Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    It's the same as any other country, you ridiculous example at the mall doesn't count just like it wouldn't anywhere else. How is this concept hard to grasp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There's a difference between patriotism and nationalism.
    They both have the same origin: people's insecurity and desire to separate themselves from others for some petty reason. Patriotism is one of the reasons why there can't be peace on Earth at this point of civilization evolution.

Imagine if, instead of crappy "national interests", people talked about interests of humanity... If, instead of "national anthems", we had world anthems, composed by large multinational groups of people... But no, I guess I am a few centuries early with this narrative. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    You won't ever really hear the anthem except at games and military bases. SO it isn't like it is something you are going to be faced with everyday. Btw, YOU are the type of immigrant that worry's me. Back way back when immigrants would of been proud to stop and listen to the anthem- but now? Apparently it is a "zombie" thing. You can always move somewhere else if you don't like American culture or values. Because we sure as hell won't change for you.
    I started writing out some huge reply to this then I decided, why even bother wasting my time with such ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    It's the same as any other country, you ridiculous example at the mall doesn't count just like it wouldn't anywhere else. How is this concept hard to grasp?
    Well I wouldn't say it's quite the same. I don't think where I'm from (England) has any such laws or protocols on how to act when the anthem is playing. If there is, I lived there for 22 years and never heard about it. I didn't have to pledge my allegiance to anything or ever stand at attention. This whole thing is a little bizarre, so while it may seem like a ridiculous example to you, from what I'm reading and seeing, I honestly do not know.

Deleted
    Interesting to see how some countris take their Anthem so serious.
    Many people (if not ALL people) in the Netherlands dont take it serious at all.

We arent very patriotic, maybe that's why. Also doesnt help we literally sing we honor the king of Spain and are "of German blood" ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Just Americans being extremely patriotic, probably one of the most patriotic in the world.

To us outsiders, it will always be silly, and we can always have a good laugh about it.
    Maybe should start playing it during sporting events at the olympics, more medals for the rest of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Interesting to see how some countris take their Anthem so serious.
    Many people (if not ALL people) in the Netherlands dont take it serious at all.

We arent very patriotic, maybe that's why. Also doesnt help we literally sing we honor the king of Spain and are "of German blood" ...
    Us Dutchies are Germanic, so its atleast not as bad the king of spain one, and Willem van orangje-Nassau was German(its a song made in his honour, afterall).

But tradition trumps patriotism in our case, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Which is hilariously outmoded and outdated.

If I hear the anthem live at an event I'll take off my hat and stand to attention, but not if I randomly hear it while out and about. If it's a hockey game I'll belt it out along with the rest of them.

But we're more normal in Canada, we don't have a weird obsession with being patriotic..
    Unless it hockey.......then the rest of the world can go fuck themselves....lol =D

10+ Year Old Account
    ...wut?

We don't have pledges in our schools, our schools also don't fly the Dutch flag, anthem does not get played at national sport games etc..

Deleted
    I don't give a damn for my own country anthem but I respect it so I just stay quiet while it lasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Yeah. How dare she not put her hand on her heart! Clearly she hates America and everything we stand for!
    Our sporters just move their mouths alongside the anthem at the OS.
    Nothing more.

Its nice to hear it, but thats about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i don't think its that weird, its the same in the DR (not like people care that much) but not like it happens that much either, but when someone is taking down a flag, you're supposed to stop moving, but your hand in your heart and wait for the flag to be taken down before continuing

Err what? Nobody gives a damn if their national anthem is playing at any sports event outside the US, but even worse you are playing it at completely national events like the Super Bowl. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Well i don't think its that weird, its the same in the DR (not like people care that much) but not like it happens that much either, but when someone is taking down a flag, you're supposed to stop moving, but your hand in your heart and wait for the flag to be taken down before continuing
    Oh yeah I read something about if you see the flag being put up you should stand and salute. I've never actually seen a flag being put up or taken down though so I wouldn't know.

I do the same thing for the anthem that I do when people are praying for meals and stuff, stay quite and still until it's over. While I think both are awkward and weird it's even weirder and more awkward when everyone's pissed off at you for some perceived slight against them.
    Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Just Americans being extremely patriotic, probably one of the most patriotic in the world.
    I wouldn't say Americans, in general, are all that patriotic. Just the patriotic rhetoric is popular in politics and in some social groups.

Or maybe I'm just lucky with the area I live in...
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I wouldn't say Americans, in general, are all that patriotic. Just the patriotic rhetoric is popular in politics and in some social groups.

Or maybe I'm just lucky with the area I live in...
    I think I would be correct in saying that the South is more overt in their displays of patriotism? I don't know how it is in other parts of the country but where I live there's flags everywhere, everyone's pledging their allegiance at every meeting and stuff. I don't know if that's unique to this area or is all over.

I always sing along at a sports event. I've never heard it played in mall or something, but if it is you shouldn't feel obligated to stand at attention.
    I wish more people would sing along at events though. It always feels cool when a massive crowd is singing together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Oh yeah I read something about if you see the flag being put up you should stand and salute. I've never actually seen a flag being put up or taken down though so I wouldn't know.
    Not like its an obligation, it happens here, and you see some people who stand still others that don't (I... well, it depends, if i'm on a rush, i won't stop -even if there's not a good reason to be on a rush-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    you realize that's exactly the way it works here too right?
    and then you have the nerve to call someone else out for nation bashing?
    Have you even been reading this thread?

That's not what people right here are saying you should do.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I would be correct in saying that the South is more overt in their displays of patriotism? I don't know how it is in other parts of the country but where I live there's flags everywhere, everyone's pledging their allegiance at every meeting and stuff. I don't know if that's unique to this area or is all over.
    Might be. I live in Indiana, and I don't notice much of patriotism here at all. Barely any flags anywhere (except for Independence Day, of course), no one talks about anything related to the country... Not much difference from Europe, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Well I wouldn't say it's quite the same. I don't think where I'm from (England) has any such laws or protocols on how to act when the anthem is playing. If there is, I lived there for 22 years and never heard about it. I didn't have to pledge my allegiance to anything or ever stand at attention.
    Then you are just unaware of it. You have Royal Protocol for when God Save the Queen is played. It's such a big deal they made a big fuss about it when Obama accidentally broke it not long ago. Here you go since you claim you weren't aware of it.
    United Kingdom and the Commonwealth: God Save the Queen must be played for Her Majesty the Queen or other members of the Royal Family. Governors-General of Commonwealth countries are to be honoured by a salute, consisting of an abbreviated version (usually the few beginning bars and the few ending bars) of the national anthem of their own country.
    We don't have laws in regards to the national anthem either and I'm not sure where you got that we do. I didn't have to pledge allegiance to anything either.

This whole thing is a little bizarre, so while it may seem like a ridiculous example to you, from what I'm reading and seeing, I honestly do not know.
    Common sense dictates you should look around and do what others do. People stop moving and stand at attention while it's playing facing the person singing usually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    ...wut?
    anthem does not get played at national sport games etc..
    You country was dumb enough to ban it's own flag a few years ago in school so what? I'm not sure where schools in the us say the pledge we never did it.
    That's flat out wrong they play the first and sixth stanza of the Wilhelmus at sporting events. Also, the reason they don't play it more often is it's 15 minutes long if sung in entirety.