Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Understood. I'm most definitely not a competitive person. it's not anxiety, social or otherwise. it's that I won't shackle myself to anyone else's schedule, for any reason.

Lol I bet you are free to plan a Saturday night out with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rivux View Post
    I treat WoW nower days like a film/book series. I simply don't have the time to play the game properly now that i'm engaged and looking to start my own family.
    Now I play the expansions until i've reached the end of the story then unsub and wait until the next expansion. I don't have time to waste in LFR or the time to dedicate myself to a guild so this is my solution.

Damn I miss the days where I had countless hours to spend on the game on any game! don't take this time for granted people!!
    I am in the same boat. Used to do all that hardcore raiding but now, took a step back. Still raid, just not at the same level. It's shocking the extra time you have!

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who gets it? Maybe it is because wow is an off game for me now that I no longer focus on and his attitude is a VERY FFXIV esque one. buuut..lets be honest here..Maybe he wants to see the story or play the game itself. Like enjoy the workd but without needing to wait.

Like instead kf waiting months or years he can go BAM done.

In ffxiv I knoe many players like this they unsubstantiated when story is done resubmit each patch Dk the new stuff unsub and come back.

It keeps the game fresher abd prevents burnout

As the title says, I've heard of people that ( when a new xpac comes out) they level cap the toon of their choice, max all that toons professions, and then unsub until the last raid patch. Not the prepatch for the next expac, but the one right before it. By resubbing at that time, they take full advantage of the catchups in place, see the content, and avoid most of the grind. I'm thinking of doing something similar:

level 1 toon on each faction ( probly my Belfdh and my draenei spriest) to 110 and max all their profs, primary and secondary

do Loremaster and all the exploration achieves 1 time on each of the toons, for the full view from both sides

do all the dungeons available in lfd at least once

unsub till last raid patch

at last raid patch, resub, pick a toon (probly the spriest, my first toon), finish the rest of broken isles pathfinder, use available catchups to gear him, do all lfr/lfd bosses available at that time ( that I havent already done) at least once.

repeat on my dh

unsub till prepatch for next expac

Anybody thats tried something like this care to comment? I'm thinking of playing the holy fudge out of Secret World and DCUO through the middle of legion before i resub at the end

EDIT:I havent raided above lfr since it came out, because I'm done with guilds
    I'm subbed since the ICC patch (with minor unsubs due to not having money, when I was still in school), so I may not be very helpful, but here's what I recommend you:

Do as you said, but stay subbed for as long as you enjoy the game. This may mean, you'll be playing for 1 month before unsubbing or 6 months, or even longer due to new content being released before you get bored. Hell you may even play the entire expansion long, if Blizz achieves to bring new content constantly.
    See, there'll be the mythic+ dungeons coming for which you will NOT need a constant group of 5 ppl, as everyone will be looking for someone with a free/unused Keystone. You will not even need to do high mythic+'s. Okay they may not be queued, but after hearing all those beta testers saying, that Mythic dungeons (without +) are easy as fck, they seem to be what we now call heroic dungeons (as normal dungeons will be for Lvling only).
    You can also still do lfr, which, now gives tier gear again. And seriously, progressing your character while doing content, when it still is relevant, is more fun than skipping all the progress by joining back extremely late.

Tl;Dr: give everything a try before making your decision to leave early. Maybe you'll find some content you like doing. Maybe you'll regret leaving too early, when you find fun content for you at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Alright, final thoughts on this topic before I leave it. To the OP and any one else reading what he says and considering his ideas as useful or agreeing with his stance for any reason.

WORLD of Warcraft has been around for 12 years. In that time, I have made some of the closest relationships I will ever have with human beings thanks to its difficult end game content requiring us to play together.
    In that time, I have turned from a 16 year old boy into a full grown adult. In that time I have also turned from a complete noob to a guild master of a 13/13M raiding guild that has been together since ICC. 8+ years of gaming, with a lot of the membership being here for 5+ years as well as all the officers here for all 8.
    After all this, reading what you are suggesting truly saddens me. Typically, I approach people who are complainers or otherwise clueless about the game with contempt, but after reading through this I am just sad.
    Its sad to hear that some one who spends time on this website is actively plotting ways they can buy the game, level up, then quit before they do any of the end game content.
    This game is something you should WANT to play seriously. You should WANT to progress your character, get immersed in the zones and storylines like Suramar, and enjoy the excitement of the patches as they come and go.
    You are CHOOSING to skip all this, and to me its like wanting to go mountain climbing but having a teleportation pad at the base of the trail that takes you right to the top.

