Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreaz View Post
    Can't really recall too many prominent characters being race swapped in the other direction. Sort of does feel like pandering, to me anyway.
    Tilda Swinton, The Ancient One (Dr. Strange)
    Scarlet Johannsen, Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
    The Whole Cast - Gods of Egypt
    The Main Cast - Exodus: Gods and Kings.

Having Spider Man fall for a black women isn't an issue, nothing wrong with that in the slightest.

I do wish it was a new character though, rather than changing an existing one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    prom·i·nent
    ˈprämənənt/
    adjective
    adjective: prominent

important; famous.

I guess this is subjective as to what your idea of "famous" is though.

prom·i·nent
    ˈprämənənt/
    adjective

important; famous.

The Ancient One and Motoko are more than just a little prominent.

Wait, what? Why is Mary Jane not being a red head less important than her being a model? When I think of spidey's MJ, one of the first features that comes to mind is her red hair.
    Because her Red Hair is absolutely not in any way an important part of her character. Physically speaking, MJ needs to be one thing: Hot as Fuck. That is literally part of her character. How she manages to look hot as fuck is completely not relevant, so long as she does. Almost the entirety of her character is her being the super attractive, way out of his league girl that happens to live right next door to Parker, and as such, becomes his first major crush. This is also why being a model is more important then her hair color. Being a Model elevates her in that "out of his league" aspect, assisting with putting her on the pedestal that she usually sits on when directly compared to "the stereotypical dweeb" who is teenage Peter Parker. Her having red hair is pretty irrelevant in that regard. As long as she is the Hot "out of his league" Girl Next Door to play against his Nerdy Teenager with Secrets Parker, she is qualified to be Mary Jane; everything else is just window dressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ancient One and Motoko are more than just a little prominent.
    Maybe in their respective universes, but the former I only know of because the movie will be coming out soon-ish and the latter I have no clue on. I think quite a few people would be able to tell you who Mary Jane Watson is, especially if you're like "you know, from Spiderman?". I imagine far less people know who any of those you mentioned are.
    But, I mean, if you want to say that Motoko is as prominent as Mary Jane, well I guess we'll just have to sum that up as differing opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    snip
    I want you to do me a favor and google Mary Jane Watson, then come back and tell us all what features seem to define the character. I'm not saying Mary Jane shouldn't also be recognizably hot, but her red hair is pretty iconic of the character.
    Last edited by Boreaz; 2016-08-19 at 08:02 AM.

Maybe in their respective universes, but the former I only know of because the movie will be coming out soon-ish and the latter I have clue on. I think quite a few people would be able to tell you who Mary Jane Watson is, especially if you're like "you know, from Spiderman?". I imagine far less people know who any of those you mentioned are.
    But, I mean, if you want to say that Motoko is as prominent as Mary Jane, well I guess we'll just have to sum that up as differing opinions.
    Well, They managed to do 2 Spider-Man movies without including Mary Jane at all. They even cast her in the second movie but ended up cutting her out of the film altogether. That kinda diminishes her prominence. Right now, I'd bet you'd find at least as many people that associate Gwen Stacy as Peter Parker's love interest as Mary Jane Watson.

And yeah, Ghost in the Shell is a pretty prominent Manga and Anime.

- - - Updated - - -

I want you to do me a favor and google Mary Jane Watson, then come back and tell us all what features seem to define the character. I'm not saying Mary Jane shouldn't also be recognizably hot, but her red hair is pretty iconic of the character.
    Do you want to know the actual reason Mary Jane Watson is a Red Head? It was to keep her from looking too much like Gwen Stacy. That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As if there is any artistic integrity to characters that have been resurrected/re envisioned/rebooted so many times.

Although I do agree that changing characters for the sake of pandering to SJWs is pretty pathetic.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, They managed to do 2 Spider-Man movies without including Mary Jane at all. They even cast her in the second movie but ended up cutting her out of the film altogether. That kinda diminishes her prominence. Right now, I'd bet you'd find at least as many people that associate Gwen Stacy as Peter Parker's love interest as Mary Jane Watson.

And yeah, Ghost in the Shell is a pretty prominent Manga and Anime.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want to know the actual reason Mary Jane Watson is a Red Head? It was to keep her from looking too much like Gwen Stacy. That's it.
    As to your first point, I would be willing to make a pretty solid bet that most people's first thought on Spidey's love interest would be Mary Jane. As to your second, does that really matter? Regardless of whatever other features shes known for, her red hair is definitely one of them. That it was originally designed as a distinguishing factor between her and Gwen is a pretty moot point.

As to your first point, I would be willing to make a pretty solid bet that most people's first thought on Spidey's love interest would be Mary Jane. As to your second, does that really matter? Regardless of whatever other features shes known for, her red hair is definitely one of them. That it was originally designed as a distinguishing factor between her and Gwen is a pretty moot point.
    So, one physical feature being off is all that it takes then?

