Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Those things aren't mutually exclusive.
    When you are abroad, and someone asks you, "Where are you from?", what do you say? You don't say, for example, North Carolina, right? You say, "United States". Same here: some people prefer to not say, for example, "France", but, instead, "Europe".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You find it amusing, because you don't realize that some people have a more global perspective than you, and they don't have to restrict their sense of belonging to one country.
    Global perspective...hmm...wonder what that means...besides being ashamed of the country of your birth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Global perspective...hmm...wonder what that means...besides being ashamed of the country of your birth.
    No, it just means that you don't give that much significance to your country on the global scale.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

When you are abroad, and someone asks you, "Where are you from?", what do you say? You don't say, for example, North Carolina, right? You say, "United States". Same here: some people prefer to not say, for example, "France", but, instead, "Europe".
    When I was in London I said I was from America...most people abroad don't differentiate the states, but take the US as a whole. ("A Yank" Yeah...)

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    I hate when they cut off your favorite song on the radio and start playing the national anthem. Then you have to pull your car over, get out and face the direction that the radio signal is coming from, and mentally envision Ronald Reagan signing all 56 names on the Declaration of Independence while he smokes a Marlboro.
    Thanks for the chuckle.

I think its a bit different. I would never say I'm from "Europe", I don't feel European at all, and I think a lot of people (especially the French) would definitely name the country they are from. But then again, Britain just voted for Brexit so maybe our attitude towards it is different to those on the mainland :P

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    So I was reading about the official national anthem etiquette in the United States and I saw this:

"If you are on the way to your seat at a sports event, or in any public place, and the first strains of the anthem are heard, stop where you are and stand at attention until the end. Don’t talk, chew gum, eat, or smoke during the singing of the anthem."

So like, if I hear the anthem in like a mall or something I'm meant to stop and stand at attention like a hypnotized zombie? I've only been living in the states a couple of years so this shit is still weird to me.

Have you ever done this or seen this? I'm talking about like how you would react if you overheard the anthem randomly and unexpectedly, not like when you're in a football stadium or something.
    The National Anthem is not just played randomly to see if we can catch you like a game of musical chairs.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    And how is that any different from saying the USA? When you say Europe you mean the EU. Europe hasn't been 50 individual nations for about 50 years now. It has rather been one nation with 28 member provinces and 22 outsider nations. Saying "Europe" is basically like saying "USA" at this point.

Edit: that being said I almost always say "Syracuse" because here in NC if you say NY people immediately think I'm from NYC which fills me with an unfathomable seething rage since I hate that city with an epic passion. Though if I was in Europe I's say "the US"
    Last edited by Rizendragon; 2016-08-21 at 02:57 AM.

No, it just means that you don't give that much significance to your country on the global scale.
    It's not about "country."
    It's about how "you" feel about the country.

If it's insignificant, then I guess I do understand why a person would feel just as such, and feel it's more important to identify as a "United States of Europe."

And how is that any different from saying the USA? When you say Europe you mean the EU. Europe hasn't been 50 individual nations for about 50 years now. It has rather been one nation with 28 member provinces and 22 outsider nations. Saying "Europe" is basically like saying "USA" at this point.
    At a structural level it does seem similar to the US, with the same currency, it's own flag, no borders, shared laws etc. I can see why you'd think that, but on a personal level, there are many, many people living in Europe who would disagree.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If i was visiting Europe and they asked me I would say, "Ohio, US."

I've met people that said they were from Norway, Germany, Sweden, France, and Greece.
    Not one of them said they were from Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    That's complete and utter bullshit. Saying Europe rather than your country is not like saying the US rather than your state. Typically if I'm talking to someone outside the US, I'd just say I'm from the US. If I talked to someone from the US, I'd say which state I'm from.
    Then you don't know history my friend. The equivelent would be saying "North America" rather than "the US". Europe is basically one large nation at this point and the member states of the EU need to stop acting like the EU is a farce...

Europe is basically one large nation at this point and the member states of the EU need to stop acting like the EU is a farce...
    Oh but they are now aren't they?

And a fragile farce I should wonder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    I think its a bit different. I would never say I'm from "Europe", I don't feel European at all, and I think a lot of people (especially the French) would definitely name the country they are from. But then again, Britain just voted for Brexit so maybe our attitude towards it is different to those on the mainland :P
    Well, depends on the person! I've seen some people responding to, "Where are you from?", with, "Middle East", or "Asia". Then, I saw people just mentioning the city from another country, which doesn't give much information to someone who hasn't lived there.

It's not about "country."
    It's about how "you" feel about the country.

If it's insignificant, then I guess I do understand why a person would feel just as such, and feel it's more important to identify as a "United States of Europe."
    Even if it is significant, the person doesn't necessarily care about that country enough to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by sherenei View Post
    When you, unjustifiably, say in an aggresive manner that my opinion is not valid because of where im from, you are just thinking with the mindset you've been indoctrinated in. Im not my country's past or laws, I'm someone who uses his part in his country to change it for the better, not content with just being part of what it supposedly represents, and above all, I don't let my nationality become a personal matter, because no single country takes fully to practice anything that it supposedly represents.
    "Indoctrinated?"

Pot meet kettle.

But it doesn't look like it's working for you...

Even if it is significant, the person doesn't necessarily care about that country enough to mention it.
    You knda hit the nail on the head there...at an oblique angle but..yeah, I would simply say they don't care about their respective country period.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you, unjustifiably, say in an aggresive manner that my opinion is not valid because of where im from, you are just thinking with the mindset you've been indoctrinated in. Im not my country's past or laws, I'm someone who uses his part in his country to change it for the better, not content with just being part of what it supposedly represents, and above all, I don't let my nationality become a personal matter, because no single country takes fully to practice anything that it supposedly represents.
    I never once said your opinion was invalid. I actually explicitly said that no country was better than another.

No, it's not. There are such dynamically different countries in Europe. What is saying North America rather than the US equivalent to? No one would ever say they're just from North America. That includes the US, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Costa Rica, Honduras, etc. Do you know what a continent is?
    7 continents in the world. Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, South America, and North America. If I need to spell this out for you then you missed the metaphor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh but they are now aren't they?

And a fragile farce I should wonder.
    Maybe Europeans should stop acting so damned snooty towards Americans when it comes to nationalism then, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Well you did say that I "should not be talking about these things because im european" didn't you?...
    I guess I did. I guess it also shows why generalizing all Americans together is a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no one says they're from North America if asked where they are from. That's where I'm saying your analogy doesn't work.
    Which is why I think saying "Europe" is better than saying "The USA" is nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    When I was at Ft Hood in the Army the 4th ID building played the national anthem every day at like 5 o'clock. If you were on base and outside you stopped what you were doing, stood at attention, and saluted til it was over. Even if you were driving you stopped, got out and paid respects. It's about respect.

edit: Wait no that was for taps. Sorry not the national anthem. Either way it's about respect.
    Taps is played late in the evening, to signify lights out. You were listening to the retreating of the Colors. It's the one where everyone dives to get indoors before it goes off.