Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is this abuse or standard procedure? Wisdom Teeth Removal

Alright so my sister went in to get her wisdom teeth out today. She's an adult, and a resident of California.

When the dentist was putting her under with anesthesia, he strapped a piece of wood to her wrist and cut off circulation.

When she was waking up, she was able to hear what was going on around her but she wasn't really able to get up and move around.

She overheard the dentist speaking to an assistant saying "we need to get her out of here right away so we can bring in the next patient." The assistant advised against this, arguing that my sister wasn't awake yet and should be allowed more time to come out of it. The doctor responded with "I'll handle it" and proceeded to pinch my sister's neck right above the shoulder. Even while under the affects of drugs, she still remembers feeling severe pain. At this point she sat up, but she became extremely dizzy from the drugs that are still wearing off. So she lays back down, and the dentist pinches her again! This time even harder, and it hurt enough to jolt her out of the seat at which point the assistant shuffled her into the hallway and sat her down on a bench where she sat half asleep until the drugs wore off and she could call her friends to pick her up.

I'm not looking for legal advice. I'll go to an appropriate place for that if necessary.

What do you think, honestly? I mean, seriously. "A dentist strapped a piece of wood to my sister's wrist in 2016, to cut off the circulation, guys...is this weird?". Oh the stories people make up on here.
    Last edited by Feel The Power; 2016-08-20 at 06:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just had my wisdom teeth removed last month, and I didn't have any weird pinches or bruises when I woke up. And they let me stay in the bed until the drugs wore off enough so I could walk. Although I live in Canada, so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Go see a lawyer. Anything else is just going to be talk. At this point, even if you just want to go online and give him a bad review it is going to be seen as he said vs. she said.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I just had my wisdom teeth removed last month, and I didn't have any weird pinches or bruises when I woke up. And they let me stay in the bed until the drugs wore off enough so I could walk. Although I live in Canada, so...
    Please, Canada has malpractice all the time. Stop with the non sequitur. Basically, the sister didnt adequately check out said oral surgeon. Do your research and find good surgeons.

Deleted
    What the hell are you guys doing out there? I've had three teeth removed, and each time without anestethics. The dentist simply gave an injection into my jaw that temporarily numbed the nerves. I was fully awake all the time, felt no pain when the dentist worked her way around my mouth, and was able to stand up and walk normally without any dizziness after the procedure. Only talking was a little bit difficult due to my tongue and half my face being numb for a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    What the hell are you guys doing out there? I've had three teeth removed, and each time without anestethics. The dentist simply gave an injection into my jaw that temporarily numbed the nerves. I was fully awake all the time, felt no pain when the dentist worked her way around my mouth, and was able to stand up and walk normally without any dizziness after the procedure. Only talking was a little bit difficult due to my tongue and half my face being numb for a couple of hours.
    Oh yeah hearing the drill and seeing the chunks of bone and pools of blood is awesome. Dont be this guy, unless you have a medical condition so you cant be put under, get put under

10+ Year Old Account
    I still wonder why you guys use anesthesia in the US... IN EU (Finland atleast) It's used only on extreme cases where pantient cannot go tru the process or is way too afraid of it.

In here doctors just use drug to make the area numb and remove the teeth or whatever is needed to be done.
    I am really bad at taking care of my teeth and my wisdom teeth were in super bad condition (both lower teeth had lost 60% of the surface also I had infection in right side). They made my jaw numb, took away both lower wisdom teeth and even cut the infected area from my cheek away at same time. After that I was able to leave right to way and the area was just bit sore for a week. That's it. Why putting people to sleep? I know some fear dentist, heck even I do that's why my teeth are at so bad condition. But putting people to sleep everytime is just... meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't get put to sleep for my wisdom teeth removal so....
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret
    I've had three teeth removed, and each time without anestethics
    Wisdom teeth are something of a special case. The reason they are being removed is usually because there is a problem with a way they are coming in. Taking them out can get pretty messy. You can get an impression from the video in this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_tooth
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Oh yeah hearing the drill and seeing the chunks of bone and pools of blood is awesome. Dont be this guy, unless you have a medical condition so you cant be put under, get put under
    I feel the need to say that in EU it is not standard procedure to put someone under GA unless it is absolutely necessary and you have to be at a hospital and not at the dentists as it is considered dangerous, most doctors will tell you not to be totally put under unless it is an extreme surgeory. This is for a tooth. At a dentist you can have injections, be numbed and just let them do their stuff for the next hour or so. Also, don't be such a wuss xD I mean, 'all the chucks of bone and blood' is a bit much, if you don't like it close your eyes. If you're one of those people who are petrified of being at the dentists, it's really not a big deal just have these injections.

I had a tooth pulled a month or two ago, 3 small injections, wait for that to work, grab tooth, pull, done and dusted. I've also had a root canal, it really is no big deal, in fact I kinda liked watching him do it, it was interesting xD

Anyway, OP, yeah....that sounds weird, if it's something she wants to follow on about then do so. It's only up to the person to investigate/press charges if needed, but otherwise nothing will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazpaws View Post
    I still wonder why you guys use anesthesia in the US... IN EU (Finland atleast) It's used only on extreme cases where pantient cannot go tru the process or is way too afraid of it.