10+ Year Old Account
    So, one physical feature being off is all that it takes then?
    No? That was just a really random point to make. Like her hair was initially created to distinguish her from Gwen. Cool? Doesn't make it any less of a defining feature.

Still uneasy regarding Tilda Swinton being "The Ancient One", women are not even allowed in majority of Tibetan monasteries.

SJ is the maximum eye-candy to ruin the live-action of a great anime -_-

Haven't even watched the other two movies due to them being rather ridiculed titles.

In the end, those cases do not justify sj-washing of an iconic character.

Deleted
    No? That was just a really random point to make. Like her hair was initially created to distinguish her from Gwen. Cool? Doesn't make it any less of a defining feature.
    Since in comic books nearly every girl is the perfectly shaped blond or black haired. I guess it kinda does a bit. Mary Jane instantly makes me think of a redhead before anything else. Who cares if she's a model, every girl in comic books is pretty much a model.

That's nice. Now go google Hamlet. Now tell me what defines the character. I will wait while you figure out why having red hair is pretty much the least important thing about Mary Jane Watson.

So then, you don't think the red hair is critical to the role of Mary Jane?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
    Still uneasy regarding Tilda Swinton being "The Ancient One", women are not even allowed in majority of Tibetan monasteries.

SJ is the maximum eye-candy to ruin the live-action of a great anime -_-

Haven't even watched the other two movies due to them being rather ridiculed titles.

In the end, those cases do not justify sj-washing of an iconic character.
    But you don't care about "white-washing"

Personally, I don't really care either way. I do think though that if you narrow your casting based on "Person must look exactly like they do in the comics"...you're going to have a pretty hard time casting anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    So then, you don't think the red hair is critical to the role of Mary Jane?
    Nope, in fact, I've repeatedly stated that it was only ONE of the qualities I consider to be defining of Mary Jane. Her being female and being the love interest of Peter Parker, for me, being the most critical.
    It IS, however, a pretty defining feature of the character. To say otherwise, is just kind of odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    That's nice. Now go google Hamlet. Now tell me what defines the character. I will wait while you figure out why having red hair is pretty much the least important thing about Mary Jane Watson.
    I mean, you're wrong on it being the least important thing about her. When I think Mary Jane, her eye color doesn't exactly come to mind, for example.

I'm not a big fan of this move really, I've never understood the reason for drastically changing characters like this. And no, it's not a race thing, I was equally disappointed in the white Mandarin from Iron Man 3. Probably more disappointed actually.

I mean, I will wait and see the movie before giving it a final judgement. Maybe they just thought she'd be absolutely fantastic in the role and didn't want her race to be a hinder. Or they thought they could make this work very well and add some new interesting elements. There are a few good reasons I can see it being done for, I'm just hoping it's not the SJW-pleasing race change token character.

prom·i·nent
    ˈprämənənt/
    adjective

important; famous.

Prominent and famous aren't really synonymous though.

Prominent stems from the latin word that means "to project; to stand out," and the opposite to that isn't "not famous," it's "not standing out." As in, all the no-name characters that aren't different enough from one another and most likely not credited in the movies, or only as "Bus driver" or "Guy on the street #5" or something similar.

So whether The Ancient One and Motoko Kusanagi are prominent characters depends on your scope. In their movies and genres, definitely. On a worldwide scale, not so much. But since you didn't define it (and the word most commonly is used when referencing them within their media and not worldwide) and only said "prominent characters," which is a definition they definitely fall under, you can't claim his post was inaccurate or that it's a subjective definition.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I don't really care either way. I do think though that if you narrow your casting based on "Person must look exactly like they do in the comics"...you're going to have a pretty hard time casting anyone.
    I'm really doubting the reason they went with Zendaya was because they couldn't find a redhead who could play a love interest and wanted to be in a Marvel movie...
    Last edited by Thrif; 2016-08-19 at 09:48 AM.

1. They wanted a woman should have been asian imo

2. Isn't she a robot that is drawn to look white?

3. Agree on this but blacks will say that changing the color is ok on a fictional character so they shouldn't have bitched about it.

4. Don't know the movie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    So whether The Ancient One and Motoko Kusanagi are prominent characters depends on your scope. In their movies and genres, definitely. On a worldwide scale, not so much. But since you didn't define it (and the word most commonly is used when referencing them within their media and not worldwide) and only said "prominent characters," which is a definition they definitely fall under, you can't claim his post was inaccurate or that it's a subjective definition.
    Fair enough, I did go on to specify what I meant a few posts later though.

Anyone is better than Kirsten Dunst.
    You heard it here folks. Rosie O'Donnell would make a better Mary Jane than Kirsten Dunst.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.