Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What SSD do you have and did you optimize it? This is mine.

SSD 530 intel, and ya intel ssd toolbox optimises it once per week. Also 3.5gb per second write? uh wut?

- - - Updated - - -

Tried the secure erase, the drive is running faster but I still get these spikes on WoW, more frequent then before, probs opt to buy a new SSD and try and see if I can get a replacement through warranty. If anyone has any ideas left im more then willing to try tho. Also tried different sata cable and slots on the mobo.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-08-18 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    SSD 530 intel, and ya intel ssd toolbox optimises it once per week. Also 3.5gb per second write? uh wut?
    It's what the benchmark read it as yes.
    Are you getting the lag spikes when zoning into different zones like from Ironforge to Khranos or any one city into another?

If I'm not mistaken, your gameperformance doesn't depend on your storage. Having WoW on an SSD will improve load times initially but dropping frames in-game shouldn't be affected as data is moved to your RAM.

Deleted
    If anyone has any ideas left im more then willing to try tho. Also tried different sata cable and slots on the mobo.

Not sure it will be helpful. But, you could try and install https://camwebapp.com/ Go in force the error, a few times if possible, and check to see if you can find anything in the HDD info.

If you don't know the program it's super easy and provides you with a nice amount of information about your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, your gameperformance doesn't depend on your storage. Having WoW on an SSD will improve load times initially but dropping frames in-game shouldn't be affected as data is moved to your RAM.
    I would suggest reading the first post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tweekzlol View Post
    Not sure it will be helpful. But, you could try and install https://camwebapp.com/ Go in force the error, a few times if possible, and check to see if you can find anything in the HDD info.

If you don't know the program it's super easy and provides you with a nice amount of information about your computer.
    I'll have a look at that, thank you.

Small update: I found a easier way to test, forcing one of the cinematics to play through the garrison. They will randomly stutter. I looked at resource monitor and everytime it stutters the quetime on my ssd goes up to 0.17/0.19seconds for the same period of time as the freeze itself. Outside of that the quetime is at 0.00.

The odd thing is, nothing else is using my SSD according to resource monitor, its just system and wow-64.exe reading random data files in the data folder. Basicly everytime it has to load anything from the data, it being npc lines, loot tooltips, a new spell cast it can framespike. I put the priority on the process to above normal and it happens less frequently altho not compeltely gone. Currently contimplating installing windows 7 to see if it still happens then.

Also made a topic here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-30euros-more

Incase I wanna get a upgrade, if anyone has any input.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-08-19 at 01:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's what the benchmark read it as yes.
    There is definitely something wrong with that benchmark. The bandwidth throughput of a SATA 3 port is only 600MB/s. 850 EVOs are usually around 500MB/s sequential reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    There is definitely something wrong with that benchmark. The bandwidth throughput of a SATA 3 port is only 600MB/s. 850 EVOs are usually around 500MB/s sequential reads.
    It's most likely an M.2 drive (driver detects it as SCSI).
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's most likely an M.2 drive (driver detects it as SCSI).
    Anandtech still has the m.2 sequential speeds at 540MB/s, which is a far cry from nearly 6600MB/s.

Edit: Also, m.2's max theoretical bandwidth is just under 1200MB/s.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2016-08-19 at 04:23 PM.

Samsung's Magician Software has a "Rapid Mode" feature. It uses the system RAM as additional cache, which will drastically affect benchmarking. Their fasted M.2 drive is roughly 2.5GB/s read, 1.5GB/s write. If he has OC'd memory, chances are that it and Rapid Mode are what's giving those speeds.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01639694M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by Kancel; 2016-08-19 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Corrected speed, added link to referenced M.2 drive

Yeah there's 0 chance that's an accurate benchmark. You're FAR over even the theoretical limits of not only SATA3 but m.2 drives as well. Probably a RAM drive.

Anandtech still has the m.2 sequential speeds at 540MB/s, which is a far cry from nearly 6600MB/s.

Edit: Also, m.2's max theoretical bandwidth is just under 1200MB/s.
    M.2 is a form factor, not an interface and an M.2 drive can be SATA or NVMe for the interface.

A SATA M.2 will have all the limitations and characteristics of any other drive hooked up to a SATA interface.

A NVMe drive's max speed though is considerably higher than 1,200MB/s. It is dependent on the number of PCIe lanes allocated, most are 4 lanes, but older ones may have only 2. The throughput on a Gen 3 PCIe lane is 1GB/s, so a x4 lane drive has a theoretical max of 4 GB/s. Most currently cap out at around 2,500-3,000 read and about 1k-2k write.

@Nuckels: Try reinserting the entire SSD to a different slot with a different SATA cable in your case. Could be a HW problem.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see you tried it already.