In here doctors just use drug to make the area numb and remove the teeth or whatever is needed to be done.
    I am really bad at taking care of my teeth and my wisdom teeth were in super bad condition (both lower teeth had lost 60% of the surface also I had infection in right side). They made my jaw numb, took away both lower wisdom teeth and even cut the infected area from my cheek away at same time. After that I was able to leave right to way and the area was just bit sore for a week. That's it. Why putting people to sleep? I know some fear dentist, heck even I do that's why my teeth are at so bad condition. But putting people to sleep everytime is just... meh.
    So they can charge alot more for it. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Bullshit. In majority of cases drill won't even be used during wisdom teeth removal. There is SOME blood, but they are going to remove most of it immediately with sponges. Unless you panic constantly and easily, don't get put under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazpaws View Post

It isn't every time. It's generally advised because many people can't handle it and doctors don't want to risk a procedure going wrong if that were to happen. When I had my wisdom teeth removed I was actually given three options for how I wanted it done. One was a pill/numbing combination. The pill was supposed to reduce anxiety as well as numb a little of the pain and the shot was supposed to handle the rest. The other option was just the shot in the mouth. The last option (which I willingly chose on my accord as my oral surgeon didn't push any of the three at me) was being put under.

Edit: I could be the odd man out here but I went to an oral surgeon specifically and not just a general dentist which could be why. This guy doesn't do things like cavities and cleaning teeth, he was only there for specific things like removal and root canals and whatnot. The more serious side of dentistry.

Edit Edit: On topic: if this is still recent I would go see a lawyer or something. Make sure you take pictures if there were any bruises or marks left that you can use to support your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Bullshit. In majority of cases drill won't even be used during wisdom teeth removal. There is SOME blood, but they are going to remove most of it immediately with sponges. Unless you panic constantly and easily, don't get put under.
    I laugh at your peasantry. My state enjoys a healthy supply of certified anesthesiologists, makes the surgery 100% better. You are more likely to die by other complications than anesthesia. And general doesnt increase it by that much, the surgery part is obviously going to be the heavy hitter, hence dont skimp on your oral surgeon

Deleted
    I guess our dentists know their job better then. One of the teeth had to be split in half before it could be pulled out. Yet there were no pools of blood or chunks of bone flying around. All that was left was a nice, clean hole. It did bleed a little bit for a while of course, but not that much. Just had to be careful when washing my teeth.

Generally I have very good teeth that haven't had any holes so far, except for the one that had to be split. Weirdest thing was that I didn't even feel any pain even when the tooth's surface cracked, nor after the treatment I got (the dentist warned that it might hurt -- and it already should have hurt -- quite a bit). Guess I have "good" nerves in my jaw as well then.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-08-20 at 07:56 AM.

I had my wisdom tooth removed with local anaesthesia too and it was nothing as you are trying to make it sound. Sure, you hear the drill but you don't see chunks of bone nor blood. They also let you relax your mandible, closing your mouth for a while, if it's taking to long to remove the tooth (it was two hours for me, because the little bastard was in a crap position) which means less sore mandible after the surgery. My dentist also explained me what he was doing during the procedure, which helped me relaxing (but I'm one of those persons who need to know how things work). So yeah, don't let yourself be injected with total anaesthesia when it is absolutely not necessary to get one...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    What do you think, honestly? I mean, seriously. "A dentist strapped a piece of wood to my sister's wrist in 2016, to cut off the circulation, guys...is this weird?". Oh the stories people make up on here.
    I'm not a dentist, I have no clue what their procedures are. She didn't elaborate because she was crying but I'm guessing this wasn't just a piece of plywood from some abandoned lot. But I thought it was a little odd so I felt it worth mentioning here. This is very much real, it happened yesterday afternoon. Why would I make this up? And what's the difference to you either way? I'm here asking for opinions and nothing more, whether you believe me or not is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Most often, people have to have their wisdom teeth cut out, not just pulled. The reason people get their wisdom teeth out is because they won't fit in their mouth without pushing on other teeth and fucking them all up. So they usually remove them before they ever come in which usually in your 20's.

I'd honestly be extremely surprised if your sister or anyone could remember anything within the first few minutes of waking up from anesthesia. People are usually already in the recover room before they're actually aware of anything.
    I remember everything I felt when I went under to get a tooth pulled and a crown put on. Thankfully because of the drugs I didn't feel much aside from extreme relaxation, but I remember every second of it fondly. It would be more than unfortunate to be woken from that by severe pain of somebody squeezing the muscle in your neck. I thought she was exaggerating when she texted me but when I called her she kept crying and saying she's terrified to go to her appointment there next week.
    This happened some 8 hours ago and she still feels the pain in her neck, through the pain of her teeth.
    Last edited by Pipboi; 2016-08-20 at 08:04 AM.

No idea, all the surgery I've had done has been under local anesthesia. The craziest thing was when I was having a screw inserted. And they tighten it with just like, a black and decker power drill.

" Don't be this guy" Yeah, I didn't get put under for having a tooth removed either.
    No pain at all.
    Getting put under is no joke, any minor mistake can pretty much kill you. If there's no reason to risk it, then you shouldn't