Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

BC Nostalgia Hype-and-Switch, Reloaded?

Since the Gamescom 7.1 news I have to say I have a Star Wars "bad feeling about this". They're playing to BC nostalgia again. Planning content that allows hyping things up like a return to WoW's glory days when the actual product may be nothing of the sort.

The pitch: "Legion: ILLIDAN! Burning Legion! Demon Hunters! Karazhan!"

Actual product: Garrisons 2.0, non-endgame content that lasts a week, LFR treadmill, classes and gear and game systems simplified ad absurdum, etc...

Are my fears misplaced? I've not played the beta.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    Since the Gamescom 7.1 news I have to say I have a Star Wars "bad feeling about this". They're playing to BC nostalgia again. Planning content that allows hyping things up like a return to WoW's glory days when the actual product may be nothing of the sort.

Actual product: Garrisons 2.0, non-endgame content that lasts a week, LFR treadmill, classes and gear and game systems simplified ad absurdum, etc...

Some yes and some no, garrisons 2.0 is a real concern IMO, LFR treadmill as well, and then yes classes are overly simplified. But classes were simple in the "glory days" too. I wish classes were more complex though. However, gearing isnt really simplified, world-quests and mythic+ will be important even for end game for a decent amount of time at least. The thing I am most worried about is the reliance on RNG heavy loot.

Have played both TBC, beginning through Kil'Jaden, and Legion Beta. Your fears are misplaced.

7+ Year Old Account

ohhh boy... time to rip this apart...

1. bc nostalgia? ehh... only thing from "BC" is illidan, and its good to see him get his story brought back, cause BC BUTCHERED his story...

2. bc was not wow's glory days, if anything wotlk is the glory days, bc was still a very much broken game...

3. yeah? illidan, a guy who we have wanted redeemed for 9 years, burning legion a villian we have been begging to have back for 9 years, demon hunters, a class we have been begging for 12 years, karazhan, a raid people have wanted to do more/see the crypts for 9 years

4. garrisons 2.0.... PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT AHAHAHAHAHAHAH ha.. you must be a heelvsbabyface fan..., endgame content that lasts a week? how so? lfr treadmill.... again how so!? w...classes i understand, but gear is becoming even cooler then before, were getting dungeon sets back, and rings with procs and on use effects

5. yes, they are very misplaced, why make a thread about "legion is a failure hype train bait and switch, btw i have not done any research on legion or played it at all in any way"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

7+ Year Old Account

oh boy......
    you havent been paying attention at all during the last couple of months have you?

Formerly known as Arafal

"Garrison 2.0"

Confirmed Heelvscrybabyface sheep.

The Class Halls are wildly different.

What would the setting and narrative have to do with the quality of the content and systems design? It's irrelevant.

Also, I think that when it comes to WoW, a certain amount of self-referencing and nostalgic elements is totally acceptable. It's a game with an incredible legacy. And it's a game that in this day and age is mostly played by people who have a long-standing connection with the game and franchise.

You want to know how I know you haven't played beta?

Stop watching hasbeens whine about legion after playing for 10 minutes. Form your own opinions.

Yup, as others have said not a single one of those things you list are actually true or issues with the expansion.

The Order Hall is basically nothing like the garrison other than the fact that it has a condensed version of the mission system. I'd look into that if I were you, you are going to be very confused the first few weeks if you expect to be getting gear, profession materials and tons of gold from it.

No clue what you mean by "non-endgame content that lasts a week" but I can assure you you will have plenty to do in legion if you actually play it. Mythic+ alone is more repeatable content than all of WoD had.

LFR has gear lower ilvl than 5 mans. No idea what a gear treadmill is, but safe to say you haven't been paying attention to what's happened with LFR these past 3 years.

Classes were simplified in terms of rotation, but complexity was added with talents and artifact traits. Better look it up before you end up playing poorly again!

Gear was made far more complicated with addition of Titanforged concept. This too I can see baffling you based on your lack of insight on it. Its actually quite complicated to understand. No one was able to figure it out until I made a thread about it, in which Ion replied with a very detailed explanation.

And of course saying Game Systems were simplified is the biggest proof that you don't actually read the information on this website you have posted this thread on.

Good luck in Legion. You may need it honestly. I can see a lot of these things quickly becoming overwhelming for you if you haven't spent any time looking into changes thus far.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

They aren't playing to bc nostalgia so much as wow lore imo. Now if the new Karazhan 5 man turns out to just be the 10m in a 5m form I will be disappointed but there are only so many directions they can go in these expansions and so a semi full fledged burning legion exp was only a matter of time. If anything, I would say that WoD was more a nostalgia revisit to tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you must be a heelvsbabyface fan...
    Oooooohhhh shots fired.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ohhh boy... time to rip this apart...

