Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Those of you who played beta, DH vs DK?

How do they compare, damage and tanking?

Which one did you enjoy more and why? I'm just looking for personal experience here, since we don't have all the data to make conclusions yet.

Unholy has less burst aoe, but better spread and sustained aoe. Single target is pretty close, but DH target switching is much better since festering wounds don't transfer between targets. Unholy has way better survival cd's.

Frost is trash right now, don't bother until they fix it.

Blood DK tank is still better in raids than DH tank, both are close in mythic+ dungeons but DH tanks has better mobility/utility.

Dk's this xpac, much like warlocks, got stripped out of a lot of what made them unique. You bring grasp and that's about it. DK mobility is worse than ever with that shitty Wraith Walk they saddled us with at the expense of death's advance.

As far as tanking goes, I preferred DK. The DH tank design just felt flawed from the start, much too reliant on self healing and I was often a liability in the group for higher mythic+ than I was with a DK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Unholy has less burst aoe, but better spread and sustained aoe. Single target is pretty close, but DH target switching is much better since festering wounds don't transfer between targets. Unholy has way better survival cd's.

Blood DK tank is still better in raids than DH tank, both are close in mythic+ dungeons but DH tanks has better mobility/utility.

Dk's this xpac, much like warlocks, got stripped out of a lot of what made them unique. You bring grasp and that's about it. DK mobility is worse than ever with that shitty Wraith Walk they saddled us with at the expense of death's advance.
    Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. DPS DKs don't have grasp and with Wraith Walk, which is a great ability to have and more than enough for a DK that is used to have NOTHING, Unholy has close to no weakness when it comes to PvE. ST burst is good, AoE burst is well, sustained AoE is acutally pretty low but unneeded anyway.

UH DK is op as balls.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOC StarCo View Post
    Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. DPS DKs don't have grasp and with Wraith Walk, which is a great ability to have and more than enough for a DK that is used to have NOTHING, Unholy has close to no weakness when it comes to PvE. ST burst is good, AoE burst is well, sustained AoE is acutally pretty low but unneeded anyway.

UH DK is op as balls.
    First off, every DK gets grip and Blood gets Grip and Grasp. Considering they just said 'DKs this expac', they didn't specify spec so they are still correct. As for mobility, UH used to have passive move speed plus Death's Advance (much shorter CD than Wrath Walk) so we do actually have less mobility now.

Less burst AoE? You haven't tried Epidemic...

UH has the best burst AoE in the game, period.

DH does fine. But in order to maximize your dps, you have to use momentum build.
    Last edited by HTowN; 2016-08-19 at 02:27 AM.

Guess people treat burst differently. Waiting for a Virulent Plague spread into epidemic and DnD+SS spam is not what I mean by burst, I mean pressing a single button without much setup like eye beam and vomiting aoe.

Blood DK feels too spammy now. But you have the self-shields/heals.

Tank DH is basically a lighter Blood DK mixed with a lighter Brewmaster Monk imo. In other words you have some self-healing mixed with some absorbs and quick mobility. Kiting is hilariously easy on the DH.

I'm def going DH for a tank this time around. DK would not even be my second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Relidar View Post
    How do they compare, damage and tanking?

Which one did you enjoy more and why? I'm just looking for personal experience here, since we don't have all the data to make conclusions yet.
    Sounds like you want opinions:

I think UH is very enjoyable in leveling, 5-mans, and raids. I can't speak for PvP. Has a nice toolkit of abilities in terms of ST and AOE that I enjoy, although it is a little lacking in utility, in like a 5man setting.
    I don't like DH rotation for single target, just build-spend-build-spend ad nausea. I don't like that Momentum build is a thing. The class and abilities look good visually; double jump and glide are fun in world content.

You don't have to wait for anything...

Outbreak -> 3 x Epidemic. That takes 4 seconds, almost equal to eye beam duration...

Eye Beam is a 2 sec cast. You're talking 4 skills at 1.5 sec GCD = 6 seconds total. 3 times the cast time.

Thats an incredibly specific parameter to describe "burst." Bladestorm lasts 6 seconds and has ALWAYS been classified as aoe burst.

2 seconds or less does not describe "burst".
    Last edited by Rothulean1; 2016-08-19 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothulean1 View Post
    Thats an incredibly specific parameter to describe "burst." Bladestorm lasts 6 seconds and has ALWAYS been classified as aoe burst.

2 seconds or less does not describe "burst".
    I agree. DH AoE burst consists of multiple steps:

Fel Rush -> Eye Beam -> Throw Glaive -> Fell Barrage (->Fel Rush again)

Pressing Eye Beam button is like an over-simplified definition.

Deleted
    Guess people treat burst differently. Waiting for a Virulent Plague spread into epidemic and DnD+SS spam is not what I mean by burst, I mean pressing a single button without much setup like eye beam and vomiting aoe.
    outbreak + epidemic + abomination's 360 aoe

You could well combine bursting sores + blighted runeblade for passive wounds on target, drop 3 epidemics then DND + SS cleave with FW burst. That's pretty huge if done right.
    Last edited by mmoc3d7f422663; 2016-08-19 at 09:17 AM.

Deleted
    How bad is Frost on Beta (with artifact) in terms of DPS to unholy is it 1-5 % worse basically only mythic raiders will care about that, or is it like 10-20% worse and the spec is unplayable ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejw View Post
    How bad is Frost on Beta (with artifact) in terms of DPS to unholy is it 1-5 % worse basically only mythic raiders will care about that, or is it like 10-20% worse and the spec is unplayable ?
    UH seems only slightly higher but is better on movement fights due to pet, epidemic, potentially clawing shadows and a lot of other stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Eye Beam is a 2 sec cast. You're talking 4 skills at 1.5 sec GCD = 6 seconds total. 3 times the cast time.
    Haste mon, it reduces GCD. Theoretically you could reduce it to 4s and even 3s if you threw Outbreak in advance. He may have not specified it and may have not counted 6s but our aoe burst is a lot more "on demand" than DHs EB on 45s CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    outbreak + epidemic + abomination's 360 aoe

You could well combine bursting sores + blighted runeblade for passive wounds on target, drop 3 epidemics then DND + SS cleave with FW burst. That's pretty huge if done right.
    There is also 1 small interaction: If you select Clawing Shadow, abo's 360 AoE will apply Festering Wound to all targets inside the area. So DnD + SS cleave will potentially do more dmg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HTowN View Post
    There is also 1 small interaction: If you select Clawing Shadow, abo's 360 AoE will apply Festering Wound to all targets inside the area. So DnD + SS cleave will potentially do more dmg.
    You need Infected Claws talent for it though since that's the source for Abos potential FW application.

Yeah, sorry. Infected Claw. My bad.