Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has been helping this man quit wow for the past 14 months

step 1. don't check mmo-champion.
    step 2. uninstall the game
    step 3. profit?

it's that easy. asking for strangers on the internet to help you quit wow is absurd, really.

Quote Originally Posted by alabaster jones View Post
    In it's current format, the most rewarding way to play WoW is casually.

To help me understand, what specifically keeps you coming back to put in extra hours at the moment?
    This actually.

Do the work when X things going on, and stop playing.

Like now...if you aint lvling right now you just wasting time. So sub and go for a month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    I quit smoking 11 years ago cold turkey. Why? I wanted to. It's not as big a thing as people make it out to be.
    I want to get addicted to smoking to know what it feels like...I once asked a family member what it was like...He said something about nutella cravings...I have a jar of nutella for once but I dont really eat it...so...dunno.

But yea, I would never smoke....Its like I wouldent want to stand next to a chimney or a old car thats breaking down lol
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was easy, we wouldn't call it an addiction.

You'll probably need professional help. Addictions can be caused by several things.

Also, never ever go cold turkey with an addiction. That's like asking to fall back worse than you are right now.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

it's easy, "SAY SOMETHING SO BAD/DO SOMETHING SO BAD" YOU GET LIFETIME BANNED ACCOUNT...

now if you want to come back you need to drop 80 dollars and start all over!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Yeah, 17k+ here, lol and I've quit for a total of 23 months over the past 12 years.
    Only on 16300, I'm such a casual
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    I quit smoking 11 years ago cold turkey. Why? I wanted to. It's not as big a thing as people make it out to be.
    Quite true whats needed in the OP's case and anything like smoking is.

A. A true desire to stop what your doing aka true motivation, your not going to suceed if you are not sure you want it
    B. Will power and discipline

Giving up anything is hard but anything can be given up if you have A and B.

And neither can be granted by other people especially strangers on forums

Personally the OP sounds like he feels he should give up WoW due to other pressures/RL things, but is not sure they really want to, in which case its going to struggle to happen.

The the OP's really that desperate and does not have the discipline just to not play the game full stop and still wants to genuinely stop playing then close the account and get it deleted or ask a trusted relative to change the password and security questions so they simply cannot access the account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    If it was easy, we wouldn't call it an addiction.

You'll probably need professional help. Addictions can be caused by several things.

Also, never ever go cold turkey with an addiction. That's like asking to fall back worse than you are right now.
    Going cold turkey is probably the best way, reducing the addiction slowly does not help anything.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

You need know two things that are essential to life in so many ways: Self control and willpower. These are the only things you need. They are a necessity of life. As are patience and (dare I say) tolerance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just one day go "guess what, I think I am quitting WoW"

Didn't give any stuff away, didn't make a massive announcement, just stopped logging on after that day.

It is easier than you think, if you think that is hard, that mean you didn't want to quit, if that is the case, keep playing and have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just give up like all of Axl Rose's belts do when he hits the all you can eat buffets.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you didn't wasted your time. WoW is a good game. It has memorable art in it, music for instance. Listen to this for instance : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l85xZmP_L00
    or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1qEZ7uw0iw which is a masterpiece of ambient music.

Don't know for you, but I think we're meant to enjoy our life, and to do interesting things. WoW for sure IS an interesting thing, there is art elements that makes you proud to be human.

Just don't forget your contribution to humanity, help others (ie work mostly) or create something, but this is easily done by not playing 18h a day. Just live healthy and don't try to quit wow it's not worth it. As it sounds you completely missed the point of the game. It's not a drug, it's truly a masterpiece with art in it. We're meant to experience that. But keep your life interesting by playing other good games, watch good movies, learn about the world. But there is no point in stopping. WoW is not Dota.

You don't need to go to the gym, you don't need to watch silly TV programs or listen to questionable music, you're meant to do what you want. Don't want to go to the gym ? Don't go and do something actually interesting out of your life if it's not interesting enough to you. If you want to live healthy eat healthy and go for a walk every mornings.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-08-20 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    Going cold turkey is probably the best way, reducing the addiction slowly does not help anything.
    Where the hell are you coming from?

