Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    It's just a sign of respect I guess that is a foreign concept to the Dutch.
    Oh you silly 'muricans.

You seem a tad salty about people from other countries not being very patriotic, and thus finding it salty.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2016-08-19 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    That's a lot of me-me-me for a post that declares the irrelevance of your experience.
    That's because I like to make it clear that it is just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to put it as some kind of objective truth. What does it have to do with my experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Oh you silly 'muricans.

You seem a tad salty about people from other countries not being very patriotic, and thus finding it salty.
    Of course you can't be as good as us here in the US, you're not ejaculating patriotism all over everything from flags, to eagles, to camouflage uniforms. I bet you don't even freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    yes I have and after reading through it several times now there is one person saying otherwise and many many more saying they treat it just like you said you do, but whatever you have to make sure everyone knows your country is better then the US by calling us a bunch of patriotic rednecks, makes perfect sense.

that's some fucking irony right there
    You seem to be pretty sensitive about having a global stereotype that implies your country is over-patriotic.

I never once called anyone a redneck.

You're projecting.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    That's because I like to make it clear that it is just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to put it as some kind of objective truth. What does it have to do with my experience?
    That you're not "putting things in perspective", but simply describing your experience, or lack thereof, with patriotism.

I can put your terrible wipe this evening that left you without a will to eat dinner in perspective: by comparing it to any ill on the world (like starving kids in Africa). That gives a clearer picture of the world, and can easily dwarf your pain. It puts sentiments in perspective (my ability to use a fair example is what would compel you to eat dinner).
    Your exercise doesn't. It's just one extra data point. Which I welcome, mind you. I don't hold much of those sentiments, but I live in a plurinational country, so I can easily find and explore many different iterations on these ideas and sentiments.

Your exercise, however, deliberately ignores that a few places on Earth are very far from developing any world citizen sentiment. It's a bit of a thing in the west and that's about it. So, like I said, you're describing your experience and pretending your perspective to align with the rest of the world.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-08-20 at 12:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Perhaps you're bitter. If you were born in the USA, the GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH, you'd be more in favor of patriotism!
    Can't even tell if sarcasm.

I'll stand unless me legs are sore. Not much of a singer.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

just dont do what roseanne barr did, thats BAD anthem ettiquete.

Can't even tell if sarcasm.
    I don't even know anymore. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    That you're not "putting things in perspective", but simply describing your experience, or lack thereof, with patriotism.

I can put your terrible wipe this evening that left you without a will to eat dinner in perspective: by comparing it to any ill on the world (like starving kids in Africa). That gives a clearer picture of the world, and can easily dwarf your pain. It puts sentiments in perspective (my ability to use a fair example is what would compel you to eat dinner).
    Your exercise doesn't. It's just one extra data point. Which I welcome, mind you. I don't hold much of those sentiments, but I live in a plurinational country, so I can easily find and explore many different iterations on these ideas and sentiments.

Your exercise, however, deliberately ignores that a few places on Earth are very far from developing any world citizen sentiment. It's a bit of a thing in the west and that's about it. So, like I said, you're describing your experience and pretending your perspective to align with the rest of the world.
    Are you just making up stuff about me now for fun, or are you going to write a commercial biography?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Oh you silly 'muricans.

Nope, I couldn't give a shit less how patriotic you are. Nothing salty from anything I said at all I am more than aware people from other countries do show respect to their country and I guess I'm just trying to point out the fact that respect is not an American concept it's pretty universal. Perhaps you should try it sometime, That and if anything you have said bothers me it's the murican's shit unless you want me to start using derogatory terms for the dutch and I am sure there are plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Patriotism isn't defined entirely by a person dropping what they're doing because a song started playing.
    No, but it is defined by honoring the nation of which you are a part of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Nope, I couldn't give a shit less how patriotic you are. Nothing salty from anything I said at all I am more than aware people from other countries do show respect to their country and I guess I'm just trying to point out the fact that respect is not an American concept it's pretty universal. Perhaps you should try it sometime, That and if anything you have said bothers me it's the murican's shit unless you want me to start using derogatory terms for the dutch and I am sure there are plenty.
    Okay, I get it, you don't know the difference between patriotism and respect.

p.s, no what Americans do with the anthem is not normal in a lot of other countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Same thing in Canada. My school would always play it to commence the school day. If you were in the hall you were supposed to stop instead of making your way to class.

I think it's probably the biggest load of crap, because education > standing like a fool over a song that didn't even include the lyrics. However if I was at a stadium I would because odds are someone would take offence and I'd much rather waste 2 minutes than deal with some half-drunk individual telling me to have some respect.
    That education is being provided by the country that song is honoring. I feel immense pride when hearing the Antehm of the USA and a great deal of camaraderie when hearing the Anthem of Canada. Being from Upstate NY we almost always play both anthems at every sporting event.

"And now please rise and remove your hats as we honor our friends from the north with the Canadian National Anthem."

So please. Show some respect for the country you are receiving that education from by being on time and being at attention for the anthem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    That education is being provided by the country that song is honoring. I feel immense pride when hearing the Antehm of the USA and a great deal of camaraderie when hearing the Anthem of Canada. Being from Upstate NY we almost always play both anthems at every sporting event.

"And now please rise and remove your hats as we honor our friends from the north with the Canadian National Anthem."

So please. Show some respect for the country you are receiving that education from by being on time and being at attention for the anthem.
    Maybe it is none of your business who shows respect to what and in what way? I show respect to things through my actions, not through standing like an idiot when a piece of music is being played.

Maybe it is none of your business who shows respect to what and in what way? I show respect to things through my actions, not through standing like an idiot when a piece of music is being played.
    Do you show respect at a funeral by talking loudly while someone gives a eulogy? Do you show respect to other people by slapping their hand when they offer to shake yours? No because that's not how it works.

If you don't want to stand there for the anthem then freedom of speech says you don't have to, but it is considered respectful to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Do you show respect at a funeral by talking loudly while someone gives a eulogy? Do you show respect to other people by slapping their hand when they offer to shake yours? No because that's not how it works.

If you don't want to stand there for the anthem then freedom of speech says you don't have to, but it is considered respectful to do so.
    Interrupting an individual, who is actually talking and can hear you interrupting them is not the same as music being played by a CD over a loudspeaker. Same as not shaking someone's hand is showing disrespect because you can actually see and interact with them.

Or I guess we can all shun Howie Mandel for his fist bump, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post

I don't attend events like funerals; I don't see the point. I shake people's hands, yes, because it is an integral part of human communication.

I don't mind people who show their respect to the country by standing silently when the anthem is being played. What I do mind is this anthem being forced on me. I've come to watch a sports events, not to listen to the anthem. If they think it is "disrespectful" for me to ignore the anthem, then it is their problem.

I guarantee that if you go to an actual U.S. sporting event, when the anthem comes on you'll still see people buying hotdogs

this stuff is basically the junior version of all the rules surrounding care of flags, which everybody not on active duty also constantly ignores

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Except that is an action that shows respect? Not sure what your point was with this comment...