Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    We would die.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I think there would be crushing gravity even if you werent actually under any rocks.
    Actually, it would be the opposite. Well, pressure would be high, true, you would have to deal with 6,000+ km extra and condensed air column. But the gravity near the center depends on the distance from it roughly linearly, and at the very center it is 0. You could make very long jumps there, and it would feel really weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Would be a great spot for a BBQ.

A HUMAN BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    I don't know if that'S the truth but I am sure those actions would destroy our planet. GG greed, you have finally done it.
    That's how they explain it in Man of Steel anyway...too much reckless mining of the core.

We'd find trolls.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    The pressure would collapse it with magma...
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Dude, let deathwing sleep in peace.

But jokes asside:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_drilling

We would just find a lot of different ores and then magma, I doubt anything would happen to the planet.

The hole would be 2 feet deep because the world is flat.

Didn't we already do this in the documentary film called The Core?
    Last edited by Glnger; 2016-08-19 at 08:08 PM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account

We already know how to get there.

Edit: see poster above
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

We would find the Morlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Dude, let deathwing sleep in peace.

But jokes asside:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_drilling

We would just find a lot of different ores and then magma, I doubt anything would happen to the planet.
    Well, magma chambers of volcanoes are roughly 10-20 km deep. If we were to drill a hole over 6,000 km in depth, all the way to the core, then I would expect an extinction event due to insane volcanic eruption.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Aside of pressure and heat, drilling that deep is giong to be impossible for several other reasons:
    1st - there is nothing to drill. At temperatures of 6000C iron planet core behaves like liquid (though considered solid state because of pressure). It would be gaseous actually (2900C is needed for that at sea level), but 3.6m atmospheres of pressure keep it from that.
    2nd - The core and surrounding magma actually rotates. That is what keeps Earth's magnetic field on (that and cooling). So it is like passing through molten iron that tries to evaporate, is solid dence despite that and actually tries to twist your drill equipment around the axis of it's rotation

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Well, magma chambers of volcanoes are roughly 10-20 km deep. If we were to drill a hole over 6,000 km in depth, all the way to the core, then I would expect an extinction event due to insane volcanic eruption.
    I am not a physicist, but I don't think it would happen in those extreme conditions, it is not a simple scenario like making a hole in a air filled ball. The "walls" would be liquid, dispersing the pressure a little, the air pressure itself would be far greater, heck, at that scenario even gravity would be lacking.

Why don't we just nuke she shit out of Mars or Venus and use satelites to examine what gets ejected out
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    I am not a physicist, but I don't think it would happen in those extreme conditions, it is not a simple scenario like making a hole in a air filled ball. The "walls" would be liquid, dispersing the pressure a little, the air pressure itself would be far greater, heck, at that scenario even gravity would be lacking.
    The thing is, currently, to my understanding, the only thing that counters the extreme magma pressure under the surface is the thick crust. When this crust is pierced by a small narrow path even just by 10 km, we have a regularly erupting volcano; but under the "bottom" of this volcano, there is equilibrium between the magma and the crust pushing from the top, and magma pushing back from the bottom.

Wherever we start drilling, there is also an equilibrium. If we drill all the way to the liquified magma, the equilibrium will be broken, and the magma will erupt through the whole with incredible speed. The further to the core we drill, the more this equilibrium will be violated. I'd imagine that if we drill deep enough, then magma pouring out through the whole would gradually increase the size of this whole, and eventually we would have a "mega-volcano" leaking magma all over the planet's surface, until equilibrium is achieved once more - which might be late enough for the life to have been wiped out completely.

Of course, I might be wrong; I can't say I am an expert on the conditions under Earth's surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    Didn't we already do this in the documentary film called The Core?
    Rofl, I was gonna say this. That super submarine was pretty fucking sweet, I want to go down there and get me a diamond the size of Texas.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I enjoy thinking that Jules Verne was close to the mark.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    You'll find china

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    Why don't we just nuke she shit out of Mars or Venus and use satelites to examine what gets ejected out
    It's like saying that we didn't know what a baby development was like until rcently, when '' EVERYBODY " in the past knew than humans' babies = every other species babies and because of cannibalism and war, cutting those bellies...