Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Okay, I get it, you don't know the difference between patriotism and respect.
    No apparently you don't get the difference. Standing for the National anthem does not make you patriotic, it's a sign of respect just like taking your hat off before going indoors, or being on time for an appointment. Running around promoting your country, joining or supporting the military and armed forces and those who have served in them, putting up flags or yellow ribbons or buying war bonds this is patriotism. Do you now see the difference? I'm glad I could educate you just a little it seems you needed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I don't attend events like funerals; I don't see the point. I shake people's hands, yes, because it is an integral part of human communication.

I don't mind people who show their respect to the country by standing silently when the anthem is being played. What I do mind is this anthem being forced on me. I've come to watch a sports events, not to listen to the anthem. If they think it is "disrespectful" for me to ignore the anthem, then it is their problem.
    It isn't "disrespectful" it is disrespectful. You're disrespecting the people that have built what you have come to (obviously) take for granted.

I mean, I've never been in a public space and had the national anthem blare over the speakers out of nowhere. in that instance I'd more or less ignore it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Except that is an action that shows respect? Not sure what your point was with this comment...
    What I mean is, if you respect someone, you can take action and tell them, "I respect you", through some symbolic action - OR you can do something good for them, that will demonstrate your respect not in theory, but in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    It isn't "disrespectful" it is disrespectful. You're disrespecting the people that have built what you have come to (obviously) take for granted.
    No, I'm not disrespecting those people by not listening to a piece of music called "national anthem". Who I'm disrespecting is those who believe that people not listening to the anthem a "proper" way are disrespectful - yes, I am disrespectful, but not towards the country; I'm disrespectful towards them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Do you show respect at a funeral by talking loudly while someone gives a eulogy? Do you show respect to other people by slapping their hand when they offer to shake yours? No because that's not how it works.

If you don't want to stand there for the anthem then freedom of speech says you don't have to, but it is considered respectful to do so.
    Nationalism is an evil ideology. It deserves no respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Foreigners like you are one of this countries biggest issues, you morons are what fuel dumbasses to vote for imbeciles like Trump. Don't like or understand our customs? Then get the fuck out. You clearly are ignorant as hell about the entire topic since you think the national anthem would randomly begin to play in a mall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Foreigners like you are one of this countries biggest issues, you morons are what fuel dumbasses to vote for imbeciles like Trump. Don't like or understand our customs? Then get the fuck out. You clearly are ignorant as hell about the entire topic since you think the national anthem would randomly begin to play in a mall.
    Yeah you are clearly not part of that "dumbass" demographic that gets angry and wants to "remove" people from their citizen status for random reasons.

Nope not at all /s

When I went to the States for the first time, the anthem started playing while walking through the concession area of a rodeo with my wife and everyone stopped and just stood there. It was like the fucking Happening or something. I was expecting people to start lying down and getting run over by lawn mowers. I even ended up tugging on her arm and being like "the fuck are you doing?" because it was so damn nonsensical. And later on I found out about the rules for the flag, and basically said "I'm out" at that point.

Any country that treats a piece of carpet better than their own citizens, and reveres an anthem like the word of God, is too cultish for my liking. You rip on Christianity and Scientology and Islam for indoctrination and downright foul shit, but the US is way worse. You just grew up in it and justify it because that feels right to you, but it's the same damn Kool-Aid in a stronger flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    I started writing out some huge reply to this then I decided, why even bother wasting my time with such ignorance.

Well I wouldn't say it's quite the same. I don't think where I'm from (England) has any such laws or protocols on how to act when the anthem is playing. If there is, I lived there for 22 years and never heard about it. I didn't have to pledge my allegiance to anything or ever stand at attention. This whole thing is a little bizarre, so while it may seem like a ridiculous example to you, from what I'm reading and seeing, I honestly do not know.
    I think we only have the unspoken rule that you have to sing the "da na da na" bit before the line beginning "send her victorious"

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are not going to get arrested if you do not stand at attention and not talk. It is however, respectful to do so at a event when it is being played such as a sporting event, etc. Even US Flag rules are not ones which can result in criminal charges if you do not follow them. As a civilian that is. But if you care about others, showing respect is a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    When I went to the States for the first time, the anthem started playing while walking through the concession area of a rodeo with my wife and everyone stopped and just stood there. It was like the fucking Happening or something. I was expecting people to start lying down and getting run over by lawn mowers. I even ended up tugging on her arm and being like "the fuck are you doing?" because it was so damn nonsensical. And later on I found out about the rules for the flag, and basically said "I'm out" at that point.

