Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So are you talking about local anesthesia then? Being put under means you get general anesthesia and it's literally impossible for you to remember anything during the procedure or ~30 mins after.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure. I live on the other side of the country. But I'm guessing it wasn't anything like what you're talking about because she was aware of her surroundings she was just too dizzy to walk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got knocked out for my wisdom teeth removal because I didn't want to have to sit around and watch them drill into my mouth. Wake me when it's over.

As for the "Dentist" described by the OP... yeah, that sounds straight made-up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Getting put under is no joke, any minor mistake can pretty much kill you. If there's no reason to risk it, then you shouldn't
    The same can be said for stepping out of your door every morning.

One false step into the street and BAM- cement truck.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Ever hear about the terrifying, true story of William?

William was a British soldier stationed in Germany who went under general anesthesia for some routine root canal surgery in 2005. When he woke up, he was trapped in a perpetual state of amnesia. To this day, William can remember everything up to the point of his anesthesia, but has been unable to form memories past the 90-minute mark in the ensuing decade. The details of his personal, Memento-themed hell remain a mystery to doctors even to this day.

We can never be sure of the extent to which dentists are willing to go just to save a few dollars, but one thing is for sure, this shit needs to stop. Vote Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Oh yeah hearing the drill and seeing the chunks of bone and pools of blood is awesome. Dont be this guy, unless you have a medical condition so you cant be put under, get put under
    Or don't be such a pussy?
    Tho I guess it's normal for Americans to be scared of everything.
    What percentage of women give birth in America with a spinal injection?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

What a pointless, obtuse, retort.

Difference could be that I'm in Europe and the rest of you sound American.

Drugs are far more acceptable/used in America compared to general Europe. So it's straight up a health-culture thing I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    When the dentist was putting her under with anesthesia, he strapped a piece of wood to her wrist and cut off circulation.
    pinch my sister's neck right above the shoulder. Even while under the affects of drugs, she still remembers feeling severe pain.
    1) You do not cut off circulation when you administer anesthetics. That would be nonsensical.
    2) Doctors (even sadistic dentists) don't do that. They have dedicated rooms to place patients where they can wake up at their own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    1) You do not cut off circulation when you administer anesthetics. That would be nonsensical.
    2) Doctors (even sadistic dentists) don't do that. They have dedicated rooms to place patients where they can wake up at their own pace.
    Basically this.
    He is malpracticing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Or don't be such a pussy?
    Don't be ridiculous. You will NOT be able to get your wisdom teeth removed w/o some form of either local or complete anesthesia.
    Most wisdom teeth have bent roots and need to be "dug" out. quite a painful procedure, I've endured it myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I got knocked out for my wisdom teeth removal because I didn't want to have to sit around and watch them drill into my mouth. Wake me when it's over.

As for the "Dentist" described by the OP... yeah, that sounds straight made-up.

- - - Updated - - -

Do people really make up fake stories that often around here that you suspect everybody?
    Not sure what I can do to convince you, but it's probably not even worth it. I'm getting a lot of good feedback from other people.

I think it's going to come down to whether or not she has a bruise in the morning. If she does, maybe we'll consult a lawyer.
    Otherwise it's probably best to just cancel her appointment next week and find a dentist with a gentler touch.

Drugs are far more acceptable/used in America compared to general Europe. So it's straight up a health-culture thing I guess.
    Whatever makes them gain the most money I guess.
    Full anesthesia should only be resorted to if really neccesary, not something that is done automatically.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't be ridiculous. You will NOT be able to get your wisdom teeth removed w/o some form of either local or complete anesthesia.
    Most wisdom teeth have bent roots and need to be "dug" out. quite a painful procedure, I've endured it myself.
    Local is fine, complete is not.

Yes, avoiding pain when possible makes you a pussy. I like to hold my hand on my skillet every morning when I cook practice because I'm not a pussy.
    But there is hardly any difference in observeable pain when you compare local to complete.
    Money money money.

Not really pointless seeing as how more people die from car accidents than anesthesia. Anesthesia is 7 deaths in every million cases.
    Excellent.
    Our doctors are very good and capable.
    But if there's no risk to be had in a simple local anaesthetic, why not simply go with that?
    For the Americans here, it's probably cheaper too in regards to their healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Local is fine, complete is not.
    That is up to the comfort level of the individual person.

There is no shame in being put under completely if one is afraid of the procedure or associated memories.

In Spain, the inherent risks to general anaesthesia is considered superior to the annoyance of hearing the drill, and unless the bone has any condition that asks for a more...vigorous...approach, it's done on local only.
    Besides, that way you are less open to patients claiming odd stuff (which may or may not be a product of malicious intent by them, drugs are like that) and less malpractice claims.

Dot like there's no tomorrow.

That is up to the comfort level of the individual person.
    There is no shame in being put under completely if one is afraid of the procedure or associated memories.
    Maybe but I'm not a big fan of pumping people full with shit.
    Not only that, it will cost a fortune for those that need to be put under everytime something needs to happen.
    And I ain't even talking about the risks.

Lol @ America once again. General anesthesia to remove wisdom teeth. Never heard something that ridiculous.

I just had my wisdom teeth removed with local anesthesia. You don't see any blood or bones flying around as some people claim. And you don't feel any pain of course. They even had to cut one of my teeth in half before removing it and I didn't even know that until they told me in the end. Just grow up.
    Last edited by Shiroh; 2016-08-20 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe but I'm not a big fan of pumping people full with shit.
    *chuckles*
    People do far worse with their bodies in their so called "social free time" than getting anesetesized every few years.

Depends if they're just pulling the teeth or cutting them out. Even getting my teeth drilled and having fillings put it there's still a bit of pain with local anesthesia. I imagine it would be quite severe with them cutting my gums open. Complete anesthesia has very little risk compared to other things you do in life.
    Sounds like you weren't in the hands of a completely capable/caring/considerate dentist then. I had a tooth completely removed, only with local anaesthesia. I didn't even feel the needles when they had to inject it.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I'd rather take the 1 in 142,000 chance of dying than being awake while my gums are being cut open. It's probably even less than that if you actually pick a doctor with a good track record.
    And that's completely your choice.
    But you do come off sounding as a bit pampered, pardon me.

*chuckles*
    People do far worse with their bodies in their so called "social free time" than getting anesetesized every few years.
    True, sadly enough.

You're also not an anesthesiologist that went to medical school for 8 years.
    Since when do you need to be a anesthesiologist to know about what anesthetics can do to you?
    Are you really that daft?

10+ Year Old Account
    What a pointless, obtuse, retort.

And yet we aren't bombarded with stories of people being inadvertently killed left and right by routine anesthetization.

In fact I just checked... the "rate of death" for hospital patients due to anesthetization is about 1.1 deaths per million people.

Meaning: You have a higher chance to be killed by a car. And that's just counting pedestrian fatalities, let alone car-on-car fatalities.

Seems my reply was right on point.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Oh yeah hearing the drill and seeing the chunks of bone and pools of blood is awesome. Dont be this guy, unless you have a medical condition so you cant be put under, get put under
    There's a greater risk of complications with full anesthesia than with local, so I would say the opposite - unless of course your wisdom teeth are stuck in the jaw sideways, which is probably what you're thinking of. Sometimes they're removed due to lack of space, and then it's not worse than having any other tooth pulled.

---

On topic, yes, I would consider that abuse. We've been taught only to pinch like that if we need to test if a person is conscious after an accident or suddenly passing out, and only if they don't respond to our voice. The dentist sounds like a dickhead.
    Last edited by Zindai; 2016-08-20 at 08:30 AM.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.