Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noobadrood View Post
    In Spain, the inherent risks to general anaesthesia is considered superior to the annoyance of hearing the drill, and unless the bone has any condition that asks for a more...vigorous...approach, it's done on local only.
    Besides, that way you are less open to patients claiming odd stuff (which may or may not be a product of malicious intent by them, drugs are like that) and less malpractice claims.
    I also played devils advocate when she first told me, but seeing as she's still feeling the pain in her neck several hours after the operation that leads me to conclude that she was indeed injured as she described it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And yet we aren't bombarded with stories of people being inadvertently killed left and right by routine anesthetization.
    In fact I just checked... the "rate of death" for hospital patients due to anesthetization is about 1.1 deaths per million people.
    Meaning: You have a higher chance to be killed by a car because you stepped into the street.
    Seems my reply was right on point.
    Unnessecary risk taking, costs a lot more.
    Local can easily make sure you don't feel a thing.

I don't blame any of you since it's common practice over there.
    Just wish it was more about health than money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    I didn't even feel the needles when they had to inject it.
    Lucky you.
    Personal experience: getting injected the local anesthetic is actually the most painful part of the process (esp that burning sensation of the drug) if you exclude the 3 weeks of severe pain after the procedure.

Though it's really interesting how quickly the diamond saw cuts your teeth in half. Those are some quality tools they have.

And yet we aren't bombarded with stories of people being inadvertently killed left and right by routine anesthetization.

In fact I just checked... the "rate of death" for hospital patients due to anesthetization is about 1.1 per million people.

Meaning: You have a higher chance to be killed by a car because you stepped into the street.

Seems my reply was right on point.
    Yes, but you're comparing a relatively simple, routine, procedure of getting a tooth removed, to high speed hunks of metal which are controlled by humans that haven't developed a sensible fear of speed. We're incapable of entirely grasping the consequence.

I simply find it a bit over the top to have to be put completely under.

My point of it being pointless is well... Yes, anything can kill you. It's implied, always. That's life. It doesn't bring any new information to the table. Hence: Pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    I can't confirm what they were drugging her with but she said she had an IV put in, which was also tied too tight to her and contributed to the poor circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Lucky you.
    Personal experience: getting injected the local anesthetic is actually the most painful part of the process
    How long does this pain last tho? can't be more than a second.
    Sure it stings but if that's all? Hardly a big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    I can't confirm what they were drugging her with but she said she had an IV put in, which was also tied too tight to her and contributed to the poor circulation.
    Yeah it sounds like some malpractice going on there.
    Consider getting in touch with a medical lawyer.

Lucky you.
    Personal experience: getting injected the local anesthetic is actually the most painful part of the process (esp that burning sensation of the drug) if you exclude the 3 weeks of severe pain after the procedure.

Though it's really interesting how quickly the diamond saw cuts your teeth in half. Those are some quality tools they have.
    I may be thick skinned, but be it vaccinations for going traveling, to having dental work done, I've rarely felt the needle.
    I've made sure to go places where I know they're very caring in their approach, because I have an absurd phobia of needles to the point where my veins can collapse if I am to have any kind of injection or blood sample taken.

I may be thick skinned, but be it vaccinations for going traveling, to having dental work done, I've rarely felt the needle.
    I've made sure to go places where I know they're very caring in their approach, because I have an absurd phobia of needles to the point where my veins can collapse if I am to have any kind of injection or blood sample taken.
    Whilst pain levels are personal, the pain level can decrease or increase depending on what you do in terms of anesthesia.
    Not only that, the amount of pain in your life also changes this level.

Pain sensors will give less of an output to the brain if it is more used to it to the sensors that hardly ever have to output the information to the brain.

You can also become partially immune to certain types of anesthesia which can cause MAJOR problems when you have to be put under and the doctors find out too late.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-08-20 at 08:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an "unnecessary risk" in the same way that walking to the store is when you don't actually need food because you could be attacked by a dog or hit by a bus or a bird could drop a turtle on your head.

I don't blame any of you since it's common practice over there.
    Just wish it was more about health than money.
    Again, surgeons aren't killing people off with anesthesia at some alarming rate.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Needle: sharp "high frequency" pain, medium to high intensity 1-3 seconds, depending on how the doc moves it.
    Drug itself: burning/pressure sensation lasts for around 5 minutes.

Nothing you can't endure but not exactly pleasant either.

As for the procedure itself: I did get a "tranq" pill called "dormicum" that put me into some kind of weird "i don't give a shit" state b/c the doc felt that I was too nervous. I was still conscious but I lost track of time and have memory gaps.
    That crap didn't agree with me at all, felt sick as a dog for the rest of the day, so I definitely would not recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but you're comparing a relatively simple, routine, procedure of getting a tooth removed, to high speed hunks of metal which are controlled by humans that haven't developed a sensible fear of speed. We're incapable of entirely grasping the consequence.

