Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Except no laws are violated. Judges have a range in which they can rule. They often can choose to suspend a sentence or not. Now which do you think they will do in the situation I described. Hint: It has already been proven to be the case. This is far from tin foil hat.

Just gonna leave this here:

An analysis of private prison contracts from across the United States reveals that state and local governments commonly enter into agreements that require them to keep prisons filled or pay for unused, empty beds.

In the Public Interest (ITPI), a Washington, D.C.-based research and policy group on public services, reported in September 2013 that it found so-called bed guarantees in around 65% of the more than 60 private prison contracts it analyzed, including contracts from Texas, Ohio, Colorado and Florida. The bed guarantees, or “lockup quotas,” ranged from 70% minimum occupancy in at least one California facility to 100% occupancy at three Arizona prisons. The most common bed guarantee was 90%.

Public officials who agree to lockup quotas, according to corrections experts, become obligated – against their communities’ best interests – to keep prisons filled to ensure that taxpayer dollars aren’t being wasted.

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news...lockup-quotas/
    And NONE of what is written here, regardless of bold letters, says a single thing about putting people in jail that otherwise would not be. You are missing the gigantic point that makes your assertion make little sense. They have choice of where to send the prisoner. All what you linked is saying, is that private prisons get priority over other jails. You have no understanding, on even a basic level, of what is going on. Yet, you are just raging posting all bold walls of text that don't even support your point. GG....

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    And NONE of what is written here, regardless of bold letters, says a single thing about putting people in jail that otherwise would not be. You are missing the gigantic point that makes your assertion make little sense. They have choice of where to send the prisoner. All what you linked is saying, is that private prisons get priority over other jails. You have no understanding, on even a basic level, of what is going on. Yet, you are just raging posting all bold walls of text that don't even support your point. GG....
    If that were the case the part about "against their communities’ best interests" would not be there. Everywhere private prisons have gone at the state and local levels, incarceration rates have risen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Good, now let's see them actually change some laws and not incarcerate so many damn people unnecessarily.
    I agree. It's the laws and sentencing guidelines that need to change. It's a never ending display of on upmanship where each governor is "tougher on crime" than the last guy. Unfortunately, being "fair on crime" doesn't garner many votes.

- - - Updated - - -

If that were the case the part about "against their communities’ best interests" would not be there. Everywhere private prisons have gone at the state and local levels, incarceration rates have risen.
    Almost like they built them where there was high demand, huh?

Also, you are quoting a journalist opinion as your fact basis. Just sayin...

What you fail to realize, is what you are purporting would be highly illegal and there would be court cases over this. There are not.

I'm not even in favor of private prisons. But, I just can't let you walk around the planet this ignorant and have a good conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Now if only we could dissolve the DEA...
    And the FDA...

Almost like they built them where there was high demand, huh?
    If that were the case, the occupancy rates would have went down. If not enough prisons, they should have all been full. Instead, after the private prisons sprang up, the incarceration and occupancy rates went up.

If that were the case, the occupancy rates would have went down. If not enough prisons, they should have all been full. Instead, after the private prisons sprang up, the incarceration and occupancy rates went up.
    Fair enough. Either way, nobody is going to jail to fill a quota. That is not an actual thing that is real. They might go to a specific jail over another jail to meet a quota, but they aren't just locking people up for profit dude.

- - - Updated - - -

When in history was the prison population shrinking again?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    No. Just, no. Put down the tin foil and slowly back away. This isn't Vietnam, Smoky. This is bowling. There are rules.

Your conspiracy theory would violate handfuls of laws with no gain to the law breaker. That just doesn't happen in real life. You literally do not understand that nearly all the jails are already full, and that the 90% quota is merely to ensure a specific jail is full, over other available options. You are probably also unaware that private prisons make up a small minority of prisons.

Nobody is being put in jail for corporate profit, that is just nonsense and you should consider seeing a doctor if you believe that. Seriously, conspiracy theory belief and paranoia could be a medical issue.

If you want to argue private prisons are shitty, I'll join right in. But judges can't just sentence people all willy nilly, as they see fit. There are guidelines.
    Well, I mean, it has actually happened, though. Wasn't a "fill this quota" thing, but a "we'll pay you under the table to give prison sentences when you could have used your discretion to be more lenient."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Well, I mean, it has actually happened, though. Wasn't a "fill this quota" thing, but a "we'll pay you under the table to give prison sentences when you could have used your discretion to be more lenient."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal
    It doesn't LEGALLY happen is my point. The thread isn't about law breaking, it's about how the law exists. We could have threads forever about cases where the law was broken. What would be the point in that, though?