Going cold turkey is the single worst thing you can do. Literally.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-can-...-try-it-339264
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...udy-finds.html
    https://www.promises.com/resources/d...rkey-bad-idea/

If alcohol, smoke and drugs addictions gets worse by going cold turkey, it's easy to find the causality for video game addiction.

It's a very real illness and if OP tried to quit several time without achieving it, then there is an underlying issue.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all a matter of how much playtime density there is. I did the math for myself, at 355 days or 8,520 hrs total played over 8 years (had a 3 year break, and did not start until 2005), that comes to ~20.5 hours a week. Really, that isn't that much - around 3 hours a day, which sounds about right.

9,000 hours may sound like a lot, but if you've roughly played since launch, that's 14.4 hours a week. I'm pretty sure there are people who read more than that.

I've noticed my play time is hovering around 33 hrs/week since I came back, so I'll need to watch what I'm doing, but I don't feel alarmed. I came back to have something to do, and WoW is filling that role. If it stops, I'll just quit like I have many times before, the quality of what I replace it with and Legion itself determining if it's "permanent" or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Deleted
    Just uninstall the game

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    I'm asking you guys to help me with quitting wow for good. I've done it all. I've levelled every class. I've been a casual player, a hardcore raider, a mediocre pvper, a gold maker, etc.

I've had realm firsts, top 5 parses on some fights, bis gear . I've been playing for 8 years now and just don't want to play anymore. Tonight I saw some one post a picture of their 5500 hours on Dota and instantly thought "what a loser"and then I realized I have around 9000 hours on the wow.

I've tried quitting half a dozen times. In cata I quit for 4 months. I quit for almost the entirety of mop but I came back at the end to sell cm with some Australian friends. I was quit from August 2015 to December basically. A few other breaks here and there.

It's negatively impacted my life for sure. Countless hours wasted on a digital treadmill that I wish I could get back. No longer go to the gym as much as I used to.

I know it's as easy as just giving away all of my gold and deleting my toons but it's so hard. The game has been such a major part of my life whether I like it or not and it feels like I'm deleting a part of my self.

Hmmm.. this sounds to me like a "Narcissistic, hey look at me" post.

You have no intention of leaving the game, you just want attention.
    Last edited by Krimzin; 2016-08-20 at 05:16 PM.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    hehe.. 9000 hours how cute
    Right? I have clocked over 400 days on all my characters.

On topic... just stop playing? What is so hard about it? If you don't like something anymore, you just stop doing it. There is no magic to it, you just stop doing it.

all i gathered from this thread was "waah waaah waaah i don't have enough self control to stop playing a computer game i don't enjoy, waah waah i go to the gym, waah wahh, it's gonna be so hard, help me guys, waaaah!

btw i go to the gym! i work out! acknowledge me!"

All it takes to beat an addiction is the will to do it. If you don't want to quit smoking, you won't, no matter how many patches you slather on or pills you pop. The same with WoW. You could give away your gold and delete your account, but you'll end up just buying a new one and starting from scratch if you don't truly want to quit. Give yourself reasons to quit, then make them more important than the game by reminding yourself every time you want to play, or just by going out and doing the things you actually want to instead. Distance yourself from the need for instant reward by telling yourself there is no reward, and the momentary feeling of pleasure in your brain is an illusion.

Or just play through MoP and WoD back to back. That one works from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    All it takes to beat an addiction is the will to do it. If you don't want to quit smoking, you won't, no matter how many patches you slather on or pills you pop. The same with WoW. You could give away your gold and delete your account, but you'll end up just buying a new one and starting from scratch if you don't truly want to quit. Give yourself reasons to quit, then make them more important than the game by reminding yourself every time you want to play, or just by going out and doing the things you actually want to instead. Distance yourself from the need for instant reward by telling yourself there is no reward, and the momentary feeling of pleasure in your brain is an illusion.

Or just play through MoP and WoD back to back. That one works from experience.
    Lol I too thought blizz themselves with the last two expansions has been trying to cure us all of this addiction.

Hmm I doubt anyone can say anything to make you quit. It's really up to yourself. Maybe try sell your pc and buy a tablet or something that can't run games, or a ps4. As long as you can pay you probably will.