Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    ...For your obsession with Super Flower there is an easy solution. EVGA G2 PSUs are build on Super Flower platform. 550W is enough, even if you overclock all of what you have. Your system wont break 450W in most scenarios.

That's actually exactly the same one I was gonna get and yes the Super Flower platform and good reviews on both the 650w version and that one made it an easy pick for me.

I have heard about OC'ing and I know the principles but I'm just not that good with computers that I'd know what to do if I had to do it manually setting the voltages etc. That's why I asked if there are programs/settings in the BIOS on these gaming MBs that make it automatically ie. OC by 20% or something. I had a setting in this 5-6year old Asus basic MB that let me OC my AMD Phenom by 10% but that didn't make any noticeable difference in anything so I just reverted it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowOfThePast View Post
    That's actually exactly the same one I was gonna get and yes the Super Flower platform and good reviews on both the 650w version and that one made it an easy pick for me.

I have heard about OC'ing and I know the principles but I'm just not that good with computers that I'd know what to do if I had to do it manually setting the voltages etc. That's why I asked if there are programs/settings in the BIOS on these gaming MBs that make it automatically ie. OC by 20% or something. I had a setting in this 5-6year old Asus basic MB that let me OC my AMD Phenom by 10% but that didn't make any noticeable difference in anything so I just reverted it.
    It's not hard, just invest your time to watch some videos. Software overclocking is never worth it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Check my signature, with my setup. In WOW I draw 125W's. ( with LCD and Speakers on )
    Under Maximum Torture ( OCCT PSU test , CPU + GPU ) 300W's ( with LCD on ) which is inhumane and I'll never be able to hit that even under heavy gaming.

The GPU is the main power hog since it's already on 110% Power Limit and it can go easiliy over 200W's draw.

All values are measutred with a Power Outlet Meter and Read from UPS Display.
    I can attach pictures if needed, but currently intense case of "lazy".

You have a more Efficient CPU and GPU.

It think you'd be good with anything decen.
    Superflower is much more than "just decent".
    Last edited by mmoc2d1a1cc4ba; 2016-08-18 at 08:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not hard, just invest your time to watch some videos. Software overclocking is never worth it.
    Are there some serious downsides with software OC'ing? Or is it just so much more inefficient or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kondik View Post
    ...You have a more Efficient CPU and GPU.

It think you'd be good with anything decen.
    Superflower is much more than "just decent".
    So my 550W EVGA will be more than enough to handle any wattage the system drains with all the OC'ing and stuff? I thought my total power consumption would be something like 450Wish at max.. (some web page with a calculator/form gave the estimate)

Deleted
    Are there some serious downsides with software OC'ing? Or is it just so much more inefficient or something?

- - - Updated - - -

So my 550W EVGA will be more than enough to handle any wattage the system drains with all the OC'ing and stuff? I thought my total power consumption would be something like 450Wish at max.. (some web page with a calculator/form gave the estimate)
    Not going to happend. You'd have to Push your PC with some Linpacx AVX on CPU , Furmark on GPU , while having both parts OC'ed.
    As I said To cross 300W I have to move the Power Limit slider on GPU , which is already aftermarket, meaning it draws more by default, but still let's push it over the top. I had CPU OC'd by a little bit. And I was hovering on 300W. Once I Turn on VSYNC and stop doing stupid stuff I have around 110 ~ 130 W Draw from the UPS , confirmed by the UPS and WATTMeter as well.

So I did a simple thing, if my max draw is 300 , I bought the EVGA 750W P2 , because up until 300W it remains "passive" hence not spinning. I have a lot of reserve for 1080SLI if I ever get a sudden rush of shit to the brain, but at the moment I'm not planing any of that sorts, so I'm in full "passive PSU mode"

550W Will be plenty, Heck I bet even if you'd SLI the 1070's you'd still have A bit to spare.
    I bought the 750W only because it was the 1st Superflower platfrom PSU available in this country with no backorder, othwerwise I'd be fine with 550 or 650.
    Last edited by mmoc2d1a1cc4ba; 2016-08-20 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Grammar

Software control is less efficient due to the disparity between BIOS and OS function access. Also, problems may stem from the fact that software overclocking is applied in Windows, meaning that you have one set of settings during POST and another in OS.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-08-20 at 04:07 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Software control is less efficient due to the disparity between BIOS and OS function access. Also, problems may stem from the fact that software overclocking is applied in Windows, meaning that you have one set of settings during POST and another in OS.

Thanks! That's some good info there I wouldn't have thought of myself. So I quess I'll do some research/look for videos on how to set the OC properly in the BIOS? Any tips on good guides or articles in "overclocking for noobs"?