Thread: Upgrading my PC

Upgrading my PC

Hello people,

I've built a custom PC 2 years ago and I need to upgrade it now as I need to use it for more stuff now, my current setup is as follows:CPU: Intel Core i5-CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    2x Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    2x Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
    and have an SSd that i bought afterwards but never plugged in: Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

What do you guys think i need to upgrade and to what. My usage is mostly for video games, but, I also work on engineering/designing programs like AutoCAD, Revit, and Photoshop. I feel like my pc is slow on some of those programs and overall it lags a bit when i open a lot of things (im the kind of person that opens a lot of tabs on browsers along with games).

Please let me know your suggestions, Thanks!

Would be a pretty huge waste of cash to go for an i7 at this point, unless you know you can sell your current processor to someone. Easy upgrade would be to add another 2x4 kit of memory that you have.

You'd want more memory but it's unreasonable to buy new DDR3 kit instead of your old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Would be a pretty huge waste of cash to go for an i7 at this point, unless you know you can sell your current processor to someone. Easy upgrade would be to add another 2x4 kit of memory that you have.
    It's a mATX mobo, only 2 memory slots.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Ugh even when i have you on ignore i have to check your posts just to make sure you arent giving bad advice, it has 4 dimm slots.

An i7 would be better at the programs he listed. Esecially AutoCAD. Not to mention he may wish to multi-task and be doing other things at the same time, and that is where i7s shine. They are far from a "huge waste of money". I have never regretted buying mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    An i7 would be better at the programs he listed. Esecially AutoCAD. Not to mention he may wish to multi-task and be doing other things at the same time, and that is where i7s shine. They are far from a "huge waste of money". I have never regretted buying mine.
    /facepalm

Reading comprehension man! I am obviously stating an i7 is an upgrade, but if he has to buy one outright that is an absurd amount of money to spend if he does not have a buyer for his old chip.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You'd want more memory but it's unreasonable to buy new DDR3 kit instead of your old one.

It's a mATX mobo, only 2 memory slots.

Its not unreasonable to get another set of memory, its dirt cheap and DDR3 isnt ready for the trash.

And his MB does have 4 banks ....

@OP, if you really want to go to a i7, maybe a 1231V3 Xeon would suffice for $250 (basically i7 4790 non k performance) and you could unload the 4690 on ebay, the new chips aren't yielding a huge increase in performance.
    Last edited by moremana; 2016-08-20 at 07:06 AM.

/facepalm

Reading comprehension man! I am obviously stating an i7 is an upgrade, but if he has to buy one outright that is an absurd amount of money to spend if he does not have a buyer for his old chip.
    How is that relevant if he knows he wants to upgrade? We could tell almost anyone any upgrade is a waste of cash under the scenario of them not having a buyer for their old parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    How is that relevant if he knows he wants to upgrade? We could tell almost anyone any upgrade is a waste of cash under the scenario of them not having a buyer for their old parts.
    Because the CPU is such an expensive part, if he bought an i7 originally that is one thing but now he is in the perdicament of spending 500 dollars for an i7 (remember, he already spent ~200 for an i5). Its just not worth it unless he can recoup a good margin of his i5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leggit View Post
    I feel like my pc is slow on some of those programs and overall it lags a bit when i open a lot of things
    have an SSd that i bought afterwards but never plugged in: Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    That right there is a pretty huge deal. You have a bangin system but no SSD. Switch the OS over to that and a lot of things (especially photoshop) will change.

The i7 might be nice... But it's not a large upgrade over the current i5. I'd say not worth it, honestly.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

thing is i already have 16GB RAM, I guess the formatting was bad, but, I bought 2 of 2 x 4GB.

- - - Updated - - -

-Looking at the responses I guess the only suggestion is buying i7, if I am buying an i7 which one would you guys suggest, money isn't really an issue, but, i dont want to buy an expensive one, i'd like one that is good for now and for another couple years.

-Also curious why nobody suggested a change in video card isn't mine a bit out-dated?

-Say if i buy i7 and a new video card something like GTX 1070, is my tower good enough? Will I need a new cooling system? Is the power supply good enough? If not, then what do i need?

-As you can tell already, I am not very good with these things so im sorry and thanks a lot for the help

If money truly isnt an issue sell that pc or give it to a relative and build an x99 system. Looking at ~1500 give or take.

If money truly isnt an issue sell that pc or give it to a relative and build an x99 system. Looking at ~1500 give or take.
    when i said money isn't an issue i meant, i dont want to buy the cheapest shit just cause it's the cheapest upgrade, i'd rather pay a bit more to make an actually worthy upgrade

when i said money isn't an issue i meant, i dont want to buy the cheapest shit just cause it's the cheapest upgrade, i'd rather pay a bit more to make an actually worthy upgrade
    So then money is an issue lol. I still stand by my original advice, the only way an i7 is worth the upgrade is if you can sell your i5. 4790 is the i7 you would want to upgrade to.

thing is i already have 16GB RAM, I guess the formatting was bad, but, I bought 2 of 2 x 4GB.

- - - Updated - - -

-Looking at the responses I guess the only suggestion is buying i7, if I am buying an i7 which one would you guys suggest, money isn't really an issue, but, i dont want to buy an expensive one, i'd like one that is good for now and for another couple years.

-Also curious why nobody suggested a change in video card isn't mine a bit out-dated?

-Say if i buy i7 and a new video card something like GTX 1070, is my tower good enough? Will I need a new cooling system? Is the power supply good enough? If not, then what do i need?

-As you can tell already, I am not very good with these things so im sorry and thanks a lot for the help
    No point in buying an i7. Ideally you need a new build with an overclockable processor (i5 will do fine), but I guess that's a little bit too much spending for you. Your tower is far from perfect but enough for house any one GPU configuration.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

So then money is an issue lol. I still stand by my original advice, the only way an i7 is worth the upgrade is if you can sell your i5. 4790 is the i7 you would want to upgrade to.
    roughly speaking, how much would i be able to sell my current i5 for, and which site would u suggest to post it on?
    thanks

roughly speaking, how much would i be able to sell my current i5 for, and which site would u suggest to post it on?
    thanks
    Id say 130-150, ebay/craigslist or even local buy and sell sites.

This is probably the chip id upgrade to:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117316

Its basically an i7 without onboard graphics. You can sometimes find this for cheaper as well.

Why not upgrading GPU? For example gtx 1070: in games it will be TIMES better than gtx 760, and in AutoCAD & Photoshop you'll be able to utilize it via hardware acceleration.