Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    But, [spoiler]the first time El sees it, in her astral project black space thing while in the tank, it's eating something, no? And all she does is briefly touch it before it turns around and at the very least, roars at her. Which then leads to her being absolutely terrified and her scream permanently opening a doorway, ofc.
    Yeah, but The FIRST time that El noticed another presence with her while in the tank, it wasn't seen at all, it was only heard. After that, her "father" said That it was "reaching out", so she went back in, that's when she saw it appearing to be eating something, which it still didn't even notice her until she actually touched it. IDK, to me it seems like 2 completely different levels of intelligence, so 2 different species. Which would make sense when you take the egg, and slugs both into account.
    That's why I don't think that the creature that we see is responsible for Will being there, nor is it the same creature that takes Will and Barb to the library. I guess instinct could tell it to get healthy bodies that will stay alive longer, and give the slugs a better chance to gestate. That would kind of explain why it only comes out to feed, or when someone is alone and vulnerable. But then AGAIN we come back to the "Then WTF is the egg from?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watch this series and it was pretty awesome. Curse netflix fo rmaking great shows that we can't binge watch to conclusion now. </3
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

This show was fantastic. I really need a second season sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    But, the first time El sees it, in her astral project black space thing while in the tank, it's eating something, no? And all she does is briefly touch it before it turns around and at the very least, roars at her. Which then leads to her being absolutely terrified and her scream permanently opening a doorway, ofc.

Either way though, I do think there is something else in the upside down. Petalface can't have come from the egg/pod if there are larvae so why was there an egg? Unless the larvae are for something else? It also seems to run purely on instinct and doesn't seem to have the intelligence to have this little nest set up where humans are held prisoner and then fed some kind of tube into their bodies through the throat that goes into the stomach, with how far in it was. Unless it is simply the pawn of another creature that perhaps does have intelligence and the means to control. We could just be looking at a Xenomorph kinda thing where humans are used for gestation, then you have the regular aliens and then you have some kind of Queen.

I dunno, too many questions lol
    I got the same Xenomorph vibe as well. I expect we will be seeing something much bigger next season.

Greatest show I've seen in a while! It's definitely worth watching!

Great show! The intro music was incredible and hypnotic. 5/5

If you're looking for more info after watching the show, check out "Demogorgon" references in Dungeons and Dragons
    Last edited by MattEffect; 2016-07-29 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Why did they have to make the black kid the annoying one?
    there still has to be friction between the boys.

A question.

Bear trap worked. Fire worked. Bat with nails did damage. Why do so many bullets not seem to do anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    there still has to be friction between the boys.

A question.

Bear trap worked. Fire worked. Bat with nails did damage. Why do so many bullets not seem to do anything?
    Bad guys cant shoot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Why did they have to make the black kid the annoying one?
    The black kid was annoying as shit, they did redeem him though. At the end of it all he was just took his job as being the hard ass in the group too seriously.

The girl that played Eleven was amazing though. Hopefully she finds a good coach/manager if she decides to stay in the business. All the kids were great though.

The best part is that you forget that its no an 80s movie, that takes skill.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Wasn't really a fan. It didn't feel like an 80s movie... it felt like 4-5 different 80s movies, with different themes, running in parallel.

The girl's storyline, the other kids' storyline, the teens' storyline, the cop's storyline, etc., and then with really poorly executed overlap between them. Specifically, with the monster... which - when the kids interact with it - acts like a typical kids' movie monster; posing no threat to them, existing just to be scary. Then when the teens interact with it, it acts like a typical teens' movie monster; posing a real threat to them, but they're able to kind of fight it in strange, improvised and unconventional ways. Then when the adults interact with it, it acts like a typical adults' movie monster; demolishing armies of professional soldiers like they're not even there. Even though a couple of teenagers just beat it up with a bat and an improvised flame thrower. That part was fucking awful.

