPU in the winter.
    Did you see the total system draw in the chart he linked with OCed SLI 1080s? Here it is again, since you missed it:

Total system draw, from the wall, with SLI 1080s, 451W. That's from the wall, so assuming a 80% efficiency, that PSU is providing 360.8W to the system. With Dual 1080s, 360W is all that is being used by the entire system, in The Witcher 3 which is a pretty demanding game. A 550W PSU leaves you with 190W of headroom in this case. How is that not enough?

I'm really getting sick of this all over these forums, people thinking they need WAY larger PSus than they do. Simple fact is, with each generation, power consumption goes down. The days of needing 1000W PSUs are long gone. a 550-650W PSU should be able to power just about any gaming rig.

EDIT: I actually looked and the PSU they used in that is an 80+ Silver rated PSu, so it's getting better than 80% efficiency, at least 85%. So on the SLI 1080 system, drawing 451W, hell, let's add 200W(would probably only add 50-100W, if that) for CPU OC/further GPU OC/extra fans/HDDs/etc..650W drawn from the wall at 85% efficiency means the system is getting supplied with 552W. Since we added much more W than anything would ever really use, you can see that 550W is enough. Again, I still don't recommend going with a 550W in an SLI situation, but 650W more than enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like people always hugely over estimate the power they need for their rigs. Even I have a 750w PSU and that's just overkill for anything honestly.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

I said from my first comment to go 750w to have a quiet PSU but then some doofus said 650w wasnt ENOUGH. I just had to correct that statement. Can we please get that thunderball kid kicked off these forums The dude literally never has good advice to give, and is a hinderance to the people that do.

....Wut? 6700K is a 95W part. Even a heavy OC (most dont make it past 4.5ghz, much less make it to 4.7ghz) isnt going to add 55W to the draw, unless youre running at CPU melting voltages.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ....Wut? 6700K is a 95W part. Even a heavy OC (most dont make it past 4.5ghz, much less make it to 4.7ghz) isnt going to add 55W to the draw, unless youre running at CPU melting voltages.

Every PSU calculator I have looked at recommends at least 650w PSU for 1080 SLI, minimum. If you have a system like OPs then you will overclock, which will add more.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

For my system this gave me a load wattage of 603w if I were to use 1080 SLI. This takes into account all items in your PC. System board, CPU, hard drives, disk drives, GPUs, ect.

It is NOT GOOD to run a PSU at 90%+ load for extended periods. It causes the PSU to die faster. This is why I am recommending larger PSUs.
    Last edited by Shinzou; 2016-08-18 at 09:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing new here.

I remember someone arguing that the UD3 line of mobos was only for AMD CPUs because of their insane Watt slurping on the VRMs.
    And that 6 - 8 cores do not add 140W ontop of their original TDP for Intel CPU's when you overclock them.

I'll leave you to guess who that was.

If you are going 4k for the beauty I would recommend an IPS monitor, you would have a response time of about 4ms but the picture quality difference makes up for it. Again that depends on what you want it for as there are benefits to the 1ms response time too.
    I also agree that going for a higher PS might be worth it, if not now then for later on when you get that second GPU, get yourself a Platinum rated PS for efficiency. I'm not going to argue power constraints but it's worth it to over shoot so you only have to wire manage your case once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for the input, but things have changed. I managed to find a Titan X Pascal in stock so I went with that. I mean what the hell right? I'll likely pump up the PS a bit, so if and when I want too I can get a 2nd and SLI them.
    Fuck my self imposed budget of 2k(ish)!.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Every PSU calculator I have looked at recommends at least 650w PSU for 1080 SLI, minimum. If you have a system like OPs then you will overclock, which will add more.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

For my system this gave me a load wattage of 603w if I were to use 1080 SLI. This takes into account all items in your PC. System board, CPU, hard drives, disk drives, GPUs, ect.

It is NOT GOOD to run a PSU at 90%+ load for extended periods. It causes the PSU to die faster. This is why I am recommending larger PSUs.
    Where is the Captain Picard Facepalm ASCII when i need it.

That PSU calculator is AWFUL.

It's telling me my system will use 490W (and thereby draw almost 600 from the wall)...

under AIDA64 or Prime95 stress tests (including the GPU tests) ive never had it pull more than 400W from the wall... and that was with the bugged Prime95 that caused Haswell to shit itself. Right now, using the (fixed) version of Prime95 and Aida64... full stress...

Pulling ~360-370W at the wall. That's an i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz, GTX 1080 Armor OC @ 1825 core/1950 boost, 2TB SSHD, 16GB of RAM, 3 140mm fans (w/powered PWM splitter), one 200mm fan.

Also note the - "Total System Draw" on the left hand column? WIth an 8k Video test. Keep on failing.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2016-08-19 at 01:32 AM.