Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It was the main story on the first page of msn.com earlier this week. They're not doing daily stories on it, but I have seen it covered.

I don't know what you're on about. I've seen plenty of articles about how bad the flooding is, including ones about Tony Perkins' tragedy despite him being somebody with whom I agree on nothing, complaints about Obama being on vacation during it, actors in a series I enjoyed losing their home, "thousand year flood" comparisons, etc. If you go to CNN's website right now, there is a whole front-page section dedicated to it.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by rathgarr View Post
    You keep saying this but you are talking right out of your ass. Most of the areas that have flooded in this event have never flooded before. I'd like to see what happens to your community when it takes 24" of rain in a 48 hour period. Will they band together to help each other or will they just stick their hands in their pockets and go "meh, those poor people shouldn't have built a house in that area that has never flooded before."?

These kinds of events are only going to become more common...
    I have homeowners insurance with a flood enforcement soooooo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Obama is golfing

Hillary is at home

Trump is in Louisiana

Really makes you think about who actually cares about Americans
    The ones who listened to the governor's request that they not come due to how stretched our first responders are probably care the most about the state.

Jon Bel Edwards specifically requested that Clinton, Obama, and Trump not come to the state because he would have to pull first responders off of rescue and recovery details to provide security/clear roads, etc. Two of them listened. The last guy decided that photo ops and political points were more important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I have homeowners insurance with a flood enforcement soooooo
    A lot of these places weren't in flood plains. You don't get flood insurance if you're not in a flood plain.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't "lol" at their plight. All I was saying is that Its hard to have a ton of sympathy for folks who choose to live on a coastal flood plain, and expect the govt to pay for their losses. There is a reason why most insurance companies refuse to write homeowners or renters policies in the area.
    A coastal flood plain?

Tony, seriously? Seriously?

This isn't coastal flooding. It's fucking rivers. It's river flooding, just like what happened in Missouri and Ohio a year or two ago.

Baton Rouge is two hundred fucking miles INLAND. These aren't COASTAL areas.

Maybe if you weren't so busy talking out of your ass in order to laugh at people suffering, you'd have actually done some research before opening your mouth.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Gosh it's almost like they built a city in lowlands prone to flooding.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Gosh it's almost like they built a city in lowlands prone to flooding.
    Except they're not prone to flooding. Those areas haven't flooded in my lifetime. Most don't have flood insurance because they're not in flood plains prone to flooding.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I've seen it reported on, as well as the editorial criticizing Obama for not being there as well.
    And when he finally goes they will criticize him for road closures and security in a disaster area.

You can't win with idiots.

Mostly white people affected in the floods, the media will cover it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Mostly white people affected in the floods, the media will cover it up.
    I think you're very confused as to the racial makeup of the area.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    The media only reports what they think will garner them ratings or things that fit their agenda. I believe there to be at least 3 reasons why you hear nothing from the media.

1) Louisiana isn't a swing state.
    2) The Governor is Democrat
    3) There is nothing yet that they can fabricate to blame Bush or the GOP for.

You can be assured that as soon as it become advantageous to them they'll report on it.
    I still find it funny that Republicans get salty whenever something Bush handled terribly is blamed on... Bush.

These Republicans that get salty over this are of course the same ones who will blame it raining during a picnic on Obama.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Interesting....someone can have the mindset that you should do what you can to fix your situation and still allow those people to get the help that they need after exhausting all options? What a concept!

Wow...just wow.
    Just seems odd that you think people who often genuinely need help haven't exhausted all other means, when they have, and tell them they should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

I realize though, that there are many like you who are only able to realize when people actually need help when you're close to the situation. When a situation is distanced from you, the people who have fallen on rough times "haven't tried everything" no matter what they do.

We used to have this forum poster who was on every kind of disability and medical/poor welfare, and he was the typical person who preached about how people should stop abusing the system, but when it was pointed out how much he used the system, he was like "Well I actually NEED it, if you have air conditioning then you can afford food and don't need food stamps!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't help Hillary's Presidential ambitions to have Donald Trump there giving out food to the needy while our President golfs and refuses to show up until Tuesday. I mean heaven forbid that he might have to cut short his vacation due to the inconveniences of Mother Nature. At least Trump is on the ground actually doing something to alleviate the crisis as a true leader should. Alas, because he is, it is not newsworthy to the liberal media which is hungry to influence the election. Hearst and Pulitzer would be very proud.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kanye opens his mouth as usual on things he know nothing about.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    In fact the governor has asked that he not come until they are past the search & rescue portion of the event, which is still ongoing.
    I think you're wasting your time.

The people who don't understand why Obama or Clinton didn't go to Louisiana are the same kind that are just itching for any reason to lay more shit on him or her. No matter how you explain it to them, even if you use small words, the smallest and the best words, terrific words, they don't want to get it.

Like that person with the bible verse signature who's trying to get people to give The Donald a vote. Lol it's pathetic. He handed out things from the truck for less than 50 seconds. Not even a full minute "helping". Because this was just a photo op.