Also hard to sympathize with Eleven too much. That was another really jarring part of the series. She casually murders, what, dozens of men? Right in front of the other kids? And the kids are just like "aw, cool!" like it's nothing. Guys, that girl is fucking killing people left and right, snapping their necks like it's nothing, and why? Most of them don't even pose a threat to her. Not like they're going to kill her; if they were there to do that, they'd have done that before she killed them. She just kills them... even though she doesn't need to at all, her telekinetic powers easily strong enough to incapacitate people instead of murder them... presumably because she's a broken person who doesn't even see them as human. Which makes sense, I guess... but for the other kids to also not see all the people she kills as 'not people'? That doesn't make any sense.

They should be horrified by her. Fucking fleeing in terror! But instead they just think it's cool, and that she's badass. Which makes sense... kind of... in the context of their movie, which is a typical kids movie, that doesn't require that the characters act like they would in less dream-like movies. Except they're not in that kind of a movie... they're in a movie where we have a character straight out of elfen lied running around murdering goons by the bussloads... but they don't act that way, because they're not actually in that movie. They're in their own little kids' movie, that they weren't competent enough to gracefully integrate into the overall series.

Then there's... actually, forget it. People don't care about this shit. They're just gonna rush to imdb and award it 10/10 because 80s nostaliga and they like the music and the actors are good. Well... the actors were good, I can't deny that. The girl that did Eleven in particular was amazing. But the story? The wildly inconsistent thematic? Those parts were pretty shit.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Wasn't really a fan. It didn't feel like an 80s movie... it felt like 4-5 different 80s movies, with different themes, running in parallel.
    I very much enjoyed it the amalgamation of those 80's movies. I think that is exactly what they were going for and with the solid acting pulled it off nicely. They wanted it to feel like The Goonies and a bit like FireStarter and a bit like E.T and Stand by Me with some Close Encounters. As an 80's kid, it was solid on those reference points.

The girl's storyline, the other kids' storyline, the teens' storyline, the cop's storyline, etc., and then with really poorly executed overlap between them. Specifically, with the monster... which - when the kids interact with it - acts like a typical kids' movie monster; posing no threat to them, existing just to be scary. Then when the teens interact with it, it acts like a typical teens' movie monster; posing a real threat to them, but they're able to kind of fight it in strange, improvised and unconventional ways. Then when the adults interact with it, it acts like a typical adults' movie monster; demolishing armies of professional soldiers like they're not even there. Even though a couple of teenagers just beat it up with a bat and an improvised flame thrower. That part was fucking awful.
    That part we can agree on. The monster leaves many questions for me. I hope seaons two answers some. Maybe it being from an alternate deminsion bullets have little affect but fireon the other hand still did damage. Trap held it but didn't do much. I do hope there is some explaination there in season 2 happens. (A season 2 I feel strongly will happen because of so many questions as well as it's popularity)

Also hard to sympathize with Eleven too much. That was another really jarring part of the series. She casually murders, what, dozens of men? Right in front of the other kids? And the kids are just like "aw, cool!" like it's nothing. Guys, that girl is fucking killing people left and right, snapping their necks like it's nothing, and why? Most of them don't even pose a threat to her. Not like they're going to kill her; if they were there to do that, they'd have done that before she killed them. She just kills them... even though she doesn't need to at all, her telekinetic powers easily strong enough to incapacitate people instead of murder them... presumably because she's a broken person who doesn't even see them as human. Which makes sense, I guess... but for the other kids to also not see all the people she kills as 'not people'? That doesn't make any sense.

They should be horrified by her. Fucking fleeing in terror! But instead they just think it's cool, and that she's badass. Which makes sense... kind of... in the context of their movie, which is a typical kids movie, that doesn't require that the characters act like they would in less dream-like movies. Except they're not in that kind of a movie... they're in a movie where we have a character straight out of elfen lied running around murdering goons by the bussloads... but they don't act that way, because they're not actually in that movie. They're in their own little kids' movie, that they weren't competent enough to gracefully integrate into the overall series.
    I think thats the difference between how people thinking kids are now a days and what we thought of things like superpower in the 80's. We love it. The force was a huge thing. Seeing a girl that could take out bad guys would have never been anything my siblings ran from much less horrified. We would have thought it was awesome and cool. If she was on our side, we would have loved it. We would have never been horrified to see some kid with powers. Never flee in terror as it would have been nothing short of amazing. Kids these days that are told they can't go outside without supervision. Kids days that need a safe place if someone is mean. Kids these days yea maybe. Not so much kids back then in my eyes and experience.

