Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    i also had my wisdom teeth pulled without being put under

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Not really, I had local anesthesia for the removal of a supernumerary tooth that was completely 'submerged' in my gums.
    I have no idea why a regular dentist would have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i also had my wisdom teeth pulled without being put under
    I have, too. But pulling a tooth vs. digging it out is completely different. My wisdom teeth were completely exposed. My brother's were impacted, and he had to be put under to have that done.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I actually had my wisdom teeth removed wtihout general anesthesia. Local anesthesia naturally, but I just played with a gameboy and listened to music the whole time. I've had knee surgery, hand surgery, and surgery on my ribs all with local anesthesia. It's not terrible. The worst thing about it is that while it doesn't hurt, a lot of times you can still feel the cutting/pulling happening, which is kind of creepy.
    This is the biggest load of shit I've read here in a while.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This is the biggest load of shit I've read here in a while.
    I can attest about only local for wisdom teeth removal. Had all 4 removed when I was 18, they all were at least partially erupted. Took 45 minutes to an hour, awake for it all. No pain, but certainly could feel the pulling/yanking.

Depending on the hand surgery, I've taken care of patients that only had local/blocks on their hands. Knees and ribs though, never heard of non-general for that.
    Last edited by medievalman1; 2016-08-21 at 03:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I have no idea why a regular dentist would have done that.

I have, too. But pulling a tooth vs. digging it out is completely different. My wisdom teeth were completely exposed. My brother's were impacted, and he had to be put under to have that done.
    mine were impacted too, they grew in sidewards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    mine were impacted too, they grew in sidewards
    Then I have no idea how they did that with local anesthetic, and I question whether you are remembering the circumstances correctly. When they have to dislocate your jaw to get the tools in (which they often have to do with impacted wisdom teeth), they don't leave you awake. I mean, unless you get it done in some third world hell hole.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Uh... getting a tooth pulled is not the same as wisdom teeth removal. You'd be crying like a baby if you were awake for it.
    It happens, I've been there as well (yes, it was wisdom tooth). In the European-speaking world I think it's the normal procedure to do it without general anesthesia, unless there's something specifically requiring it. I felt no pain during the operation, the local anesthetic (or whatever you call the stuff they inject to your jaws to take all the feel away) did its job as much as it has to. It was quite odd feeling though, because it requires a rather generous amount of force and work to just pop the tooth out of there. After it was done, I was prescribed some pain killers (ibuprofen and co-codamol based) to take if required. After the day of operation I used none.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    What the hell are you guys doing out there? I've had three teeth removed, and each time without anestethics. The dentist simply gave an injection into my jaw that temporarily numbed the nerves. I was fully awake all the time, felt no pain when the dentist worked her way around my mouth, and was able to stand up and walk normally without any dizziness after the procedure. Only talking was a little bit difficult due to my tongue and half my face being numb for a couple of hours.
    Some people like myself prefer to be knocked out for that sort of shit. I cant stand teeth work and have paid extra to be knocked out in the past for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ifrah View Post
    It happens, I've been there as well (yes, it was wisdom tooth). In the European-speaking world I think it's the normal procedure to do it without general anesthesia, unless there's something specifically requiring it. I felt no pain during the operation, the local anesthetic (or whatever you call the stuff they inject to your jaws to take all the feel away) did its job as much as it has to. It was quite odd feeling though, because it requires a rather generous amount of force and work to just pop the tooth out of there. After it was done, I was prescribed some pain killers (ibuprofen and co-codamol based) to take if required. After the day of operation I used none.
    Local anesthetic doesn't help these:

This is what most people refer to in the US when they say they got their wisdom teeth out. It's done early to prevent disrupting the rest of your teeth.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    What the hell are you guys doing out there? I've had three teeth removed, and each time without anestethics. The dentist simply gave an injection into my jaw that temporarily numbed the nerves. I was fully awake all the time, felt no pain when the dentist worked her way around my mouth, and was able to stand up and walk normally without any dizziness after the procedure. Only talking was a little bit difficult due to my tongue and half my face being numb for a couple of hours.
    This is what happened when I had a tooth removed about a year ago. Minus wit me, I had abit of pain during the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Oh yeah hearing the drill and seeing the chunks of bone and pools of blood is awesome. Dont be this guy, unless you have a medical condition so you cant be put under, get put under
    What kind of shit dentists do you go to? Not once have I ever seen "pools of blood" when I've gone to a dentist.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    What kind of shit dentists do you go to? Not once have I ever seen "pools of blood" when I've gone to a dentist.
    Then you have never seen impacted wisdom teeth removal. They suck most of it out during the surgery, but there's lots of blood when you have to rip someone's mouth open and dig a few inches into their jaw.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I got all of my 4 wisdoms out at the beginning of this year under local, was a precautionary removal as my tops were due to impact soon (was 24yo at the time). Walked in/out of the dentist's building in 20 minutes and ate pizza for dinner that night. 2ez.

OT: The situation described sounds weird as fuck, I think there's a chance that your sister got confused when she was going under.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I just had my wisdom teeth removed last month, and I didn't have any weird pinches or bruises when I woke up. And they let me stay in the bed until the drugs wore off enough so I could walk. Although I live in Canada, so...
    Hows it feel to gaze upon the unwashed peasants of america from atop your maple syrup throne?

Local anesthetic doesn't help these:

This is what most people refer to in the US when they say they got their wisdom teeth out. It's done early to prevent disrupting the rest of your teeth.
    Mine was vertical impaction, and it was local. I also had a supernumerary tooth (basically a lump of tooth enamel forming inside my gums and pushing my teeth out of place) removed, local anesthesia as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    This is what happened when I had a tooth removed about a year ago. Minus wit me, I had abit of pain during the procedure.

When I had both dental surgeries done, I had to change these wads of gauze every couple of hours, and they got loaded with blood.

Mine was vertical impaction, and it was local. I also had a supernumerary tooth (basically a lump of tooth enamel forming inside my gums and pushing my teeth out of place) removed, local anesthesia as well.
    Then you just confirmed you're making this up. Vertical impacted wisdom teeth sit right on the nerve, so when they yank it out, they're literally causing trauma directly to a major nerve running through your jaw.

They wouldn't let you do this without putting you under for liability purposes, many people would probably go into shock.

build pics

Deleted
    Man, I hate wisdom teeth removal.

I got screwed when the surgeon damaged a nerve and I lost feeling and the ability to taste in half of my tongue...
    This couldve been permanent but I kinda lucked out that I got at least part of the feeling back.

Then you just confirmed you're making this up. Vertical impacted wisdom teeth sit right on the nerve, so when they yank it out, they're literally causing trauma directly to a major nerve running through your jaw.

They wouldn't let you do this without putting you under for liability purposes, many people would probably go into shock.
    You don't feel any pain when it's being done. You have basically 3 injections each on the inside and outside of each tooth, and then one deep one. It feels weird, but it doesn't hurt at all. I guess you're just learning something new. Local anesthesia can be done on almost everything. I've had a knee debridement done on local. I've had screws set in my hand on local (that was the weirdest one, because they use literally just a regular power drill to tighten everything).

I've never known dentists to put someone down under full anasthetics for a procedure, it's just a little injection around the problem tooth, even for the wisdom teeth. Probably the denists have become better at calming and soothing the patients now, as opposed to the school dentists of old with their "let's drill teeth without any pain relief because I'm a sadist" (or that's what old people claim anyway).

But to be honest, I prefer the American/Canadian way of doing it.

I don't know if it was abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted

i had that. doctor just cut the tooth in half and left the root that was close to the nerve where it was. local anesthesia. don't think i was with the doctor more then 15-20 minutes.

but you are right, they probably put people under a lot more in the US for liability reasons, not medical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    What do you think, honestly? I mean, seriously. "A dentist strapped a piece of wood to my sister's wrist in 2016, to cut off the circulation, guys...is this weird?". Oh the stories people make up on here.
    Here in Germany anesthesia is applied by hammer, and don't even get me started on how they wake you up again. Oh, the woes of universal healthcare...