This other guy is trying to assert that it is standard practice for judges to concern themselves with private prison quotas. Which, is obviously only true if the law is being broken and some sort of bribe is occurring.

Fair enough. Either way, nobody is going to jail to fill a quota. That is not an actual thing that is real. They might go to a specific jail over another jail to meet a quota, but they aren't just locking people up for profit dude.
    Yes they are and one can find literally a ton of online proof.

The Wall Street Journal has shown how, as a result of lobbying by the operators, private jails in Mississippi and California are being paid for non- existent prisoners. The prison corporations have been guaranteed a certain number of inmates. If the courts fail to produce enough convicts, they get their money anyway. This outrages taxpayers in both states, which have cut essential public services to raise these funds. But there is a simple means of resolving this problem: you replace ghost inmates with real ones. As the Journal, seldom associated with raging anti-capitalism, observes: "Prison expansion [has] spawned a new set of vested interests with stakes in keeping prisons full and in building more ... The result has been a financial and political bazaar, with convicts in stripes as the prize."
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-titan-jails

Little wonder, then, that public prisons are overcrowded. Yet while providing security, housing, food, medical care, etc., for six million Americans is a hardship for cash-strapped states, to profit-hungry corporations such as Corrections Corp of America (CCA) and GEO Group, the leaders in the partnership corrections industry, it’s a $70 billion gold mine. Thus, with an eye toward increasing its bottom line, CCA has floated a proposal to prison officials in 48 states offering to buy and manage public prisons at a substantial cost savings to the states. In exchange, and here’s the kicker, the prisons would have to contain at least 1,000 beds and states would have agree to maintain a 90 percent occupancy rate in the privately run prisons for at least 20 years.

The problem with this scenario, as Roger Werholtz, former Kansas secretary of corrections, recognizes is that while states may be tempted by the quick infusion of cash, they “would be obligated to maintain these (occupancy) rates and subtle pressure would be applied to make sentencing laws more severe with a clear intent to drive up the population.” Unfortunately, that’s exactly what has happened. Among the laws aimed at increasing the prison population and growing the profit margins of special interest corporations like CCA are three-strike laws (mandating sentences of 25 years to life for multiple felony convictions) and “truth-in-sentencing” legislation (mandating that those sentenced to prison serve most or all of their time).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w...b_1414467.html

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't even understand how private prisons are constitutional.
    Because prisoners lose constitutional rights, in most senses...

Yes they are and one can find literally a ton of online proof.

The Wall Street Journal has shown how, as a result of lobbying by the operators, private jails in Mississippi and California are being paid for non- existent prisoners. The prison corporations have been guaranteed a certain number of inmates. If the courts fail to produce enough convicts, they get their money anyway. This outrages taxpayers in both states, which have cut essential public services to raise these funds. But there is a simple means of resolving this problem: you replace ghost inmates with real ones. As the Journal, seldom associated with raging anti-capitalism, observes: "Prison expansion [has] spawned a new set of vested interests with stakes in keeping prisons full and in building more ... The result has been a financial and political bazaar, with convicts in stripes as the prize."
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-titan-jails

Little wonder, then, that public prisons are overcrowded. Yet while providing security, housing, food, medical care, etc., for six million Americans is a hardship for cash-strapped states, to profit-hungry corporations such as Corrections Corp of America (CCA) and GEO Group, the leaders in the partnership corrections industry, it’s a $70 billion gold mine. Thus, with an eye toward increasing its bottom line, CCA has floated a proposal to prison officials in 48 states offering to buy and manage public prisons at a substantial cost savings to the states. In exchange, and here’s the kicker, the prisons would have to contain at least 1,000 beds and states would have agree to maintain a 90 percent occupancy rate in the privately run prisons for at least 20 years.

The problem with this scenario, as Roger Werholtz, former Kansas secretary of corrections, recognizes is that while states may be tempted by the quick infusion of cash, they “would be obligated to maintain these (occupancy) rates and subtle pressure would be applied to make sentencing laws more severe with a clear intent to drive up the population.” Unfortunately, that’s exactly what has happened. Among the laws aimed at increasing the prison population and growing the profit margins of special interest corporations like CCA are three-strike laws (mandating sentences of 25 years to life for multiple felony convictions) and “truth-in-sentencing” legislation (mandating that those sentenced to prison serve most or all of their time).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w...b_1414467.html
    ROFL. You just find any article that mentions quotas and you think people are being put in jail unjustly.