You seem to understand what they were trying to accomplish in the movie and setting and theme but are just not willing to accept that it would happen that way with the kids and 11. I can assure you stranger things got it more right than wrong in that area.

The ones she killed did pose a threat and in a big way even if we don't always know why. We know they are from the facility and what she went through since birth. That left her rather scared and a built in dislike to most of them if they were to take her back. She didn't understand simple things like friendship. If you were not in the friendship circle once she realized what that was (such as mikes promise to get her out of the closet and basing that on their talk of friends) and you caused trouble, it was likely to not turn out well for you especially if you were from the place that experimented/tortured her for years. It's no wonder she killed them. Not only for herself preservation but for her friends.

However, she did show restraint to the bully kids that tried to kill Mike. It's not so much as not seeing them as human but not seeing them as friendly. Her character made perfect sense to me in this setting and time. Right along with the kids and how they acted, the freedom they had to roam around and do things. To get into trouble and then try and get out of it. It was 80's freedom all the way and if like my brothers and sisters who had all that. It was nice to see it again in such a good way and fantastic story that built off the things we loved.

Then there's... actually, forget it. People don't care about this shit. They're just gonna rush to imdb and award it 10/10 because 80s nostaliga and they like the music and the actors are good. Well... the actors were good, I can't deny that. The girl that did Eleven in particular was amazing. But the story? The wildly inconsistent thematic? Those parts were pretty shit.
    Different opinions man. Thats all it is. For me, the story was solid and the themes were a coherent mix of kids, adults, teens, sci-fi and thriller. The time frame and settings were great. My only problem, the monster. That needed some story exploring. The acting was just amazing from all parties involved especially 11. With such little dialogue she delivered so much in her performance.

I fully expect a season 2 back in Hawkins and with a bigger budget. (I just hope they keep with the more practical effects. Green screen is nice for things but they handled the practical effects in seasons 1 very nicely. )
    Last edited by quras; 2016-08-15 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also loved the show, there were many times when it seemed like the show was made specifically for me. I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future.

The only thing that really bugged me were the government baddies, they were pretty inconsistent, hard to not think the main characters had plot armor when they had been willing to shoot on sight earlier and then pulled way back afterward. It could be that they jumped the gun in shooting Benny, but the show left me having to explain their subsequent less murderous ways myself rather than give it any kind of rationale. Also, they had eleven for 11-12 years and they had no contingency plan for her escaping? They must have come up with something better than sending dozens of mooks to their deaths. They had tranq guns but they never get a shot off, they're spectacularly over matched and so they never felt like much of a threat unfortunately.

Easy show to recommend, wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it.

Now that I put some more thought into the show and the monster.

I wonder if the Duffer brothers took a warped approach to a D&D aspect. The monster can only be hurt by a "magical weapon" so to speak.

Trap didn't hurt it but held it. Bullets didn't seem to hurt it.

Fire on the other hand does hurt it somewhat. Not quite magical of course but a natural force in a way. A telekinetic ripping apart seems to have worked as well.

The more I think about it and their connection to that aspect of D&D. It kinda works.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I also loved the show, there were many times when it seemed like the show was made specifically for me. I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future.

The only thing that really bugged me were the government baddies, they were pretty inconsistent, hard to not think the main characters had plot armor when they had been willing to shoot on sight earlier and then pulled way back afterward. It could be that they jumped the gun in shooting Benny, but the show left me having to explain their subsequent less murderous ways myself rather than give it any kind of rationale. Also, they had eleven for 11-12 years and they had no contingency plan for her escaping? They must have come up with something better than sending dozens of mooks to their deaths. They had tranq guns but they never get a shot off, they're spectacularly over matched and so they never felt like much of a threat unfortunately.

Easy show to recommend, wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it.
    Just government lackeys that were resting on their laurels for too long. Incompetent as far as government people go and I'd wager most had no clue about 11 or what she could do but used more as backdrop for the story than anything ever going to be used in the forefront. Just used to set the tone in places for the more interesting parts of the story.