After everything you done, it looks like the SSD is the problem. Try making a complaint or just buy a new one.
    Last edited by Mahcake; 2016-08-19 at 08:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering what's been tried and drivers being installed it indicates 1 of 2 possible things:

1: The OS is somehow messing up with the SSD, SSD may need a newer firmware if available or try a different OS (Win 10 -> Win 7 f.ex.)
    2: The SSD's controller is glitching, in which case the SSD is borked regardless.

You tried moving it to different slots and you Secure Erased it and you tried different cables.

You have no other "options" left... It's either the OS mucking it up which a F/W update may fix of the SSD or another OS might work.
    Or more likely the SSD's controller is having fits in which case only an RMA is possible.

So you either try installing 7 with the same set of Chipset drivers and Rapid Storage Technology and see if it does the same thing to rule out software or you assume fault immediately and just apply for RMA directly.

Considering that you've secure erased the drive and reinstalled Windows 10 before I would suggest doing the same with Windows 7 and check.
    Quickest, easiest and least roundabout way to do things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    M.2 is a form factor, not an interface and an M.2 drive can be SATA or NVMe for the interface.

A SATA M.2 will have all the limitations and characteristics of any other drive hooked up to a SATA interface.

A NVMe drive's max speed though is considerably higher than 1,200MB/s. It is dependent on the number of PCIe lanes allocated, most are 4 lanes, but older ones may have only 2. The throughput on a Gen 3 PCIe lane is 1GB/s, so a x4 lane drive has a theoretical max of 4 GB/s. Most currently cap out at around 2,500-3,000 read and about 1k-2k write.
    You are correct. My numbers were out of date. Mine were using dual lane, rather than 4 lanes, and I believe PCIe 2.0 also.

In any case, the numbers are stink wonky in that benchmark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or it's just a wow issue with the patch and has nothing to do with your SSD.

Pretty sure this has been an issue for a number of people since the patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    Or it's just a wow issue with the patch and has nothing to do with your SSD.

Pretty sure this has been an issue for a number of people since the patch.
    That's not a possibility unless WoW somehow overrides and ignores all of the Operating System's driver locks and HAL and accesses the SSD directly.
    I don't see Blizzard doing that, besides I've got several people of which all of them play WoW that have an Intel 530 SSD and none of them have the described issue.

WoW continually streams data from the SSD to do whatever with where most Single Player games all load it up front so this behaviour can be indicative of the controller starting to "spaz" at times from continuous requests.
    It does the same with a magnetic drive and they are magnitudes slower and the OP does not have an issue with that.

I'll try windows 7 after the weekend and if that doesn't work I'll get a new SSD and RMA this one. I wanted another to just use for my games anyway altho from a financial perspective this is far from ideal.

Some more input on what ssd to get be appreciated: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-30euros-more

I wanna make sure I get a decent one as I don't wanna end up having to buy another anytime soon. (I get things can always break tho.)

Edit: For the sake of science I decided to test it with diablo 3 btw as it uses the same mpqdata file structure and it has the same problem. When certain things load it'll framespike. Can't think of any other game/program I can test it with that isn't a huge DL tho.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-08-19 at 10:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll try windows 7 after the weekend and if that doesn't work I'll get a new SSD and RMA this one. I wanted another to just use for my games anyway altho from a financial perspective this is far from ideal.

Some more input on what ssd to get be appreciated: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-30euros-more

I wanna make sure I get a decent one as I don't wanna end up having to buy another anytime soon. (I get things can always break tho.)

Edit: For the sake of science I decided to test it with diablo 3 btw as it uses the same mpqdata file structure and it has the same problem. When certain things load it'll framespike. Can't think of any other game/program I can test it with that isn't a huge DL tho.
    My recommendation for SSDs is either Intel with an actual Intel controller (or modified Marvel) or Crucial MX series or finally the Samsung 850 EVO/Pro series.
    Personally my preference goes out to Crucial MX200 series even over the MX300 series due to MLC NAND vs. TLC NAND.

The Intel ones that are proper are often far too expensive and Samsung's drives ... well let's just say that my anecdotal experience with them hasn't been great in either consumer or business environments where all the crucial drives I've used so far are still functioning and kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    My recommendation for SSDs is either Intel with an actual Intel controller (or modified Marvel) or Crucial MX series or finally the Samsung 850 EVO/Pro series.
    Personally my preference goes out to Crucial MX200 series even over the MX300 series due to MLC NAND vs. TLC NAND.

The Intel ones that are proper are often far too expensive and Samsung's drives ... well let's just say that my anecdotal experience with them hasn't been great in either consumer or business environments where all the crucial drives I've used so far are still functioning and kicking ass.
    I will look in to that, thank you for the detailed post <3