What is the point in even playing this game if you are ignoring its most prominent feature: WORLD.

I promise you, if you took the time to find some like-minded individuals with which you could raid (even if its just normal) weekly, you would never ever be considering this nonsense idea again.
    Seeing the story of the game is nothing special. LIVING the story of the game with your character that you have poured over a year /played on with 19 of your closest friends on the planet is the only reason to play the game for me. Along the way, you will learn a lot about yourself and others, as well as what you do and don't enjoy in Gaming.

Just consider it. You saying "you are done with guilds" exemplifies the issue. Give Legion the shot it deserves, and give yourself some credit. You are better than quitting a game for potentially 2 years (with all these patches they are planning) just to come back and do LFR of the 8+ raids you are going to miss.
    Because to some if us the world's gone to hell and the devs put FAR too much focus on pure raiding. Back in the day we got more 5 man's leveling in abd of itself was a fun activity...

These days it feels like a checklist rather then a world.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    What is the point of EVER playing the game if you approach it so casually that you are planning to unsub without even playing it in order to bypass actually playing it?
    Just save your money and stop wasting yours and everyone else's time.

There is absolutely no point in even buying the expansion if you don't plan on doing things at max level even if its for less than a few hours a week.
    You shouldn't tell people what they should feel if they're playing the same game differently, maybe it's funny/challenging for him to do so? If he wants to do that, then I see no problem.

What your talking about is experiencing the content without difficulty, in an efficient manner. Yeah, you can do that no worries.

As you've read in this thread, people hate when other people do that, it is considered a little flakey and casual, but it reall is okay and you shouldn't worry about those people. I am one of those people, lol, but you do what you want. The game is there to play how you want.

This post is what is wrong with the "see the content" LFR people. If you want to see the content, watch a youtube video.

Video games are supposed to be challenging. MMOs are supposed to require (or at the very least) reward group play.

Once Blizzard stopped making their MMO for people who actually enjoy MMOs, everything went downhill. (they probably made more money than they would have there for a little bit, but man ...)

I think it's a great idea and is also perfectly in-line with Acti-Blizz new business model.

It's all cyclical anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post

If that is the case, then they would be better served just buying the books.
    No one is better served buying the warcraft books, they're terrible.

OT you do you man. If no one else is relying on you it doesnt really matter how you play the game, and tbh with the attitude you've hinted at it's probably better for everyone if you just play solo. Why you would make a thread on a fansite about this is a different matter entirely - you obviously don't enjoy the game, why are you even here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
    I think it's a great idea and is also perfectly in-line with Acti-Blizz new business model.

It's all cyclical anyway.
    Yeah, if only Blizzard stopped trying to cater to those kinds of players. Newsflash: they're gonna unsub anyway.

Long term players shouldn't hate on casuals that want to sub and unsub at their whim (what we see in this thread). They should hate at Blizzard who decides should this playstyle be more rewarding than day - by - day playing or the opposite.

So far the only ideas Blizzard had how to retain people were super lame - long alt-unfriendly legendary grinds and gating of content like LFR. It's laughable to think that would compel "cyclical" playerbase to stay subbed all year round. It won't.

As for the OP, your time, your money, do what you wish and don't ask for others' approval. It's like coming to the bookworms' club and boasting you're only reading the recaps and TLDRs. You have the right to do so but don't expect the audience to be in awe of your "smart plan".

7+ Year Old Account
    I really don't get all the hostility. Nothing I do is going to screw with anyone else's game.

And I don't understand the idea that I don't enjoy the game. I wouldn't pay for something I didn't enjoy. I'm simply cutting out as much of the things I do dislike in it as I can.

Again, thanks for all the different views, positive or negative.