As far as 11. I think over-confidence goes there. It's all she has ever known. Brenner never thought she would leave given all he has put her through and she never felt inclined to hurt him or leave. Brenner was just to over confident with her and his control on her. Focused on the "cold-war" ease-dropping for secrets until the monster/portal changed things. A real backup plan? Nah. A couple in place like listening in but they were more "after the fact" reaction than proactive. Not a smart thing but I think thats were the overconfidence got them. Over the many year (since 11's mother at least) were able to hide and manipulate so much, they just didn't care anymore and were way over confident in what they could do. At least thats how I saw it.

I'm going to have to re-watch it. I'm sure there are things I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    [video=youtube_share;XWxyRG_tckY]https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY[/]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strang...gs_(TV_series)

This show is amazing! I literally watched the whole series in one sitting.

It's a little bit like E.T., Goonies, Super8, Akira and Stephen King all rolled into 1 show. It's 80's period piece, with an INCREDIBLE soundtrack that is spot on with the choice in songs and the heavy use of synthesizers. The acting is mostly superb(Winona Ryder is a little over the top the first couple episodes), the kids nailed the 80's mannerisms and the actors all fell into their characters really well early in the series.

Basic no spoilers synopsis - A young boy vanishes without a trace. His friends and family set out to find him. They meet a young girl with psychic abilities and battle a mysterious force and a cold war era covert government agency.

If you are an 80's kid or heavy into the supernatural/paranormal, you will be really impressed with the minor details that the creators put in. The minor details are almost like easter eggs. If you're not paying attention, it really makes no difference, but the creators really went the extra mile to touch on nostalgia and pay homage to the era.

My personal rating is a solid 9/10. It may be one of, if not, my favorite shows/series to date.
    Yes, I loved it too, gave me a bit of nostalgia, I recommend you read "Ready Player One" if you love 80s things, especially since you're on a MMO website.

This show is absolutely amazing!

Can't wait for season 2. Now I gotta go read some theories :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    This show is absolutely amazing!

Can't wait for season 2. Now I gotta go read some theories :P
    Stranger things reddit is all over with some. There is this clip that is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VlaDE2cMAE

I'm not entirely sold on it but we can chat if you watch it.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-08-19 at 02:34 PM.

One of my favorite shows in recent memory. Watched it randomly before word really spread and ended up finishing it in 2 days. Can't wait for season 2!

Stranger things reddit is all over with some. There is this clip that is really interesting.

Its funny you point to this theory, I was thinking the same thing, not realizing people were already on that same idea.

I liked the show for the most part.

Only read if you've seen it all.

I didn't like how the girl would kill nameless adults with impunity but not kill the murderous children. Another point I didn't like in the show was when they are just having casual relationship conversations. I felt they weren't really grasping the concept of a dimensional monster that tracked them and could change dimensions at a whim. O' look, a vagina tree with slime that just keeps going and going. lets crawl through it! I was called a slut and I'm so angry at you for doing so! At a certain point when you're buying supplies for monster hunting I feel you shouldn't give a fuck about someone calling you a slut. Priorities people!

Watches it. I don't know, I think I prefer to think that the Demogorgon is a natural being of the Upside Down, whatever that means.

What I really want to know is how the Upside Down and the In-Between first came to be, and what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    Watches it. I don't know, I think I prefer to think that the Demogorgon is a natural being of the Upside Down, whatever that means.

What I really want to know is how the Upside Down and the In-Between first came to be, and what it means.
    Thats my thinking as well. I do not think 11 and the monster are one and the same or a split of her psyche.

I think the 2 headed reference with the demogorgon is nothing but she was the cause of the monster being here. 2 different things but tied to the same catastrophe.

As far as the Upside down. I just think it's like what was described in the Veil of Shadows. It's a dimension that is a decaying version of our own. Always been there and we never knew it.

11's darkness area that she can tap into was a possible purgatory area. A place in between the dimensions. Where she can look in on others and not be noticed unless she interacts. When she did, it alerted the monster to her and her subsequent power burst ripping ripping a large hole. Its been there but we never knew and the monster never knew we were here till the orginal breach. Now it can travel by ripping open it's own temporary holes.