Also, again, you're using journalism opinion pieces as your fact basis. Why? Because what you are claiming is completely a conspiracy theory. In cases where it did happen, people went to jail for it, were bribed, and governments were sued. It is not legal to put a man in jail to meet a prison contract quota. It simply isn't. Therefore, anytime that happens, it's against the law.

What you and the editorial fail to realize, is that in nearly every heavily populated jurisdiction, the prisons are over flowing and already were long before the private prisons started.

And again, I am not in favor of private prisons, I'm in favor of living in reality.

But, it seems like you are more concerned with proving me wrong, than accepting the truth. I have to get back to work. Fun chat or whatever...
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-08-18 at 09:02 PM.

And the FDA...
    Right, good idea. Dissolve the administration responsible for making sure companies don't release drugs that kill people. Holy shit.

ROFL. You just find any article that mentions quotas and you think people are being put in jail unjustly.

Also, again, you're using journalism opinion pieces as your fact basis. Why? Because what you are claiming is completely a conspiracy theory. In cases where it did happen, people went to jail for it, were bribed, and governments were sued. It is not legal to put a man in jail to meet a prison contract quota. It simply isn't. Therefore, anytime that happens, it's against the law.

What you and the editorial fail to realize, is that in nearly every heavily populated jurisdiction, the prisons are over flowing and already were long before the private prisons started.

And again, I am not in favor of private prisons, I'm in favor of living in reality.
    You are simply in denial.

States sign agreements with private prisons to guarantee that they will fill a certain number of beds in jail at any given point. The most common rate is 90%, though some prisons are able to snag a 100% promise from their local governments. Because of these contracts, the state is obligated to keep prisons almost full at all times or pay for the beds anyway, so the incentive is to incarcerate more people and for longer in order to fill the quota.

One in every four people that is incarcerated worldwide is held captive in a United States jail. How is it that a country with only 5% of the world’s population has 25% of all the inmates? Simple: prisoners are source of revenue for private companies, so the demand for incarcerating them is especially high.

The three largest for-profit prison corporations have spent more than $45 million on campaign donations and lobbyists to keep politicians on the side of privatized incarceration. In light of all of their ethical violations, it’s obvious that they have to offer some incentive for keeping their business legal.
    http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/2...w-the-problems

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont even need to click the link in the OP to know thats the biggest crock of shit ever typed on MMOC.

The private prison lobby has hundreds of millions of bribe, i mean "campaign contributions" to give out every year. Private prisons are here to stay.

For the rest of your life. Federal, State and Offshore.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this, prisons should have never been privatized to begin with.

lol @ gullible liberals lapping up Obama's words like a dog getting handed a treat.

Just don't let them know that this ONLY contains to federally OWNED private prisons, which is like... a fraction of the prison industry.

State and local private prisons are still running

Federal prisons will still contract out almost everything to these private prisons, same as before. Security guards, staff, dining, etc.

Thanks though, I've already made a good bit of profit buying CCA and GEO at almost $13 per. Here's to hoping it bounces back to $27 soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzou View Post
    Right, good idea. Dissolve the administration responsible for making sure companies don't release drugs that kill people. Holy shit.
    If anything the FDA needs to be funded more, not less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    lol @ gullible liberals lapping up Obama's words like a dog getting handed a treat.

Just don't let them know that this ONLY contains to federally OWNED private prisons, which is like... a fraction of the prison industry.

State and local private prisons are still running

Federal prisons will still contract out almost everything to these private prisons, same as before. Security guards, staff, dining, etc.

Thanks though, I've already made a good bit of profit buying CCA and GEO at almost $13 per. Here's to hoping it bounces back to $27 soon
    Wow, you put yourself through some impressive gymnastics to twist this into a negative about Obama. There should be a medal for that level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    If anything the FDA needs to be funded more, not less.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, you put yourself through some impressive gymnastics to twist this into a negative about Obama. There should be a medal for that level of performance.
    Not at all. I LOVE Obama right now. The man speaks and gullible liberals and reactionaries eat. that. shit. up. Obama has made me a good bit of money today.

Thanks Obama!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Not at all. I LOVE Obama right now. The man speaks and gullible liberals and reactionaries eat. that. shit. up. Obama has made me a good bit of money today.

Thanks Obama!
    Whatever will you do come January?

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The prison guard unions really hate private prisons.
    Don't doubt it. State run prisons are the best, not only do u get sweet ass benefits, meal allotments, overtime whenever the jail goes on lockdown, but a pension after 10 or 20 years. Private prisons give little to nothing to their guards and challenge their ability to strike whenever they feel like it.