I simply find it a bit over the top to have to be put completely under.

My point of it being pointless is well... Yes, anything can kill you. It's implied, always. That's life. It doesn't bring any new information to the table. Hence: Pointless.
    Then doing what's "strictly safest" isn't particularly useful when the statistical likelyhood of dying to "the easier way" is pretty damn small. Much smaller than things we do and expose ourselves to every day.

I mean you're basically saying "Well you can take this road that will take you four hours to get to where you're going, or take this bridge that will take you 15 minutes, but taking the bridge is an unnecessary risk because I hear bridges can collapse and people die that way."

And don't think local anesthesia can't kill you to boot.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    I also played devils advocate when she first told me, but seeing as she's still feeling the pain in her neck several hours after the operation that leads me to conclude that she was indeed injured as she described it.
    Im not doubting her (i have no reason to trust/doubt her), simply stating how things are done in other places

Dot like there's no tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it stings but if that's all? Hardly a big thing.

Yeah it sounds like some malpractice going on there.
    Consider getting in touch with a medical lawyer.
    I'll talk to her in the morning and we'll take things from there.
    I really appreciate the feedback, I needed somebody else to tell me this seems odd so I know I'm not just overreacting.
    So thanks everybody! I'll update this post if anything comes of all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Considering no one really knows or understands how anesthetics work, probably anyone of rational mind. What exactly are you so worried about? Do you know how small 1/142,000 is? You're more likely to die on the way to work.
    You don't need to know how something works to see the effects of the anesthesia afterwards.
    Talk about a rational mind.

It's an "unnecessary risk" in the same way that walking to the store is when you don't actually need food because you could be attacked by a dog or hit by a bus or a bird could drop a turtle on your head.
    Again, surgeons aren't killing people off with anesthesia at some alarming rate.
    Oh are we going this route now.

You had a quarter inch deep incision made in the four corners of your guns and your teeth cut out? How many did you even have removed? Not everyone has four wisdom teeth. If they're already coming in, they can typically just pull them out which is far less painful. Yeah, avoiding unnecessary pain makes me pampered.
    I had a molar removed, which had to be drilled and hacked out piece by piece and then replaced by a fake tooth. Done with local anaesthesia. I did not feel a thing.

Then doing what's "strictly safest" isn't particularly useful when the statistical likelyhood of dying to "the easier way" is pretty damn small. Much smaller than things we do and expose ourselves to every day.

I mean you're basically saying "Well you can take this road that will take you four hours to get to where you're going, or take this bridge that will take you 15 minutes, but taking the bridge is an unnecessary risk because I hear bridges can collapse and people die that way."

And don't think local anesthesia can't kill you to boot.
    Yes, yes, sure sure. Excellent simili.
    No, I don't think local anaesthesia can kill you outright.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a molar removed, which had to be drilled and hacked out piece by piece and then replaced by a fake tooth. Done with local anaesthesia. I did not feel a thing.
    I don't think that people want full A because local A can't get the job of pain suppression done.

The reasons lie more in the psychological realm and it's up to the person to decide what they can withstand and what not.
    We are all different in nature. What bothers the one is a no-thought necessary thing to the other.

My dad had a colonoscopy w/o any anesthesia (my doc called him crazy). When I had mine, I told them "knock me out and do what you desire, I don't want to witness this one".

I just think you have an irrational fear. I'm not saying you should use anesthesia for everything, but if I'm getting anything cut open, I want to be under.
    No, it's that it does not add up in any way other than pampering in most cases, which is bad for the patient in question in several different fields.
    You might think this is fear, I find this to be common sense and most of Europe agrees.

And that's perfectly ok.
    But I also think people should be able to recognize that it's no small deal for such a simple procedure. That's my stance.
    The more it's used, the more it's normalized, thinking it is "the right thing to do".
    Like penicilen in food.
    It will start out harmless but at some point it will cross a border of no return.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2016-08-20 at 08:54 AM.

I don't think that people want full A because local A can't get the job of pain suppression done.

The reasons lie more in the psychological realm and it's up to the person to decide what they can withstand and what not.
    We are all different in nature. What bothers the one is a no-thought necessary thing to the other.

My dad had a colonoscopy w/o any anesthesia (my doc called him crazy). When I had mine, I told them "knock me out and do what you desire, I don't want to witness this one".
    And that's perfectly ok.
    But I also think people should be able to recognize that it's no small deal for such a simple procedure. That's my stance.

Most of the feeling in your teeth is from the roots under them that go into a tooth. When a tooth starts to fall out, it means that part is dying and you lose sensitivity. Regardless, getting local anesthesia for your entire mouth isn't usually recommended which is what would have been needed to cut out all four teeth.
    But that's usually what they do when they put you under.
    They then proceed to anaesthesize(?) the portion that is to be operated on. My tooth wasn't dying, anyhow.