1. bc nostalgia? ehh... only thing from "BC" is illidan, and its good to see him get his story brought back, cause BC BUTCHERED his story...

2. bc was not wow's glory days, if anything wotlk is the glory days, bc was still a very much broken game...

3. yeah? illidan, a guy who we have wanted redeemed for 9 years, burning legion a villian we have been begging to have back for 9 years, demon hunters, a class we have been begging for 12 years, karazhan, a raid people have wanted to do more/see the crypts for 9 years

4. garrisons 2.0.... PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT AHAHAHAHAHAHAH ha.. you must be a heelvsbabyface fan..., endgame content that lasts a week? how so? lfr treadmill.... again how so!? w...classes i understand, but gear is becoming even cooler then before, were getting dungeon sets back, and rings with procs and on use effects

5. yes, they are very misplaced, why make a thread about "legion is a failure hype train bait and switch, btw i have not done any research on legion or played it at all in any way"

Time to rip this apart then.

1. Karazhan reboot is a part of that tbc nostalgia? If we could stop rebooting glorified content that be great.

2. Subjective, to me it was TBC as I feel wrath raiding was pisspoor (yaya ulduar, look back at it objectively and realise how many boring bosses it had? That said still subjective. Don't get me started on the TotGC)

3. Ya thats still a part of the BC nostalgia tho?

4. Class Halls are garrisons 2.0, I don't see how you feel they arent but feel free to eloborate on that. Non-endgame content, not endgame content, at least read his post before you try to rip it apart. LFR isn't exactly any more difficult so I agree with that statement, gear is whatever, gear in WoD was fine so I'll let that be, never saw gear as a interesting factor as its just tools for a means to an end.

5. He asked a question based in my opinion on some valid arguments, he asked everyone to prove him wrong, don't see a issue with it.

ps: I share the entire stop using old glory days to create hype bullshit. Stop remaking old content.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't hyped for wod at all because I knew it would suck because mop sucked. But I think that legion might actually be good. Better than bc, even. We'll just have to see.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    4. Class Halls are garrisons 2.0, I don't see how you feel they arent but feel free to eloborate on that.
    you didnt get to play the beta did you?

Formerly known as Arafal

Time to rip this apart then.

1. Karazhan reboot is a part of that tbc nostalgia? If we could stop rebooting glorified content that be great.

2. Subjective, to me it was TBC as I feel wrath raiding was pisspoor (yaya ulduar, look back at it objectively and realise how many boring bosses it had? That said still subjective. Don't get me started on the TotGC)

3. Ya thats still a part of the BC nostalgia tho?

4. Class Halls are garrisons 2.0, I don't see how you feel they arent but feel free to eloborate on that. Non-endgame content, not endgame content, at least read his post before you try to rip it apart. LFR isn't exactly any more difficult so I agree with that statement, gear is whatever, gear in WoD was fine so I'll let that be, never saw gear as a interesting factor as its just tools for a means to an end.

5. He asked a question based in my opinion on some valid arguments, he asked everyone to prove him wrong, don't see a issue with it.

ps: I share the entire stop using old glory days to create hype bullshit. Stop remaking old content.
    If you've actually played the beta and you legitimately think Class halls are garrison 2.0 then you don't have much brainpower is about the only remark I can possibly say to that.

10+ Year Old Account

If you haven't played the beta, then all your information is at best secondhand and as such subject to being tainted by the bias of the medium that delivered it to you. My advice would be to get the information firsthand (actually play it) and then make your own determination.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

ya tbc was not wows glory day's and what do you want them to never touch the legion again cause the legion was in tbc?

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    you didnt get to play the beta did you?
    Actually I was in the friends and family alpha, so yes I did also get to play beta, still feels like a garrison to me you know.

Quote Originally Posted by lanesia24 View Post
    If you've actually played the beta and you legitimately think Class halls are garrison 2.0 then you don't have much brainpower is about the only remark I can possibly say to that.

Constructive, now is either one of you gonna tell me what is so different about class halls? Order hall resources? Or the followers, sorry I mean champions that you sent on missions that unlock stuff? It is garrisons 2.0, it is a updated version of garrisons with more ingame interraction.

Sure I can't build things and sure all my fellow class members will be in the same location, but the core is still there, followers and resources.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-08-20 at 01:55 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Constructive, now is either one of you gonna tell me what is so different about class halls? Order hall resources? Or the followers, sorry I mean champions that you sent on missions that unlock stuff? It is garrisons 2.0, it is a updated version of garrisons with more ingame interraction.
    you arent even comparing it to the garrison but to the old command table and old follower system.
    lots of warlords' stuff was gated behind follower/command table shit, the only stuff gated behind legions table is a couple of class campaign quests.
    the rest is addition to for more AP and bit of gold.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I played the BC that some of these people remember, would have been preferable to the broken mess that BC actually was.