Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Do it if you want. Don't do it if you don't want to.

Just remember your feels are not protected from the court of public opinion based on either decision.

Nationalism and over exhibitions of "national pride" and "identity" always confused me to no end.

I hold no allegiance to any nation. Okay technically speaking I'm a US/British Citizen, and according to Hungarian, Austrian and Spanish law I'm eligible for those citizenships, if I fulfill certain preconditions (soliciting, declaring and renouncing other nationalities).

But having literally been raised all over, and having a very diverse background, I don't really much connect with the national identities of anything. I suppose that culturally I'm mostly anglo-saxon, but I feel no kinship to Britain and very limited to the US.

I understand obligations one has towards a society they live in, and towards the people they share that society with. Things like paying taxes, being a responsible member of that society.

But if tomorrow I were to leave Spain for.... India or South Africa, how I relate to the society I would inhabit wouldn't specifically change.

I understand that national pride and nationalism are still things...but they really shouldn't be. They are the equivalent of a psychological crutch, to those who lack a sufficiently developed sense of individual self, and they need to identify with a group in order to be "full".

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    How is it Honorary? I move because

A. I don't want a ticket
    B. I don't want my car to be smashed
    C. Someones life and/or property is in danger

So unless you pull over for every emergency vehicle every time you aren't honoring them.
    Good thing I do pull over for every emergency vehicle running their sirens, as do just about everyone I see on the road. I've seen people get shouted down from other drivers for not pulling over or worse, doing the slow creep and crawl drive while halfassing their pull over. It's honorary because you're giving way to the emergency vehicle and thus through small means helping to give more time to responders to address emergencies and save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Patriotism isn't defined entirely by a person dropping what they're doing because a song started playing.
    Definitely not but it is one facet in that gem for sure, honor and celebration are big parts of the whole thing that is patriotism.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    Nationalism is by far the bloodiest ideology in human history and any one who displays symptoms of it should seek psychiatric help.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Good thing I do pull over for every emergency vehicle running their sirens, as do just about everyone I see on the road. I've seen people get shouted down from other drivers for not pulling over or worse, doing the slow creep and crawl drive while halfassing their pull over. It's honorary because you're giving way to the emergency vehicle and thus through small means helping to give more time to responders to address emergencies and save lives.

I said EVERY. That includes those who aren't running their sirens. It's not honorary, you're doing it to not be a dick.

Definitely not but it is one facet in that gem for sure, honor and celebration are big parts of the whole thing that is patriotism.
    Sure but you asserted that "normal" behavior was the same as being "unpatriotic." Or was that just a springboard for the nation bashing part?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Okay this seems to have created a good discussion so I'll ask another question. Do you stand at attention at home if you're watching like the super bowl on TV and the anthem comes on?

Its respectful to stand during a national anthem while in public, not shooting hoops in the back.

Everyone stands for Gaga's version.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I understand that national pride and nationalism are still things...but they really shouldn't be. They are the equivalent of a psychological crutch, to those who lack a sufficiently developed sense of individual self, and they need to identify with a group in order to be "full".
    This couldn't be further from the truth. It is the wholly developed individual self who best exemplifies national/civic pride and nationalism, seeing them as synonyms and composite values to their own specific internal values. It's seeing both the separate and distinct personality and the indistinguishable, collective identity in themselves and in their nation. It's both salute and celebration, exuberant appreciation given form in their persona and in the things and ideas that embody their country.

You can find people to whom national pride and nationalism is a crutch no doubt, but basing your opinion on the shallow end of people is always a sure way to end up disappointed in them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I said EVERY. That includes those who aren't running their sirens. It's not honorary, you're doing it to not be a dick.
    No one does that for every single emergency vehicle, it's actually a road hazard to do so.

It is honorary, but thanks for trying to tell me why I do things, I'll be sure to ask you more about myself later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Sure but you asserted that "normal" behavior was the same as being "unpatriotic." Or was that just a springboard for the nation bashing part?
    Yeah, I was being salty hahaha.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    So I was reading about the official national anthem etiquette in the United States and I saw this:

"If you are on the way to your seat at a sports event, or in any public place, and the first strains of the anthem are heard, stop where you are and stand at attention until the end. Don’t talk, chew gum, eat, or smoke during the singing of the anthem."

So like, if I hear the anthem in like a mall or something I'm meant to stop and stand at attention like a hypnotized zombie? I've only been living in the states a couple of years so this shit is still weird to me.

Have you ever done this or seen this? I'm talking about like how you would react if you overheard the anthem randomly and unexpectedly, not like when you're in a football stadium or something.
    The National Anthem is not just played randomly; you won't here it walking through your local mall lol

I'll stand up if I'm sitting down at a sporting event, but I'm not going to stop what I'm doing. I've never put my hand over my heart or anything like that. Then again, the international competitions I've participated in are nowhere near as high profile as the Olympics, hence people never having started a bitchfest over me not sufficiently participating.

I imagine things are supposed to go like this though:
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2016-08-18 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    So I was reading about the official national anthem etiquette in the United States and I saw this:

"If you are on the way to your seat at a sports event, or in any public place, and the first strains of the anthem are heard, stop where you are and stand at attention until the end. Don’t talk, chew gum, eat, or smoke during the singing of the anthem."
    Legitimate question, did you read this on some right wing blog/Facebook page?

So like, if I hear the anthem in like a mall or something I'm meant to stop and stand at attention like a hypnotized zombie?

I haven't seen it first hand but have heard people preach that's what you're supposed to do....

I've only been living in the states a couple of years so this shit is still weird to me.

You have the perfect excuse not to do it. I'm jealous.

Have you ever done this or seen this? I'm talking about like how you would react if you overheard the anthem randomly and unexpectedly, not like when you're in a football stadium or something.
    I wouldn't give the first fuck. It's just a song. If someone wants to get teary eyed over be my guest. Just don't expect me to do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    At things like events, I will stand, but nothing more. Anywhere else I just ignore it.

While there are codes regarding it, there are no actual penalties for not following those codes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Legitimate question, did you read this on some right wing blog/Facebook page?
    It actually is a US code (though mentions nothing about gum, eating, or smoking).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It actually is a US code (though mentions nothing about gum, eating, or smoking).
    I was hoping that wasn't the case, but since we have a BS flag code I shouldn't be surprised. :/

Well, on military bases when you hear someone shout colors, you bolt to the nearest building so you don't get caught saluting for its duration.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You are supposed stand at attention if you hear it live. Playbacks do not count, at least around here.
    Yeah.... no that's not true, but it's more a matter of when it's being played for a purpose not randomly.

Then there's this.

never forget.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    What happens if the anthem is playing from a car which is speeding towards you?
    You run after it when it passes, while saluting ofcourse. You will be tried for treason if you don't hear every word of the lyrics.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Normal" being unpatriotic, that's amusing. McCanada, Inc. presiding right here.

Of course besides Hockey there isn't too much for Canadians to be patriotic about in the first place, so I understand.
    Solid nation bashing post, well done.

Except you forget that most Canadians are incredibly proud of our country, we just don't feel the need to be expressively patriotic about things like randomly hearing the anthem. Frankly, yeah, for most people across the world its normal to honor the anthem and flag at events but not when randomly hearing or seeing them while going about their everyday lives.

And for the record as a nation we are proud of everything that separates us from being like the USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Rofl. Do people really do that?
    And they'll chastise you for being unpatriotic if you don't.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.