Deleted
    As the title says, I've heard of people that ( when a new xpac comes out) they level cap the toon of their choice, max all that toons professions, and then unsub until the last raid patch. Not the prepatch for the next expac, but the one right before it. By resubbing at that time, they take full advantage of the catchups in place, see the content, and avoid most of the grind. I'm thinking of doing something similar:

level 1 toon on each faction ( probly my Belfdh and my draenei spriest) to 110 and max all their profs, primary and secondary

do Loremaster and all the exploration achieves 1 time on each of the toons, for the full view from both sides

at last raid patch, resub, pick a toon (probly the spriest, my first toon), finish the rest of broken isles pathfinder, use available catchups to gear him, do all lfr/lfd bosses available at that time ( that I havent already done) at least once.

repeat on my dh

Anybody thats tried something like this care to comment? I'm thinking of playing the holy fudge out of Secret World and DCUO through the middle of legion before i resub at the end

The problem then is that you are experiencing many of the raids at a very easy difficulty, because so many people are overgeared. Might as well just do LFR if you wanna avoid the grind.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meagree View Post
    Wait, you're talking about auto quests, but you still somehow don't understand how he turned them in? There's many quests, I'd wager hundreds, that you turn in from your character regardless of where you are. The majority of dungeon quests are this way since Cataclysm.

I stand corrected. Normally they are part of a chain and you still have to turn the final part into a quest giver. I assumed they were all like this.

If you do not enjoy games based around lore, story telling etc. and are just looking for a simple no energy time game maybe WoW is not for you.

Why stop there? Why not just skip all expansions until the very last one. Then all the leveling xp needs from the previous expansions will be nerfed and you'll benefit EVEN MORE!

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

repeat on my dh

I don't think that most people go into an expansion with the plan to not play it, I think that most people just play until they get bored, unsub, and come back when they want. I have been doing it since WotLK ended. I can't understand how so many people can sit around and do the exact same content for over a year, and not go insane.

So, honestly if you are planning on not playing the expansion, why even think about it? Just don't play the expansion, and when you feel like playing again, resub. Catch up mechanics are nice to have, but they are irrelevant if you aren't using them to do the content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mhdoe View Post
    If you do not enjoy games based around lore, story telling etc. and are just looking for a simple no energy time game maybe WoW is not for you.
    Wow based around....ARE YIU JOKING!!!!!!????

That Saud what he us describing is the simplest way to see the games lore

OP is fine. OP will have plenty of fun.

Everything that Blizzard thinks they can do to lengthen the grind they can't actually do. Nobody cares any longer. And even if they manage to do some of it, you'll have about two years to the next expansion to get everything you may want out of Legion anyway.

Don't listen to the WoW addicts in this thread. I've been buying expansions late at deep discount, buying time with tokens, getting everything I want when its easier and less tedious by far, get my flight when its actually available, level my alts or not as I choose, etc.

I'm really not trying to be provocative, but this thread is like entering a shooting gallery and talking about how you are only going to do a little heroine and not get hooked. Of course every junky around you thinks you are bananas: "See you next month..." and "Can I haz ur stuffz?" because that's what they are trapped within. They literally can't see the forest for the trees, or in this case the "fun" of playing because all they understand is their duty to the game or a guild or raiding or whatever...somehow WoW matters to them like a wife or maybe more than that even.

Folks like OP and I can just play for fun and not get hooked.
    Last edited by Louisa Bannon; 2016-08-20 at 05:29 AM.

why resub on the last raid patch when you can just stay unsubbed and wait for the next expac for even better gear? why resub in that expac and just wait for the next one?

you stop playing because you've seen wow for what it is. a catch-up game

I play with my RL friends, and that is what makes WoW rock. The best part of the game at least IMHO.

If you can let it go so easily, it sounds like you aren't engaged in the game - while I hate to council people to quit, I have to wonder if that may be the best course?

The books I love are the ones where I'm so caught up in the story that I keep reading one more page... and so on until it is 3AM...and then it's holy crap time to go to bed! Books that are easy to put down and hard to pick up - well i rarely finish them.

As with most things YMMV, and if you're enjoying the game, keep on playing and I guess we'll see you in a few months.