Any country that treats a piece of carpet better than their own citizens, and reveres an anthem like the word of God, is too cultish for my liking. You rip on Christianity and Scientology and Islam for indoctrination and downright foul shit, but the US is way worse. You just grew up in it and justify it because that feels right to you, but it's the same damn Kool-Aid in a stronger flavor.
    You are over dramatizing. Your wife was showing you a good example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sherenei View Post
    As a random european passing by, it buggers me how nationalistic you americans are : /

You are not a little son of your country. YOU are your country, you are the one that maintains it paying taxes, the one who rules it and the one who defends it, and every single one of those is equally important. A country's anthem is supposed to represent its people and you should be able to behave however you please when you hear a song about yourself as long as you are not annoying others.
    Your country is an organization made by people like you so everything goes on properly, not some kind of divinity.
    You can. Some will get upset if you do not, but most will not pay any attention. We do have freedom here, even burn our flag if we want to.

As a random european passing by, it buggers me how nationalistic you americans are : /

You are not a little son of your country. YOU are your country, you are the one that maintains it paying taxes, the one who rules it and the one who defends it, and every single one of those is equally important. A country's anthem is supposed to represent its people and you should be able to behave however you please when you hear a song about yourself as long as you are not annoying others.
    Your country is an organization made by people like you so everything goes on properly, not some kind of divinity.
    Actually you make some good points. It does seem like in the states they are more accepting of authority than other places I've been. Which is ironic seeing how they consider themselves to be the bastion of freedom in the modern world.

Not trying to 'nation bash' just an observation, not saying its a bad or good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I think you should get out, if you don't understand the principles of personal freedom this country was founded on.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is an official law that dictates your behavior, you are taught that and thats why some people get annoyed by others not respecting it. You are taught to treat the anthem as a representation of a god, so no, by law, you are not supposed to behave however you want.

Of course at this age lots of people will just ignore it, thankfully globalisation and the internet is showing us to see further than nationalisms, but it is still there as a rule, and that is not normal.

Edit: And now before this bursts into flames, im not trying to disrespect anyone's opinion, just giving my own.
    It is nothing more than a etiquette one. You will not go to jail or even face any charges at all if you ignore them.

Such a thing is ( a flag or anthem ) only a god to those who look at them as such.

10+ Year Old Account

As a random American view things from across the sea random Europeans are the last ones that should be talking right now in a world that is doing it's damnedest (re: the entire western world is guilty of this) to keep anyone that isn't christian or white out of their country. I'm sorry if I am proud of what this country stands for and the people that died to preserve those ideals.

When certain sects of Christianity were the only religion legal in Europe this is where those that were persecuted came. When famine occurred and jobs were not available this is where people came. When people couldn't get ahead in their homeland this is where they came. This nation has been a bastion for hope and freedom for 250 years now. I agree that there are areas that we as a nation have failed, but what nation doesn't have those hang ups? I'm not saying that my nation is better than yours, but I am saying that people should be proud of their heritage, their history, and where they come from because without those things you wouldn't be who you are or where you are today.
    Last edited by Rizendragon; 2016-08-21 at 02:41 AM.

I find it amusing that you decline to identify yourself with your own country.

Embarrassed by it? Ashamed even?

I'm American and I have no problem posting it.
    And I damn sure as hell won't apologize for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I find it amusing that you decline to identify yourself with your own country.

Embarrassed by it? Ashamed even?

I'm American and I have no problem posting it.
    And I damn sure as hell won't apologize for it.
    You find it amusing, because you don't realize that some people have a more global perspective than you, and they don't have to restrict their sense of belonging to one country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You find it amusing, because you don't realize that some people have a more global perspective than you, and they don't have to restrict their sense of belonging to one country.
    Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

I hate when they cut off your favorite song on the radio and start playing the national anthem. Then you have to pull your car over, get out and face the direction that the radio signal is coming from, and mentally envision Ronald Reagan signing all 56 names on the Declaration of Independence while he smokes a Marlboro.