Poll: Does Baylor deserve the NCAA death penalty?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    no. that does not warrant a death sentence imo. 20 years in prison.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's bear in mind that the "death penalty" of being kicked out of the league isn't a punishment for the players who committed these crimes.

It's a punishment for the administrations that covered them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Death penalty? How do you execute a school?
    yes why would you execute a school sports team?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Punishing the Students who enjoy the Sport, use it as a career and don't do things wrong just makes this a shitty decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Let's bear in mind that the "death penalty" of being kicked out of the league isn't a punishment for the players who committed these crimes.

>removing Students who dedicate themselves to a sport isn't punishing them.

Sometimes it feels like you just like being illogical Endus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Punishing the Students who enjoy the Sport, use it as a career and don't do things wrong just makes this a shitty decision.

- - - Updated - - -

>removing Students who dedicate themselves to a sport isn't punishing them.

Sometimes it feels like you just like being illogical Endus.
    Athletics scholarships largely exist to benefit the athletics programs. If those who run those programs are behaving like this, that whole thing is an issue. If these students are decent students in their own rights, this won't affect their long-term prospects.

If they're so good they have a shot at a pro career, they shouldn't have trouble transferring to another school, who'd be eager to pick up that kind of talent.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Athletics scholarships largely exist to benefit the athletics programs. If those who run those programs are behaving like this, that whole thing is an issue. If these students are decent students in their own rights, this won't affect their long-term prospects.

If they're so good they have a shot at a pro career, they shouldn't have trouble transferring to another school, who'd be eager to pick up that kind of talent.
    Because fuck them wanting to be in a certain College, lets just punish them by making them go somewhere else mid degree. What could possibly go wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably better suited to the sports forum, where there would be no need to explain "death penalty".

For all of that, ax them. It is time to make it clear that universities need to clean up their sports. Many have a big enough war chest that they can eat a shorter penalty -- they'll complain, but they can weigh it as a cost of doing business. That's the same reason that damages in US civil cases can run so high, they are intended to make big companies pay attention rather than just figuring the occasional pay out as a cost of doing business.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Death penalty? How do you execute a school?
    Here, hold my beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I thought this thread was about an entire university getting sentenced to death :/

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    OT: I don't care about sports, especially collegiate sports, so I couldn't care less. Why do people attend universities where more funding goes towards sports than education?
    At major universitites, a successful football program funds not only itself, but all the other sports programs at the school. That is just how lucrative it is.

- - - Updated - - -

If the players are not involved, you punish the administration, not the players.

The death penalty doesn't consist of being kicked out of a "league" or more accurately a conference. It simply means that the school is prohibited from competing in one or more sports for a period of time.

If the administrators actively hindered the investigation, or they covered up guilty verdicts judged by an impartial jury and judge, than yes, they deserve a hell of a sentence so to speak. But covering up ongoing investigations to the press without hindering the investigation, or covering up claimed sexual abuse cases proven wrong/innocent, than what is the big fucking deal

Seriously, it's like sexual abuse suspicion, not even a conviction, is worse than murder, body mutilation and cannibalism (in that order) for a college student these days. Title IX is a goddamn abomination, colleges are a goddamn abomination these days. Since when has public discourse shifted from innocent until proven guilty to burn him at the stake because a girl got touched inappropriately (supposedly)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey Guys,

For those of you who don't know Baylor University is a private Baptist university in Waco, Texas. They are also alright at football. During 2016 Baylor has been in some deep shit for ignoring sexual victims. People say it's unlikely Baylor will get the death penalty but nothing is impossible. So do you think Baylor needs the death penalty?

This also made my blood boil
    The "death penalty," is handed out by the NCAA for violations, often for a cited lack of institutional control. What jurisdiction does the NCAA have to institute that penalty in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    The "death penalty," is handed out by the NCAA for violations, often for a cited lack of institutional control. What jurisdiction does the NCAA have to institute that penalty in this case?
    The NCAA is basically roger GODdell but with more power. They can do whatever the fuck they want

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    The NCAA is basically roger GODdell but with more power. They can do whatever the fuck they want
    They often do, even when they don't have authority to do so. But my question was what jurisdiction does the NCAA have to institute that penalty in this case?
    Last edited by Merkava; 2016-08-20 at 07:20 AM.

They often do, even when they don't have authority to do so. But my question was what jurisdiction does the NCAA have to institute that penalty in this case?
    Probably something related to Title IX. It always does. Worst fucking thing in existence

Probably something related to Title IX. It always does. Worst fucking thing in existence
    With all respect, I think you're confused. Title IX has to do with equitable allocation of scholarship money to men and women. It has to do with participation.

With all respect, I think you're confused. Title IX has to do with equitable allocation of scholarship money to men and women. It has to do with participation.
    Title IX covers a lot. Not just money. Per the source, schools are forced to hire a Title IX administrator, along with reporting alleged... ALLEGED sexual abuses. Total horseshit. Title IX is a fuckfest of epic proportions.

Im in favor of the death penalty for most things so I voted yes on the question alone without any knowledge of the case.

Title IX covers a lot. Not just money. Per the source, schools are forced to hire a Title IX administrator, along with reporting alleged... ALLEGED sexual abuses. Total horseshit. Title IX is a fuckfest of epic proportions.
    Title IX does cover a lot. But Title IX isn't an NCAA regulation. The Dept of Education can pull funding for Title IX violations, students may have grounds for lawsuits under Title IX, but I still don't believe that the NCAA the jurisdiction has for punishing title IX procedures not related to participatory or funding issues.

Edit - Matchles is an attorney, and he's posting in another thread. Maybe he has some experience or insight into this.
    Last edited by Merkava; 2016-08-20 at 07:40 AM.