The politics of it doesn't really bother me, though. Politicians do politician things. It's that he took resources that could have been much better spent, you know, helping, to add to his security detail. To keep his orange ass safe. Sad.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Main stream news? You mean reality tv?

Hell, they even manage to turn the olymoics into some sort of reality tv event. They don't care about informing the public. They are private media entities. They care about ratings and pushing an agenda.

Deleted
    Well it's quite dumb for people to live in a sub lea level region, you are always going to get floods, if anything move everyone out of those areas and back to higher land and let it flood naturally. Or actually spend proper money and buy a system like they have in Holland where they barely have any floods nowadays.

Either way, if your government is not willing to do either, just move elsewhere, it's going to save you trouble and money in the long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Well it's quite dumb for people to live in a sub lea level region, you are always going to get floods, if anything move everyone out of those areas and back to higher land and let it flood naturally. Or actually spend proper money and buy a system like they have in Holland where they barely have any floods nowadays.

Either way, if your government is not willing to do either, just move elsewhere, it's going to save you trouble and money in the long term.
    You say they are 'quite dumb' for living where they live... Explain.

'Always' you say? 500 year floods dont happen 'always'... in fact the chance that a 500 year flood happens in any given year is... you might want to sit down for this. 0.2%. That is what is happening in Louisiana.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You say they are 'quite dumb' for living where they live... Explain.
    It's a little callous of anyone to call them "dumb". When you were born somewhere, and it feels like home, it just feels like home. Or, if you can't afford to leave, you make the best of it.

However.. there's a reason I moved away from Washington state when I could, and that reason is the massive earthquake that scientists say is probably going to wreck that whole region within the next few decades.

And there are reasons I didn't want to take my Father-in-law's offer of moving the family to Florida. The first of which is because it's fucking Florida and madness occurs there at a much higher frequency than other locales. More so, the whole thing could be under water in several decades.

Any place has it's problems and potential for deadly natural disasters, of course.. but they're more likely to happen in some places than they are others. Even if they won't happen soon, planting roots there could have ones kids or grandkids there when the shit is spraying onto the fan, to which some assholes on the internet will be saying "hurr hurr, look at them, so stupid for living there!"
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

What I want to know is why the governor would tell people who could bring attention as well as aid to stay away for a while...

Where is FEMA President Obama?

Obviously, Obama doesn't care about black people, right Kanye?
    Really...?

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards says he's not concerned that President Barack Obama has not yet visited Louisiana to see the flood crisis first-hand.

"I'm not complaining in any way about our federal partnership," Edwards said during a news conference on Thursday.

President Obama is not there, causing the kind of traffic jams and security requirements a presidential visit brings. Those requirements could ground helicopters and block roads still urgently needed in search and rescue activity. Instead, the head of Homeland Security and Federal Emergency Management Agency head Craig Fugate are on the ground.
    But leaders also praised the work of the federal government as a much-welcomed departure from the difficulties experienced during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"This is not your 2005 FEMA,” said Commissioner of Administration Jay Dardenne. “They have been much more responsive.”

Senate President John Alario, a Westwego Republican who traveled with Edwards and FEMA leaders earlier this week to flood-struck areas, agreed.

“FEMA has been around since the first drop of rain hit the ground,” he said. “Whether the president is here or not, we’re getting a lot more help from the federal government."

FEMA already has started inspecting structures, which is a legally required accountability standard since the federal agency is giving out taxpayer dollars, Dardenne said. Up to 600 FEMA inspectors will be at work in the next couple days as flood waters recede.

“They want to do everything possible to keep people in their houses, where possible and quick repairs can be made,” he said.

Johnson, who met with Edwards and surveyed the flood zone before the Thursday afternoon press conference, said he expected to brief Obama on his trip and he said the president has been getting daily updates on the flood.

"The president can't be everywhere," Johnson said. "He's very much on top of the situation."
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...ecd4409b8.html
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/8...ponse-does-not
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kristivas View Post
    It's a little callous of anyone to call them "dumb". When you were born somewhere, and it feels like home, it just feels like home. Or, if you can't afford to leave, you make the best of it.

However.. there's a reason I moved away from Washington state when I could, and that reason is the massive earthquake that scientists say is probably going to wreck that whole region within the next few decades.

And there are reasons I didn't want to take my Father-in-law's offer of moving the family to Florida. The first of which is because it's fucking Florida and madness occurs there at a much higher frequency than other locales. More so, the whole thing could be under water in several decades.

Any place has it's problems and potential for deadly natural disasters, of course.. but they're more likely to happen in some places than they are others. Even if they won't happen soon, planting roots there could have ones kids or grandkids there when the shit is spraying onto the fan, to which some assholes on the internet will be saying "hurr hurr, look at them, so stupid for living there!"
    and the likelihood that a flood of this magnitude happening in that are is rated at 0.2%. Comparatively that quake you were so worried about has a 7-14 percent chance of occurring. Meaning that quake has is 35-70x more likely to happen than that flood did of occurring, not really something someone can expect to see in their lifetime, the lifetime of their children, their grandchildren or even their great grandchildren. Whereas the Washington quake will probably occur in your own lifetime.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.