Page 1 of 3
LastLast

IPS really worth it?

I've been deciding whether to get a U2414H. But is IPS really worth it? Large amounts of glow, mediocre blacks, mediocre response. I usually just watch shows and play WoW/Hearthstone. I occasionally play Overwatch but not a hardcore fpser so I don't really need a 144hz. What do you guys think or recommend as alternatives?

Deleted
    worth is relative.

just ask yourself how much time each day you are using that monitor. If your answer scares you then you should pay a lot for a good monitor to reduce eye strain.

Depends on what you prefer. I dont really care about blacks but cant stand motion blur. I would say get a VA panel but their response times are even worse than IPS.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Depends on what you prefer. I dont really care about blacks but cant stand motion blur. I would say get a VA panel but their response times are even worse than IPS.
    I seem to recall very very recently, @Artorius or @Remilia or both of them were telling you or someone else, that this is misinformation pretty much. VA panels are pretty close to IPS, depending on the ones you're looking at. OLD VA is slow, but so is IPS, I suppose it depends how much you're willing to pay.

And honestly, response times usually doesn't affect just about anyone except for people actually competitively gaming FOR MONEY. Sooo...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Sonatine185 View Post
    I've been deciding whether to get a U2414H. But is IPS really worth it? Large amounts of glow, mediocre blacks, mediocre response. I usually just watch shows and play WoW/Hearthstone. I occasionally play Overwatch but not a hardcore fpser so I don't really need a 144hz. What do you guys think or recommend as alternatives?
    I have a 4k TN at home, and dual 4k IPS at work. I honestly cant tell a difference, but i'm by no means a monitor snob. I think my games look great when I tested both side by side before decided which stayed.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I seem to recall very very recently, @Artorius or @Remilia or both of them were telling you or someone else, that this is misinformation pretty much. VA panels are pretty close to IPS, depending on the ones you're looking at. OLD VA is slow, but so is IPS, I suppose it depends how much you're willing to pay.

And honestly, response times usually doesn't affect just about anyone except for people actually competitively gaming FOR MONEY. Sooo...
    They were talking about color reproduction, which you can talk all day about but one look is enough to tell the difference.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

It's the slowest. Typical IPS is 8ms, typical VA is 10ms, but Sharp and Innolux is around 6ms g2g typical TN is around 3-4ms without heavy overdrive artifacts. That said, motion blur for LCDs and OLEDs are caused more by sample and hold than they are caused by pixel response time.

Old VAs actually had the fastest response time compared to TN and IPS back in the day. It's just they couldn't really push it lower some reason.

It's a personal thing I guess, I have an IPS monitor for gaming and an old TN monitor for just secondary browsing. The colors are miles apart and I value graphics and color depth highly in my games, so for me it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

not the IPS i was thinking of...

someday, computer people will stop coming up with the same short form names for the different things (and no, i was not thinking IPs)

10+ Year Old Account
    U2414H is actually a low glow panel. Low or no glow IPS(type) monitors that are in the wild are Eizo EV2450, Dell U2414H or Eizo EV2736W (no glow).
    That said 'large' is a bit of an overexaggeration and people confuse IPS glow and backlight bleed a large amount of time.

Only LCD panel you're going to get better blacks is VA panels. TNs aren't going to be any better in terms of black depth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    It's a personal thing I guess, I have an IPS monitor for gaming and an old TN monitor for just secondary browsing. The colors are miles apart and I value graphics and color depth highly in my games, so for me it's worth it.
    Take any two modern IPS and TN there's going to be no difference. Old TN panels were 6bit though these days they can operate in either 6bit+FRC or 8bit, just like IPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    not the IPS i was thinking of...

someday, computer people will stop coming up with the same short form names for the different things (and no, i was not thinking IPs)
    In-plane Switching, hence IPS.

What do you guys think of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC24F...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Its a new curved 24" monitor from Samsung. It uses VA panels and claims 4ms. IPS seems to be hit or miss.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Its a new curved 24" monitor from Samsung. It uses VA panels and claims 4ms. IPS seems to be hit or miss.
    I think curved is pretty unnecessary for a 24", however, I have the 34" curved S34E790C (think I got that right) also VA... absolutely wonderful. Will be hard for me to find a better monitor out there...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account

Ignore pixel response numbers. They're usually very selective in one transition with high overdrive which presents overdrive artifact which are less pleasant than the pixel transition.

In general I ignore Samsung low ends, prad.de really finds em mediocre for the price and their tests shows so. There really aren't that many reviews of VA monitors in general.

I love my Acer XB270HU's, but they're not exactly cheap.

Visually they blow my old BenQ XL2420T's away though. The color and blacks on the Acer are ridiculously nice.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I love my Acer XB270HU's, but they're not exactly cheap.

Visually they blow my old BenQ XL2420T's away though. The color and blacks on the Acer are ridiculously nice.
    Fun part is that the blacks aren't that much better. XL2420T has about 900:1 XB270HU is about 1000:1 in practice. Might sound a lot in %, but an FG2421 has about 5000:1 in practice. That said, XL2420T's factory calibration wasn't great but if you calibrate them and they're both the same you won't be noticing much of any difference. When color accuracy / white point are both calibrated to the same, the only thing that separates them are saturation and panel characteristics, the former varying model to model and factory calibration and the latter pretty static for the most part.

/shrug

I'm looking at them both right now side by side (well above and below)
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

IPS has better viewing angles, and tends to have more vivid color. I use an Asus P238QR ProArt series IPS display and I think its way better than any LN display I have ever used, it also help a bit with my color blindness in that it allows me to see more color than I other wise can compared to an LN display.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    They were talking about color reproduction, which you can talk all day about but one look is enough to tell the difference.
    Meters and actual numbers matter more than your eyes. All three major LCD panel types can cover the sRGB colorspace, this isn't a panel type problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    I have a 4k TN at home, and dual 4k IPS at work. I honestly cant tell a difference, but i'm by no means a monitor snob. I think my games look great when I tested both side by side before decided which stayed.
    And they shouldn't really look different unless you're looking at them from weird angles. IPS's strength over TN is in off-axis performance.

What people describe as better or worse is highly tied to the calibration of the monitor itself rather than panel type deficiency. Comparing a shit TN to an expensive IPS and saying that IPS is "worlds apart" is misleading, and sadly that's what most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Ignore pixel response numbers. They're usually very selective in one transition with high overdrive which presents overdrive artifact which are less pleasant than the pixel transition.

In general I ignore Samsung low ends, prad.de really finds em mediocre for the price and their tests shows so. There really aren't that many reviews of VA monitors in general.
    I think BenQ and Samsung use a lot of VA panels and surprisingly BenQ monitors are very highly if not the highest rated brand overall based on Amazon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think BenQ and Samsung use a lot of VA panels and surprisingly BenQ monitors are very highly if not the highest rated brand overall based on Amazon.
    That's cause they're the few VA manufacturers (as in the ones that manufacture the panels, BenQ owns AUO). Amazon reviews are pretty... pointless. There's not a whole lot of VA reviews all in all. Prad.de/tftcentral.co.uk don't really have a lot of reviews on them, and the ones that are tend to be Samsung monitors and perform rather mediocrely and BenQ ones are awol some reason.i