Looking for help for a new build

Heya, looking for some help for a new build. Thanks for any and all help.

Budget: $1000-1800
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired: Legion, Overwatch, FFXIV
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Yeah, sometimes photoshop or recording my gameplay.
    Parts that can be reused: No
    Do you need an OS?: Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? : I have a monitor, but I would need another monitor and a monitor stand.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.69 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.82 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.99 @ NCIX US)
    Other: Windows 10 - Kinguin.net ($28.00)
    Total: $1253.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-19 08:41 EDT-0400

What is your current monitor and want kind of monitor setup you have in mind? I.e. identical side by side, side one for browsing while gaming, etc.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-08-19 at 12:42 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    thunderball why do you alwasy suggest diffrent parts? serious question no trolling. dont you have personal favorits?

i like that build you did. but i would suggest the OP to go with fractal r4/r5 case + some extra fans and with the scyte mugen 4 or noctua cpu cooler.

you build is under the budget from op, so there is some money left. i would recomment to use a WB black Hdd not blue. Black should live a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    thunderball why do you alwasy suggest diffrent parts? serious question no trolling. dont you have personal favorits?

i like that build you did. but i would suggest the OP to go with fractal r4/r5 case + some extra fans and with the scyte mugen 4 or noctua cpu cooler.

you build is under the budget from op, so there is some money left. i would recomment to use a WB black Hdd not blue. Black should live a little longer.
    What kind of different parts? I usually suggest very similar builds, US and EU build will look different though because of prices.

R5 is $100 and doesnt really have anything going for it. P400/S340 are fine for most users but I will recommend Enthoo Pro M sometimes when there is budget (it can fit bigger coolers).

Blues will generally live longer because it's a low power version. Blacks are designed as system drives, and this role is dedicated to SSDs. No reason to get Black as a secondary drive, it's also more expensive.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

Blues will generally live longer because it's a low power version. Blacks are designed as system drives, and this role is dedicated to SSDs. No reason to get Black as a secondary drive, it's also more expensive.
    you might be right about that thunderball... the lower power thing makes sense. i was told form the nerd people of my pc store (know them for years) black will live longer. perhaps they are wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    you might be right about that thunderball... the lower power thing makes sense. i was told form the nerd people of my pc store (know them for years) black will live longer. perhaps they are wrong.
    Blacks actually live longer in general due to the small but present hardware differences. (dual actuators, higher quality motor etc.)
    The Blacks are meant to be the best desktop drives on the market in general and they are but they also command a higher price.
    You do get 5 years of 0 questions asked RMA policy from WD though which generally responds quicker than other brands.

It being low power or not is completely irrelevant as that would mean the WD Caviar Green would be the longest survivor...
    That's not the case.

That said a Black for storage purposes (I do it as well) should only be done if you have the money to spare and you want the best.
    Otherwise stick with whatever you find acceptable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Blacks actually live longer in general due to the small but present hardware differences. (dual actuators, higher quality motor etc.)
    The Blacks are meant to be the best desktop drives on the market in general and they are but they also command a higher price.
    You do get 5 years of 0 questions asked RMA policy from WD though which generally responds quicker than other brands.

It being low power or not is completely irrelevant as that would mean the WD Caviar Green would be the longest survivor...
    That's not the case.

That said a Black for storage purposes (I do it as well) should only be done if you have the money to spare and you want the best.
    Otherwise stick with whatever you find acceptable.
    so if money is no problem you would say black > blue?

15+ Year Old Account
    so if money is no problem you would say black > blue?
    If money was no objection or if you're like me and you just want the best of the best then yes you should go Black.
    Do not that if you have a cheap or non-silenced case the Black WILL be more audible.

Blue is also a good drive no doubt about that but there's no question that the Black is the superior drive on all fronts.

Deleted
    If money was no objection or if you're like me and you just want the best of the best then yes you should go Black.
    Do not that if you have a cheap or non-silenced case the Black WILL be more audible.

Blue is also a good drive no doubt about that but there's no question that the Black is the superior drive on all fronts.
    thanks for your answer! i got a black in my gameing pc. i read something that black is the best. but some guys here say it isnt.
    i am glad you say the same like i tought.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for your answer! i got a black in my gameing pc. i read something that black is the best. but some guys here say it isnt.
    i am glad you say the same like i tought.
    The difference in price compared to the blue is too much to warrant its purchase, that's its main issue, especially if it doesn't offer anything that is much more significant in comparison.

A 1TB Black drive will have slower throughput than a 1TB Blue...

Why? Areal density.... Black drives use 500GB platters (2 in the case of a 1TB model) Blue drives use 1TB platters. Higher area density, higher throughput.

"But Black drives are the best performers" , do you think the snake oil salesman is going to tell you his "cure" also destroys your liver... (an analogy)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored Dirtyword View Post
    A 1TB Black drive will have slower throughput than a 1TB Blue...

Why? Areal density.... Black drives use 500GB platters (2 in the case of a 1TB model) Blue drives use 1TB platters. Higher area density, higher throughput.

"But Black drives are the best performers" , do you think the snake oil salesman is going to tell you his "cure" also destroys your liver... (an analogy)
    Except that the Black 1TB has been a single 1TB platter since the WD1003FZEX series... which has been since Jan 2014.
    Blue adopted that tech afterwards.

Blacks also have considerably faster random seek IO vs. blue as well... so yeah a 1TB WD Black drive is faster than blue.
    Not to mention longer lifespan, vibration resistance, warranty etc.

But no sure... the blue is better than black, let's go with that.

Except that the Black 1TB has been a single 1TB platter since the WD1003FZEX series... which has been since Jan 2014.
    Blue adopted that tech afterwards.

Blacks also have considerably faster random seek IO vs. blue as well... so yeah a 1TB WD Black drive is faster than blue.
    Not to mention longer lifespan, vibration resistance, warranty etc.

But no sure... the blue is better than black, let's go with that.
    I see that in a tech sheet. Nice to see they are keeping the areal density.. Advantage BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    What is your current monitor and want kind of monitor setup you have in mind? I.e. identical side by side, side one for browsing while gaming, etc.
    Sorry for the late response been busy.

My current monitor is a Acer G236HL Bbd 23-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (I just copied that from amazon since I can't post links). I just want them side by side, and I want the new monitor for mostly gaming while keeping my current one for browsing the internet, doing work, etc.

Question why an i5 over an i7?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Sorry for the late response been busy.

My current monitor is a Acer G236HL Bbd 23-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (I just copied that from amazon since I can't post links). I just want them side by side, and I want the new monitor for mostly gaming while keeping my current one for browsing the internet, doing work, etc.

Question why an i5 over an i7?
    You can get it but it will be mostly a waste with your tasks.

https://www.amazon.com/DS100-Dual-Mo...dp/B000SUM0L4/ Stand.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LVV4...monitor-pb278q Monitor.